• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Likely, but as was pointed out by several people, there seems to be some measurement error, which is tough to pin down because the measurements were not accompanied by the information need to interpret or repeat them.

Seems to be very sticky error because I cannot make it go away and it doesn't happen with any other devices I have (quite many)...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant on here. But I think he might still be here, just not actively posting judging by his profile.
JohnYang.jpg

John's last post was January 11

Edit: I'm glad he's working hard to develop new products rather than hanging out her answering silly or marginally relevant questions.

Last edited:

mccririck

Considering the OP has short-listed a US$20K+ DAC and already owns an amp costing roughly around that much, there must be other forums better suited to his question.
Certainly of you want to avoid the "any differences will not be audible" comments.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has a real job.
I dont know why anyone would choose to fiddle around with widgets and solder rather than getting harangued by punters on here ?!?!?!

Robin L

Master Contributor
I dont know why anyone would choose to fiddle around with widgets and solder rather than getting harangued by punters on here ?!?!?!
I doubt you understand the deep attraction of soldering.

[When the alchemists of old were attempting to transmogrify lead into gold, they were really into it on account of the fumes.]

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
If I ask you for credible evidence to support your claims, you think I'm the one responsible for generating it for you?

:rolleyes:
The evidence is accumulating by the day. Find a way to collate/reference it and it could be good material for a thesis.

Darkstar

In reply to amir’s topic start:
Should we consider budget?
Imho money well spend does get you better sq
I somehow feel this forum is a place where people on a budget get together for comfort.
I do agree it is good to be critical but wonder what real world experience amir and his hardcore followers have, anyone of you downgraded bigtime because they could without loss in fidelity?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Imho money well spend does get you better sq

Thats pretty much the point of the place.

Key is making it 'well spent,' and not simply spending more because that is somehow supposed to make it sound better.

I do agree it is good to be critical but wonder what real world experience amir...

Did you look into it? Here's a start.

anyone of you downgraded bigtime because they could without loss in fidelity?

What's 'big time?'

I sent back a pretty expensive Auralic DAC after finding all those veils that I clearly heard lifted were just as lifted with every other DAC I had around once I implemented some basic controls...the ones reviewers almost never use. I learned why. I spent the money on 9 JBL professional monitors to make a pretty remarkable theater. I don't feel I downgraded my system with that choice.

For me, I haven't spent less than I may have otherwise, I've just allocated my resources very differently and have learned a lot along the way about the phoolishness out there.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Loudspeakers don’t measure exactly the same, they can be pretty similar.
Keith

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would agree... sortof.
Measurements can tell you if it has flaws and how audible they might be, but not in my room unless they deviations are pretty severe.
Also the tonal balance (in a treated room) is quite predictable.

I certainly cannot tell from measurements how a speaker is going to sound in my room or anyone else's room.
For headphones the correlation (for me) is better.
For electronics there are no secrets (when all essential measurements are done)

Top Bottom