• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Ah if only this had relay controlled / stepped attenuator volume control for perfect channel matching.

Very happy with my SMSL SP400 for this reason.

nagster

According to the spec sheet, A30pro has 6W (16ohm load) output when 2.7Vrms signal (XLR or RCA) is input.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
According to the spec sheet, A30pro has 6W (16ohm load) output when 2.7Vrms signal (XLR or RCA) is input.

Thanks, I am not an engineer, just an enthusiast. But it seems to me 6W is going to be all I ever need, this stack is my end game. I will focus on headphones from now on, I actually have a pair of Aeon RT on the way!

Wuzel

No, it theoretical clips at ~2,7V.
I tested it only with 30Ohm load and need above ~4,5V at XLR - volume complete right - to bring it to clip.
All load above it will never clip - under 5V input.

Penultima

Hello All, new user here.
I just received the A30/D30 pro stack and during checking I noticed a rattling sound coming from the A30 when shaken.
Is this sound normal or might there be something loose inside?
The D30 is completely silent.
Ive recorded a short video with the rattling sound.
https://www109.zippyshare.com/v/l23U6oLz/file.html
I will appreciate anyone's help.

Lupin

Hello All, new user here.
I just received the A30/D30 pro stack and during checking I noticed a rattling sound coming from the A30 when shaken.
Is this sound normal or might there be something loose inside?
The D30 is completely silent.
Ive recorded a short video with the rattling sound.
https://www109.zippyshare.com/v/l23U6oLz/file.html
I will appreciate anyone's help.
A30pro should not rattle. I would contact the seller and request a free replacement A30Pro.
It will prolly work just fine but right now you're well within the return window so might as well make use of it imho.

nagster

Thanks, I am not an engineer, just an enthusiast. But it seems to me 6W is going to be all I ever need, this stack is my end game. I will focus on headphones from now on, I actually have a pair of Aeon RT on the way!
I'm sorry. I wasn't doing the calculations.
The input signal voltage required for a 6W (16ohm) output is approximately 1.96Vrms (gain=H).

AlexTSG

So is this not a true balanced output?

The A30 Pro doesn't have a balanced internal design, but it does support the things people actually buy balanced amplifiers for.

It supports balanced input from a DAC, and it has balanced headphone connector types with output power levels that are similar to those from a true balanced amplifier. The A30 Pro would still offer the advantages of using a balanced headphone output for extremely long cable runs to your headphones, for example.

The Topping A90 has a balanced design throughout, and offers similar output power from its XLR and 4.4mm "balanced" outputs, but less power than the A30 Pro when connecting via the 6.35mm single ended (SE) headphone output.

Last edited:

Rayman30

Forum Donor
The A30 Pro doesn't have a balanced internal design, but it does support the things people actually buy balanced amplifiers for.

It supports balanced input from a DAC, and it has balanced headphone connector types with output power levels that are similar to those from a true balanced amplifier. The A30 Pro would still offer the advantages of using a balanced headphone output for extremely long cable runs to your headphones, for example.

The Topping A90 for example, has a balanced design throughout, and offers similar output power from its XLR and 4.4mm "balanced" outputs, but less power than the A30 Pro when connecting via the 6.35mm single ended (SE) headphone output.

Are there any advantages of spending more money for a balanced cable vs. single ended with the A30 Pro?

AlexTSG

Are there any advantages of spending more money for a balanced cable vs. single ended with the A30 Pro?

You may get a little more power out of the XLR output compared to the 6.35mm (1/4 inch) output.

The measurements in the review show 0.73w (SE) vs 0.81w (XLR) at 300 ohms.

I'm waiting on an XLR cable for my headphones, not for the extra power, but because the XLR connector is further away from the volume dial, which works better for my desk layout (it will run past my keyboard, instead of around it).

Rayman30

Forum Donor
You may get a little more power out of the XLR output compared to the 6.35mm (1/4 inch) output.

I'm waiting on an XLR cable for my headphones, not for the extra power, but because the XLR connector is further away from the volume dial, which works better for my desk layout (it will run past my keyboard, instead of around it).

I am considering ordering a Periapt cable to replace the heavy industrial cable that came with my LCD-X. I could go with SE which would allow more compatibility with my other amps, if I get a XLR or 4.4mm cable for the A30 Pro then I will have to cable swap. I am just not sure its worth the inconvenience.

AlexTSG

As I have the Topping D30 Pro on the way to complete my stack so I needed some short XLR patch cables. I found some I liked at Hart Audio Cables. (https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...-3-pin-xlr-patch-cable?variant=32619629379665)

While I was ordering those I picked up an XLR cable for my Hifimans.

Hart Audio has a nice system where they sell the headphone cable and the interconnect for the amp as separate pieces, so you can get cables for all your headphones, and connectors for all your amps, and then mix and match them. They connect to each other via a mini XLR.

The cables are only due to arrive later this week, so I can't say how they compare to my stock cable, but the couple of reviews I found were all good.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I just picked up some cheap ones for use in the stack. I have tried cables from Artic Cables and Periapt, the ones from Periapt it seems like you could tow a truck with them, unfortunately I have had issues with the fabric coming out of the heat shrink on the Artic Cables.

Lupin

I highly doubt that the 0.08W is going to make a meaningful difference in any situation. I say that with regular use there is no difference between SE and balanced headphones output on the A30 Pro and certainly nothing worth spending extra cash on those fancy balanced headphones cables.

The A30 Pro supports balanced where it does matter, the input.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I highly doubt that the 0.08W is going to make a meaningful difference in any situation. I say that with regular use there is no difference between SE and balanced headphones output on the A30 Pro and certainly nothing worth spending extra cash on those fancy balanced headphones cables.

The A30 Pro supports balanced where it does matter, the input.

Thanks, I had already ordered a SE cable, this validates that decision.

Electrolite

I'm sorry. I wasn't doing the calculations.
The input signal voltage required for a 6W (16ohm) output is approximately 1.96Vrms (gain=H).
So even if my DAC only outputs 2 Vrms from RCA I still get 6w at 16ohm from the amp?

Electrolite

2*10^(14/20)=10 so you will get 10Vrms output with 2Vrms input and gain set to +14dB.
10Vrms^2/16Ω=6.25W

That's actually scary, looks like my DAC is more than enough....
Can you explain the formula used to calculate the output voltage? What are the numbers here: 2*10^(14/20)=10

Top Bottom