• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Interface for fully digital Genelec system

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

I may have asked this in another thread but I can't remember to be honest so I'll post again just to nail it down once and for all.

My aim is to have a "fully digital" set up with an all Genelec system (mains and subs) so I will not need a DAC for the purest digital signal for my speakers.
My sources are USB (soon to be AES/EBU due to a change of music source) and Toslink and I require an AES/EBU output.
The interface needs to have the above inputs and output and must pass up to 192kHz 32 Bit at 0dB faultlessly.
It would be great if the interface had a remote for source selection but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world of it didn't as it is only me that listens to music anyway and I don't have ROON doing anything when it isn't being used so it wouldn't be passing a signal which could conflict with the TOSLINK input.

I will be using the Genelec remote control for volume.

Can anyone point me to such a device?

Thanks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AES3 does not support 32-bit audio anyway, so makes sense the device will not support it either.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Yes, I believe that will work for you. Do note it has no USB input, but you said you wouldn't need that with a change of source. Not sure it is 32 bit or 24 bit, but really I'd say that is of no consequence either way.
Yeah, looks like it could work. No remote control though which is a shame....

You'd think there would be multiple devices out there but it all seems to revolve around the use of a DAC.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
AES3 does not support 32-bit audio anyway, so makes sense the device will not support it either.
Didn't know this? Not that it matters really. I'm limited by the DAC in the Genelecs anyway and I think they're capacity is 192 kHz at 24bit if I'm not mistaken.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know this? Not that it matters really. I'm limited by the DAC in the Genelecs anyway and I think they're capacity is 192 kHz at 24bit if I'm not mistaken.
That seems to be the case. However, the DSP works with 24/96 for the tweeter and 24/48 for the rest.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
That seems to be the case. However, the DSP works with 24/96 for the tweeter and 24/48 for the rest.
So you've just confirmed that I know absolutely nothing about the speakers I use! :facepalm::D

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jae

Major Contributor
Where’s the AES digital output?
On the back, it uses a breakout cable.

EBU-SPDIF.jpg

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
If you want a headphone amp and ADC as well, and a lighter wallet can't get much more useful than https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html
Yeah, true. I used to own the ordinary FS version and it was awesome. Shouldn't have sold it really but you live and learn I guess.

The ADI Pro would tick a lot a boxes but it's still a DAC which I don't need. It's a tough decision really.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ADI Pro would tick a lot a boxes but it's still a DAC which I don't need. It's a tough decision really.
You may want to listen via headphones, and it costs less.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Any particular reason? This would achieve exactly what you're asking for.

Impedance mismatch? Perhaps wouldn't be an issue though
Only because I use a Harmony Remote for ease for use for the family so it has to work for all of us really.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
You may want to listen via headphones, and it costs less.
That's a fair point. I have considered headphones at night when all is quiet.....

Top Bottom