• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cessaro Liszt four way horns

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I believe the TADs are decent drivers fairly flat but only over a fairly limited frequency range, hence the multi driver approach.
Keith

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
TAD 2" compression drivers have a very wide frequency range, it's audiophile round horns that cause them to beam in the upper limits of the horn, so another horn has to be used, which does the same as the previous horn at its upper range so another horn above that needs to be used.

In something like a large constant directivity horn a TAD (4001, 4003) will go all the way to 20 KHz, they just need some EQ like all constant directivity horns do.

Reactions: pos
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TAD 2" compression drivers have a very wide frequency range, it's audiophile round horns that cause them to beam in the upper limits of the horn, so another horn has to be used, which does the same as the previous horn at its upper range so another horn above that needs to be used.

In something like a large constant directivity horn a TAD (4001, 4003) will go all the way to 20 KHz, they just need some EQ like all constant directivity horns do.

Although they’re beryllium, you’d still expect to see some break-up in the top couple of octaves from a diaphragm that size, plus some (maybe) problematic higher order modes from that 2” exit. Would love to see some measurements in a nice constant directivity horn to see to what extent this is true, and whether it might be worth the trade-off for avoiding a crossover in the upper mids / treble.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Although they’re beryllium, you’d still expect to see some break-up in the top couple of octaves from a diaphragm that size, plus some (maybe) problematic higher order modes from that 2” exit. Would love to see some measurements in a nice constant directivity horn to see to what extent this is true, and whether it might be worth the trade-off for avoiding a crossover in the upper mids / treble.

This is about the best I had saved, not a very common way to plot CSDs:

Driver that came with the K-402 horn that Klipsh labels as "K-69" which is a relabeled compression driver with aluminum diaphragm
OdzD60N.png

TAD 4002:
Bzyr3WB.png

I consider myself very sensitive to tweeter/compression driver breakup (including constant directivity waveguides with the compression drivers), as I just can not tolerate it at active listening levels. As much as I tried I could not hear it on the TAD.

If a crossover can be made to have a superb directivity match with a mid/treble horn (and a smaller format compression driver on the treble horn, say a 1" exit) I am all for it. The issue is I have not seen any that can do this and not be some monstrosity that is incredibly tall and requires you to listen to them from very very far away to create a point source image. The audiophile branded horn speakers horribly fail at both things giving you a true sense of awareness that you are listening to horn speakers.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is about the best I had saved, not a very common way to plot CSDs:

Driver that came with the K-402 horn that Klipsh labels as "K-69" which is a relabeled compression driver with aluminum diaphragm
OdzD60N.png

TAD 4002:
Bzyr3WB.png

I consider myself very sensitive to tweeter/compression driver breakup (including constant directivity waveguides with the compression drivers), as I just can not tolerate it at active listening levels. As much as I tried I could not hear it on the TAD.

If a crossover can be made to have a superb directivity match with a mid/treble horn (and a smaller format compression driver on the treble horn, say a 1" exit) I am all for it. The issue is I have not seen any that can do this and not be some monstrosity that is incredibly tall and requires you to listen to them from very very far away to create a point source image. The audiophile branded horn speakers horribly fail at both things giving you a true sense of awareness that you are listening to horn speakers.

Thanks, that’s a really impressive CSD :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you know anyone with a horn ‘bent’, Cessaro Liszt four way semi-active,

Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dude, you need to straighten up a bit,
And maybe some wire management. LOL ;)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Cessaro Liszt and Revel Salon 2’s unsold, I am beginning to sense that large speakers might not be as desireable as they once were!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A further 20% reduction for today only now just £52k inc vat, delivery and installation .
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
20% reduction on Cessaro Liszt , grey,damp Saturday continues!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Horn fancier with large room and understanding wife sought.
Keith

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
For all I know listening to these is better than sex, but they look too weird to have in my house.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Obviously I don’t know what the quality of sex is like at your place but if you send Thomas a tape ...
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Cessaro ‘Liszt’ four way horns need a largish new home.

Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The close-up of the white horn reminds me of something that belongs in a bathroom.
Sorry

Top Bottom