• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parlor trick exposed

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OPPs, the site went down there for a few minutes. I was worried Nordost had pulled the plug on us. :eek:

Yep. I'm pretty sure that cease and desist letter isn't worth more than the paper it's printed on.
Ya never know. One thing we all learned from OJ is the fact that you can get any kind of justice you want if you have the right amount of money and right mouthpiece. :(

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OPPs, the site went down there for a few minutes. I was worried Nordost had pulled the plug on us. :eek:

Haha, that was my first thought as well. "Oh crap!" :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Does anyone have the original post? Way back machine search?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Thanks. I am thinking about a legal strategy.

The only way to know about that CD is to get ahold of it. The only way to do that would be to steal one or simply ask for a copy of one. I wouldn't advise theft of course. But it may be possible to get them to voluntarily give one away. But that would require a good story or a request from a dealer or a good customer. I'm not either one so I think it's best to ignore this stuff. IMO, it's foolish to publish stuff like this because now Mark opens himself up to a lawsuit which is tough to defend because he doesn't have any evidence to support his claims other than his subjective claims. Truth is a defense but it's Mark burden to prove that it's true there were level differences. He simply can't do that with the evidence currently available.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
The only other way to get ahold of the CD would be for a government agency (district attorney, US attorney or some other government agency's counsel) to get s search warrant signed by a judge. I believe an affidavit of probable cause could be made which would be sufficient to establish what's needed. An officer would then go to the demo and order Nordost to hand over the CD. Once that happens, the government agency could analyze the disc and determine whether the levels have been changed. If Mark's claims are verified this way, a criminal fraud/theft case could be referred to the Grand Jury for further investigation into who should be indicted.

Does anyone know a prosecutor interested in such a strategy?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Michael, you don't think there are plenty of emails going back and forth at Nordost that would substantiate such a CD existing, if it indeed it did exist in this manner? I know you have to be well into the trial to request such but does that hold water?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Their Lawyer will just show Mark raised the volume on one of his own remasters a dB and the tables are turned.

OP
AJ Soundfield

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Nordost is at Newport show next month.
You're both in luck. I had a pretty alluring offer to exhibit with some folks there, but alas, real life intrudes and the schedule won't allow it.

It will be interesting to see if they get questions on this and whether they change their demos.
Oh "they" will. Parlors tricks don't work so well when the cats out of the bag so to speak.
The question, like the Audioquest one, is whether the gent at Axpona was an "official" representative/employee of the company or a mere street performer. Wise companies would create a little room between themselves and such, for when the act goes bad.
Them and a bunch of other companies (think magic dots, etc) may have to come up with a demo new scheme....not that any of this will affect believers one bit. It won't. Most likely the opposite.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Ive been to these demos. Many cables are sold on the spot and the folks working the room are Nordost employees.

I agree with Amir. If Mark is right, it's very ballsy to try this stuff.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I just don't get it; Mark described what he saw, and also read what another person saw too. He shared his seeings....why does he have to delete them?
Too much.

Anyway, it's too late for Nordost now. Next cable manufacturer, and next any audio manufacturer with deceptive tactics and claims.
The cat is out of the bag, the trick out of the parlor and has been exposed. Life continue its current.

Nordost played the game, and Mark was there playing along (observing). Tomorrow will take care of itself, and we will take care of each other, look out for each other, and support each other...

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
He doesn't.
Yes, he does. There is a cease and desist order from Nordost's attorneys about Waldrep's potentially libelous postings. If Waldrep does not comply, he will be sued. Since Waldrep has no real evidence, like that demo disc which likely has already been shredded, he has got no defense. I cannot blame Waldrep for capitulating.

BTW, it is not libel if the claim is true. The problem is risking you can prove it is true.

Unfortunately, it appears to this non-lawyer as though the law is on Nordost's side, regardless of the actual truth of the matter. I am strongly inclined to believe Waldrep's account of it, however. That may be to no avail, because except for a few threads that still have access to Waldrep's original posts, now officially taken down on his site, most audiophiles will never know about these allegations, especially not the mega bucks types who typically buy Nordost cables, especially power cables. My heart bleeds for those unfortunate souls, the downtrodden victims. Is there no justice?

But, it should come as no surprise to those here that the cable hucksters need to resort to shady and underhanded practices to generate sales. I think we already know that if they tried to take the high road by demonstrating measurable or bias-controlled listening advantages it just ain't gonna work. They have the resources to do that, but they don't. As with the earlier case of AudioQuest, this pretty well demonstrates their claims are vacuous to my satisfaction, as if I did not already know.

Top Bottom