• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec GLM software and the 7350A Subwoofer

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey-hey. Thanks for the welcome :)

Running two 73XX series subs is no problem for GLM as the manual already provides instruction for daisy-chaining, though it does entail a bit more work at setup.

On another thought, maybe it would be worth considering just doing a single bigger one instead of two? Would simplify the setup and perhaps be lighter on the wallet.

In any case, I'm sure you'll love the result. And those subs are built like tanks. Same as everything Genelec really, which I absolutely love about it.
You're welcome!

Yeah, I had a quick read of my own manual and saw the same thing. :cool:

I considered the larger sub idea but it would overwhelm my lounge and really annoy the wife! :D
I do like the industrial look of them though to be honest and wouldn't mind getting them wrapped or powder coated to suit the colour of the lounge better.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Sancus.

I feel I need to explain my reasoning behind this idea and my current set up so you might understand what I'm trying to achieve.

My current subs are 12" sealed and will easily go to 14hz in my room which, although sounds good, in actual fact it's uncomfortable in reality. Its far too much low end to be enjoyable. Their design is old school in that the are class AB with a huge toroidal transformer inside. These transformers hum like you wouldn't believe. Sometimes they're almost silent but them they will hum and it is clearly audible.

The time has come to move them on for something more modern but, I don't want to buy single ended as the subs introduce ground loops. Problem is, the cheapest decent subs with balanced inputs are at least £1500 a piece and I don't have that sort of budget. I've looked at the Genelec 7350A instead, can pick them up for £899 each which is more affordable and have the added benefit of being able to blend with my 8341's easily with the GLM software.

I'm thinking that, although they're only 8", I will gain a few DB due to boundary gain plus another few DB due to having two of them. I may not quite reach 16-17hz but it'll be close.....in my head it will be anyway......

Well, there are other solutions to ground loops... but anyway if you buy 2x7350A, GLM will phase align each one to a single monitor and then EQ it in isolation, so it may not end up with a smooth response. Though if your existing subs are just EQed with Dirac then you should be able to achieve the same results with GLM, because baseline Dirac doesn't do multi-sub either.

You can also enter filters manually into GLM so that's an option if needed.

lvy

I'm using 2x 8351A + 2x 7350 at 73dB usually at 1m distance in a concrete room.

GLM won't fix deep nulls (unless with W371A) but it can bring down the excessive frequencies & gives a cleaner bass especially with GLM 4.1.x onwards.
With 2 subs you can have better frequencies (if the sub able to cover each other nulls in your room) & wider low frequency envelopment with the right content.

this is my 7350 fr
7350.png

add in 7360 which I borrowed from my dealer to test with GLM 3.x for your reference. I picked 7350 because it is good enough for my needs.
1647852249333.png

I would recommend if possible you borrow a GLM kit from ur dealer to play around 1st.
You would need to set the Left sub to channel A & Right sub to channel B to stereo sub with digital AES input.
1647851390160.png

GLM will auto calibrate & auto phase.
You can do manual adjustment later which I think you can study from the GLM manual.
1647851557555.png

Eng

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was in the same situation between 2 7350s and 1 7360. I went with the one 7360 with the option to add a second.

It’s worked out for me. At my listening position i’m pretty flat down to about 20Hz with the sub against the wall but closer to the right monitor. It is phase aligned with the right monitor.

It has a crazy peak under 50Hz due to room boundary. GLM has to cut it down quite a bit. So there is a lot of headroom. I bet a 7350 would have been quite enough.

The only issue I have is the right monitor has a deep dip at 110Hz. I’m hoping the sub crossed over at 100Hz (GLM does not allow for a higher frequency for the crossover) is correcting that. I cannot know using GLM as it does not present a combined output of the sub and monitor.

I would wait for that kind capability before investing in a second sub.

Edit: when I reread this today I feel like I was wrong then. I ended up getting another 7360 and it also is not enough in my new room. I have also a 7380 on order. You pretty much cannot have enough bass.

Last edited:

lvy

I guess dip at 110Hz should be fine as the crossover at 100Hz should be a gradual crossover slope...

The GLM fr response which shows the combined sub & monitor only if u hv W371A... haha...

Other option u will need to use UMIK-1 + REW...

Last edited:

goskers

The nudge for me is likely because I just returned from a visit to Genelec USA this past Friday. The primary reason for my visit was to experience the different immersive formats in the hopes of charting a future system plan.
If you have a one seat room then there is a good chance that one Genelec sub + GLM can give you a satisfactory result. If you have a one seat room and are able to move this sub around then you have a good degree of probability to have a successful result. If you want more than one seat then I would still recommend multiple subs if possible.
The Genelec experience center has one sub for the bed channels and another for the height channels. Reason being is that the floor bounce/cancellation is similar on the lower speakers. The height channels are also the same distance from the floor so another sub is dedicated to counter this cancellation. The result worked quite well and makes good sense.

mkt

The nudge for me is likely because I just returned from a visit to Genelec USA this past Friday. The primary reason for my visit was to experience the different immersive formats in the hopes of charting a future system plan.
If you have a one seat room then there is a good chance that one Genelec sub + GLM can give you a satisfactory result. If you have a one seat room and are able to move this sub around then you have a good degree of probability to have a successful result. If you want more than one seat then I would still recommend multiple subs if possible.
The Genelec experience center has one sub for the bed channels and another for the height channels. Reason being is that the floor bounce/cancellation is similar on the lower speakers. The height channels are also the same distance from the floor so another sub is dedicated to counter this cancellation. The result worked quite well and makes good sense.
Are there Genelec subs that can do bass management for more channels than 7.1? Or do you need another sub or box?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Well, there are other solutions to ground loops... but anyway if you buy 2x7350A, GLM will phase align each one to a single monitor and then EQ it in isolation, so it may not end up with a smooth response. Though if your existing subs are just EQed with Dirac then you should be able to achieve the same results with GLM, because baseline Dirac doesn't do multi-sub either.

You can also enter filters manually into GLM so that's an option if needed.
Its not just the ground loops, it's the transformer hum that really gets to me. Sick if hearing it if I'm honest. Anyway, my two sub positions are quite good for 3 positions across a sofa without any EQ applied. I don't use DIRAC as I just don't like what it does to the sound so that's always switched off. I use REW measurements which are manually input into the SHD. Probably 3 filters needed max really.

I'm not sure I like the sound of GLM doing EQ on the subs individually as the whole point of multiple subs is to blend them together as one single sub.

goskers

Are there Genelec subs that can do bass management for more channels than 7.1? Or do you need another sub or box?
I believe each sub can manage a 7.1. GLM can handle as many subs as you want but I think it is limited to two with full automation. More than this would require manual output management until the desired level is achieved.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hi all.

I have a question regarding the Genelec GLM software and how it integrates the "7" series SAM subwoofers with compatible SAM Monitors.

I am considering replacing my aged 12" sealed active subwoofers (Analogue RCA input only) with the 7350A to create a purely Digital signal flow from my 8341AWM's.
Currently, I use two subwoofers to cancel out the huge nulls/peaks in my lounge via a minidsp SHD and that works very well.
I get a flat frequency response from 17hz right up to my cross-over point which is great but this leads on to my question, will I need two 7350A's in my room to obtain the same flat response or does the GLM software do some sort of trickery to do the same but with just one 7350A?

As good as the GLM software is, I can't see how the DSP can break the laws of physics by creating the same flat response from just one subwoofer!

Any of you Genelec owners use two or more subs or is just the one sub ok?
At first , be sure that you feed your 8341 monitors with a good digital signal with the ability to use a 24 bit volume control in digital domain. This can be done with the GLM kit or an external digital USB bridge or digital source.
Then, I would say that the 7350 is a very good choice if you got a smaller room. The GLM gives you the ability to get a very good integration with 8341. Two subwoofers is even better, but you can always buy one 7350 at first.
I would say that two 7350 probably integrates better than one 7360, thus gonna sound more natural, but the 7360 goes slightly deeper in bass.
I have a friend who has two 7360 and thats endgame for him.

Last edited:

Iskariota

At first , be sure that you feed your 8341 monitors with a good digital signal with the ability to use volume control in digital domain. This can be done with the GLM kit or an external digital USB bridge or digital source.
Then, I would say that the 7350 is a very good choice if you got a smaller room. The GLM gives you ability to get a very good integration with 8341. Two subwoofers is even better.
IMO there really is no requirement to feed the monitors over AES/EBU. I feed my 7360A from the analog outputs of an RME ADI-2 DAC, volume in the unit is fixed at 0.0dBr and, as you point out, I control it exclusively using the GLM which is definitely the way to go on a Genelec SAM setup.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 7350A is an 8" sub with a -6dB point of 22hz. It's not gonna be flat to 17hz, and it's not going to be able to play as loud as your existing subs. Personally I would stay away from Genelec subs unless you have the budget for higher end ones. It's not worth it.

You already have a miniDSP SHD, get some normal 12" sealed subs like SVS or Arendal and use Multi-Sub Optimizer.

Where do you feel the scales tip for Genelec subs? 2x 7350s is exact same price as 1x 7360, at least here in the USA. That's currently my conundrum. It's for my office so it's basically 1 listening position, music only.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
At first , be sure that you feed your 8341 monitors with a good digital signal with the ability to use a 24 bit volume control in digital domain. This can be done with the GLM kit or an external digital USB bridge or digital source.
Then, I would say that the 7350 is a very good choice if you got a smaller room. The GLM gives you the ability to get a very good integration with 8341. Two subwoofers is even better, but you can always buy one 7350 at first.
I would say that two 7350 probably integrates better than one 7360, thus gonna sound more natural, but the 7360 goes slightly deeper in bass.
I have a friend who has two 7360 and thats endgame for him.

My lounge is 3.9 x 4.5 metres so is considered small and I know from previous experience that my particular room definitely needs two subs as the peaks and nulls are just too much for any room correction software to deal with when just one sub is in play.

I would much prefer two 7350's due to the footprint of the subs for a start and the price. I can't justify spending £3200 for two 7360's as much as I would like to! :oops:

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Where do you feel the scales tip for Genelec subs? 2x 7350s is exact same price as 1x 7360, at least here in the USA. That's currently my conundrum. It's for my office so it's basically 1 listening position, music only.
In my experience, two subs beats one sub hands down. Placing two subs in positions that are mutually beneficial is far better the "one note" bass you tend to get with one sub. If you're a REW user, you can measure the response of each sub individually and use the "alignment" tool to simulate a combined response. You can also tweak the delays for an optimal setting. has always worked well for me in the past.

Once you have a good combined response, let your DSP do the rest.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
IMO there really is no requirement to feed the monitors over AES/EBU. I feed my 7360A from the analog outputs of an RME ADI-2 DAC, volume in the unit is fixed at 0.0dBr and, as you point out, I control it exclusively using the GLM which is definitely the way to go on a Genelec SAM setup.

This is what I want to do to be honest but, because I'm in home environment, it has to be wife friendly.
I use a Harmony remote which does all my source selection, volume control etc etc and it just works.

I would like to utilise something like the RME ADI2 Pro as I will have source selection then set it to 0.00dBr BUT.... I would need to have the GLM kit permanently on and have that volume control dial at the couch all the time but its on a lead and could easily be incorrectly used by the wife (or kids). Its a shame Genelec have no other means of volume control really.

Iskariota

This is what I want to do to be honest but, because I'm in home environment, it has to be wife friendly.
I use a Harmony remote which does all my source selection, volume control etc etc and it just works.

I would like to utilise something like the RME ADI2 Pro as I will have source selection then set it to 0.00dBr BUT.... I would need to have the GLM kit permanently on and have that volume control dial at the couch all the time but its on a lead and could easily be incorrectly used by the wife (or kids). Its a shame Genelec have no other means of volume control really.
Oh, but it does have other means of control :) There is a remote control - two in fact:

The 9101A which is the first model (I have this one, it's perfect for me) and there is also the slightly more advanced 9101AM-B which also lets you switch presets remotely. For music only the 9101A is completely sufficient IMO.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Oh, but it does have other means of control :) There is a remote control - two in fact:

The 9101A which is the first model (I have this one, it's perfect for me) and there is also the slightly more advanced 9101AM-B which also lets you switch presets remotely. For music only the 9101A is completely sufficient IMO.
So this remote control will pair with the GLM kit? I didn't realise the GLM kit had a IR receiver!

That sound promising....:)
So just to clarify, I have two inputs:

1 x Optical
1 x AES/EBU

So I'll need a device that has those inputs and an AES/EBU output if I want to keep everything in the digital domain.
Now the RME pro is quite an expensive device so is there a device out there that has the above features but isn't as expensive?

What is a usb bridge?

Iskariota

So this remote control will pair with the GLM kit? I didn't realise the GLM kit had a IR receiver!
The remote is radio-based. It's made specifically for GLM and the box picks it up from almost everywhere :)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
The remote is radio-based. It's made specifically for GLM and the box picks it up from almost everywhere :)
No way!! :D

So I just need to find a suitable digital input switcher that can be harmony controlled and I'm golden. Something tells me this part won't be easy.....:facepalm:

Top Bottom