• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mini KEF R3 vs Philharmonic BMR review

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

kenimaru

Take "The Digital Feed ABX test"linked in the article attached, good luck.
It's not about lossy or lossless, on my Sonos which is lossy anyway, Spotify streams sound worse than AM, so much so that even my wife can tell. Both are at highest bit rate the device can support, it has something to do with the master source more than the actual codec.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It's not about lossy or lossless, on my Sonos which is lossy anyway, Spotify streams sound worse than AM, so much so that even my wife can tell. Both are at highest bit rate the device can support, it has something to do with the master source more than the actual codec.
Interesting logic.
I suggest something is wrong with your speakers, not Spotify nor the Master the file it is derived from.
Millions use it everyday. I use it everyday and never once has it sounded less than stellar nor ever like Am radio. Not once.

kenimaru

Apple Music not AM radio. To be clear, the difference is not the compression, since it's well established that at 320kbps, most codec are almost indistinguishable from lossless, but the whole sound signature is just different. Since Apple is usually tight lipped about their process, I spent a week doing A/B test and look for information, but can only speculate that either Apple's compression tool is better, or that they are using a superior master than Spotify. It's also not some Apple hardware magic, I'm using Android and Windows and can reproduce the results in addition to Sonos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom