• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

i am trying to understand your logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

airborne

i already know the answer but i want to know what YOU think the answer is

why do you people think that real speaker companies do not use Dayton drivers ?

when i say real speaker companies i mean companies that do not target the DIY market.

JBL will actually buy BMS tweeters, rebadge them as JBL and use them in their own speakers ...

but somehow no company seems to be doing that with Dayton drivers.

why is that ?

F

freemansteve

Very few companies originate components, some can afford to and do; most buy various parts from 3rd parties (and of those plenty pretend they don't use 3rd party). It's all about production processes and price-points when putting together anything for sale.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They may well be using the same drivers or other ones made at the same factories but with different branding.

The main thing separating commercial requirements from DIY is consistency.

F

freemansteve

They may well be using the same drivers or other ones made at the same factories but with different branding.

The main thing separating commercial requirements from DIY is consistency.

And volume. Which comes to the same thing if one has been involved in production!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
why do you people think that real speaker companies do not use Dayton drivers ?
Is that true? Do you have some "inside information" about Dayton's sales?

Their website says, "Our engineering team collaborates with OEM/ODM partners in order to create optimized, personalized product platforms."

Katji

Major Contributor
[ REDACTED ]

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's fairly atypical for manufacturers to specify the precise models or OEMs of their drivers in the first place. They'll usually seize any opportunity to use the words "proprietary technology" and "revolutionary".

OP
A

airborne

a lot of good points but you're all missing the biggest point ...

components that go behind a black metal grille of a professional loudspeaker are judged on performance ...

components that are sold to DIYers are judged on aesthetics so you can marvel at their beauty before building some garbage speaker out of them ...

drivers designed to perform like JBL differential drive woofers look industrial. somebody on my level can instantly tell by looking at them they are NOT designed to be sold to DIY market but to perform. it is evident in the design.

the opposite goes for Dayton.

Dayton drivers look "audiophile" because they are designed primarily to LOOK fancy. it is basically a form of Jewelry for audiophools who fancy themselves speaker designers. they are about as functional as a swiss watch, except they are Chinese.

there is a difference between a "clock" and a "time piece" ...

a clock tells time. a "time piece" is a piece of jewelry.

nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't completely ret@rded and don't start believing that a $10,000 swiss watch is able to keep time better than the free clock in your phone. it will NEVER even APPROACH the time keeping ability of the FREE clock included with the cheapest phone.

as long as you understand that you are buying a toy because it looks fancy - there is nothing wrong with that.

but i hope you don't actually think that when you go to the Olympics and open up the Omega clocks there that you will find a hand-made in switzerland mechanism in there ...

please get a clue. the reason you don't find some things inside of other things is because some things are just for show !

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
components that go behind the grille are judged on performance ...
This is not the case. It is the visual characteristics on which manufacturers spend the most money, which is why crossovers, directivity control and bracing are often so abysmal.

A prime example of this is the $10,000 TuneTot.

1648752881985.png

components that are sold to DIYers are judged on aesthetics ...
Dayton Audio and various other popular OEMs provide customers with far more detailed data than that of almost any speaker manufacturer.

OP
A

airborne

A prime example of this is the $10,000 TuneTot.

View attachment 196788

essentially all "audiophile" products are trash.

i am only interested in prosound and OEM components.

and i would only buy a complete speaker from a company that has a large prosound or studio monitor business like JBL or Genelec.

but the biggest Genelec monitors ( the dual 18" ones ) are about as small as i would be willing to go on a speaker and at that price point DIY makes more sense ...

DIY makes no sense as alternative to high-volume commercial products but it makes sense as alternative to ultra-high-end niche products like Genelec Main Monitors ...

you can't compete with stuff mass produced in China but you Can compete with stuff hand made in Europe.

D

Deleted member 21219

essentially all "audiophile" products are trash.
Wrong. Even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes.

i am only interested in prosound and OEM components.
and i would only buy a complete speaker from a company that has a large prosound or studio monitor business like JBL or Genelec.
That's your choice. Other people have other choices.

DIY makes no sense as alternative to high-volume commercial products but it makes sense as alternative to ultra-high-end niche products like Genelec Main Monitors ...
DIY makes perfect sense to people who want exactly what they want, the way they want it ......

you can't compete with stuff mass produced in China but you Can compete with stuff hand made in Europe.
.... and it also makes sense for people who are simply interested in learning the process. Competition is not on their mind at all. Jim

OP
A

airborne

DIY makes perfect sense to people who want exactly what they want, the way they want it ......

yes but what if what they want is wrong ? ( hint: it is )

what ??? that's SUBJECTIVE !

no it's not ...

i dated a girl once who used to sell her feces on craigslist for huge money ... i try not to think of what kind of people bought this "product" or what they did with it and also i try not to think of Dayton drivers or what people do with them ...

sometimes getting what you want isn't the answer.

sometimes the answer is to seek help ...

i guess i'm just fundamentally different from other people. i always strive to update my model of reality to the most accurate one that can be developed based on available evidence. other people just want their delusions validated.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
@airborne your troll fest is done. Take a break and when you come back stop starting threads like this. Your basically insulting every DIYer here. If all you have in you is hate, don’t bother coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom