• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum Audio Verum 1 Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 87 45.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 71 36.8%

• Total voters

Atyne

No, 4-wire SE. Full-length return wires come from both drivers and connect together at the sleeve terminal of the TRS plug going to the amp. This can give you a good -15 dB in the crosstalk vs. a Y-shaped return, which effectively doubles the crosstalk rejection for the Verum 1 because it's already at only -15 dB with the stock cable. Of course you could also do this with a "balanced" cable if you had a TRRS to TRS adaptor or if the amp socket was made to short the two returns together for SE operation. (The point is I'm not talking about a benefit of "balanced" amps, just the better cable.)
Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the "return" word, so you mean the ground on the stock Verum cable isn't isolated for each channel but tangled from where 2 cables merge into one, thus the V vs Y return structure right?
that super-thin shoelace-soft AliExpress cable they ship with has a ton of common ground resistance because of its "Y" return wire structure and thin wires used (1.8 ohms per channel!). You do the voltage divider math vs. the 6-8 ohm driver and you can immediately see the crosstalk is atrocious
I'm sorry I'm a noob here, just trying to learn. How did you measure the 1.8Ω? I don't have my multimeter anymore but if it can say anything, I measured the resistance of Verum with the Hifiman cable at 6.5/7.2Ω.
maybe first try to confirm the one you have is really 4-wire: when you measure the resistance from the sleeve of the left cup plug to the sleeve of the right cup plug it should be 2x the resistance from either of those to the sleeve of the amp-side plug, showing a "V" structure of the return wires.
So if I understand correctly, if it's a Y structure it would be less than twice because it needs to travel only to the point where they merge?
Maybe try more songs, get a more quiet environment, pay more attention, switch the cable faster, pause in the middle of the same song when you switch the cable... IDK. There are many reasons you wouldn't hear the difference, but electrically it's there, it's undeniable. I heard the difference with the 2016 HE-400i cable
I wasn't paying too much attention to the soundstage, just tried to swap them back and forth a few times and couldn't tell the difference. Then, I was using them with the Hifiman cable the whole time and even with that cable, the soundstage was quite disappointing. I would say the soundstage and imaging were about the same as HE4XX - claustrophobic soundstage and average imaging. And even the tuning was actually quite similar except for the treble being more neutral on Verum. Oratory's measurement also supports it:
Although, I don't know which pads are which. He measured them with "leather" and "stock" pads but doesn't remember which were perforated. Both are leather and both were stock at some point :)

abm0

Forum Donor
you mean the ground on the stock Verum cable isn't isolated for each channel but tangled from where 2 cables merge into one, thus the V vs Y return structure right?
I mean they're not isolated overall because they still touch at the amp plug sleeve, but yes, in the badly designed case they touch too high up and introduce too much resistance into the common part, leading to high crosstalk. (This is fine for old-school monitoring headphones with 300-600 ohm drivers though because those still achieve a very good ratio of wire-to-driver impedance just because of the drivers. So it's not an issue when Beyer does this for its Pro models and puts the whole cable on one side, with grounds joined super early.)
How did you measure the 1.8Ω? I don't have my multimeter anymore but if it can say anything, I measured the resistance of Verum with the Hifiman cable at 6.5/7.2Ω.
Like I told you about the structure check: I measured the cable separately and I got something like 0.9 ohms for the signal part and the GND/return part each, for a total of 1.8 over the whole circuit for one channel. HiFiMan gave me 0.4 each for 0.8 total. My Verum driver is very close to the stated impedance when measured as a resistor, I think I got a 7.9 ohms or so.
So if I understand correctly, if it's a Y structure it would be less than twice because it needs to travel only to the point where they merge?
Yup.
I was using them with the Hifiman cable the whole time and even with that cable, the soundstage was quite disappointing. I would say the soundstage and imaging were about the same as HE4XX - claustrophobic soundstage and average imaging.
Well, if you don't like the stage of the 4xx that's a separate issue, I never said the 400i had the best stage in the world either, I just like it far more than the stock Verum. Of course my KSC75 gives me a bigger stage than the 400i, but it is what it is, you can't have everything in a single headphone at these "normal-people" prices (yet?). :p

Last edited:

Lustig

Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the "return" word, so you mean the ground on the stock Verum cable isn't isolated for each channel but tangled from where 2 cables merge into one, thus the V vs Y return structure right?

I'm sorry I'm a noob here, just trying to learn. How did you measure the 1.8Ω? I don't have my multimeter anymore but if it can say anything, I measured the resistance of Verum with the Hifiman cable at 6.5/7.2Ω.

I wasn't paying too much attention to the soundstage, just tried to swap them back and forth a few times and couldn't tell the difference. Then, I was using them with the Hifiman cable the whole time and even with that cable, the soundstage was quite disappointing. I would say the soundstage and imaging were about the same as HE4XX - claustrophobic soundstage and average imaging. And even the tuning was actually quite similar except for the treble being more neutral on Verum. Oratory's measurement also supports it:
Although, I don't know which pads are which. He measured them with "leather" and "stock" pads but doesn't remember which were perforated. Both are leather and both were stock at some point :)
I’m not sure I get the complaints about soundstage… the Verum to me has the largest overall soundstage of the headphones in my collection. To the point where I have, when playing video games, thought a sound was out of the house vs from the cans. But that’s just my perception. However, the HE4XX, which I also have, their soundstage is very meh… like Meh minus minus

ArsenalODoom

Cheers. Maybe i should go to headphones made around 2010, some had 5 or more drivers in them and tried to provide a more out of the head experience.
Try to find the 12 driver, (6 each side), Bluedio Victory circa 2016, good luck, lol.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ArsenalODoom

I might, i might.

Welcome stranger.:cool:
Make sure it's Bluedio Victory V1, V2 was panned by V1 owners who bought it to compare. There is a clone of the V1, the WAVZS KT-1, also currently difficult to find (from 2019), it is a carbon copy clone and said to perform as well as the V1.

More on topic, thoroughly enjoying my pre-owned Verum 1 MK2's, received with angled pads, needed to replace bad stock cable, got an 8 core silver plated cable.

Thank U - Cheers!

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just because my opinion and yours don't match does not mean that what i'm saying is nonsense, perhaps you would have liked a more nuanced explanation and the use of best value rather than best headphone, but still, far from nonsense.
DCA Aeon RT is a better headphone, doesn't need eq out of the box, very nice to wear and comfortable, a little more money and a really nice guy to give it to.

Metronomy

DCA Aeon RT is a better headphone, doesn't need eq out of the box, very nice to wear and comfortable, a little more money and a really nice guy to give it to.
The curious thing is that the Verum could use it on the go with a dongle but then it is too bulky while the Aeon Rt is very portable but needs a real amplifier that precludes its mobility.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The Hifiman Sundara is easily the better planar headphone for this price range. I honestly don't see what makes this headphone 'Great'. It's a fine to not terrible imo.
I would say that is highly subjective. I had an Edition X V2 on hand and compared it to the Verum 1 and I liked the Verum 1 quite a bit feeling the bass quality was quite good. I had been on the Sundara tour and while I agree it is a nice headphone and arguably well worth the money, there is no way that I would have preferred it over my Edition X V2 and given that the Verum 1 was pretty competitive with the Edition X V2 I would be shocked if the Sundara was perceived by me as better than the Verum 1. See, subjective.

c0z

I ordered a pair from Verum on January 2nd before I knew anything about the scandal, etc.. But after reading all the reviews I was glad I ordered them since he hasn't actually caused anyone harm.. and couldn't wait to experience them. BUT. I know the situation in Ukraine is dire, so chances of getting my cans is probably s#!+ canned. Most unfortunate. ;~; I hope they are ok. No update from Verum since a month ago anywhere online..

I just want to listen to expansive grand piano music in my apartment without pissing off the neighbors (had to sell my sub monitor and speakers because the walls were shaking)!

I wonder if anyone on this forum would be interested in selling me their Verum 1 mkII cans? Either that or order the next headphone I came across: the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x open backs. Or a pair of Planars as close to Reference quality as possible with that open room vibe.

I feel bad for feeling frustrated I just wasted 350 bucks on cans I'll never receive, knowing the situation over there.. but I could use that money towards other cans. So I opened a dispute with my bank. ^^;

I'll do some forum searching for the best open backs for piano and prog rock listening.

In the mean time, would the ATH-R70x be a good option, or something else for what I want, notably the aforementioned "speakers in the room" sensation the Verums give on the ears?

Cheers, y'all!

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Consider the HE400SE.
It's a planar, half the price and a bit clearer sounding as well.

Charkov (where Garuspik lived) is not in a good shape any more.
I fear, when he survives the war, he may have to start all over again. Probably not from Ukrainian soil but Russian. I wish him well.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I abhor the war and the crimes against humanity, but I can't feel good about anybody describing enjoying killing others. I know I have the luxury of being safe, but not a fan of killing and war. It all disgusts me. Such a shame to see such barbarity, really breaks my heart. Poor Ukraine.

inscythe

@inscythe I doubt your post will remain posted. I'm not a religious person but amen to that! :mad:
Indeed, I wasn't sure my post was within the forum rules anyway. For those who are curious about Igor's situation, it's still up on Verum's main page for now.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I am not sure when or if this thread would derail so let me get this out of my system.

These are the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever worn. Even the Abyss1266 are better than these. The clamping force is ridiculously strong. The metal pieces are too elastic and won't stay stretched. I bought a replacement headband on Aliexpress. I had to drill the holes bigger but it worked nonetheless. The stock pads are also very stiff. Both the leather and the foam are stiff. This makes the mid-bass punchy but sub-bass lacking. It reminded me of the Fostex TH-X00 which also uses angled leather pads: there is bass, but there is no deep bass. I have tried four different pads and I currently settled on the ZMF auteur perforated pads. Now these headphones have slightly more high frequency and softer bass. But the pads plus headband costs about $200, which makes the whole combo cost more than $500.

So, if you want good sound, care about comfort, and are willing to spend more than $500, you should... just get the Hifiman Edition XS plus Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, This combo is much better.
Plot twist: Edition XS is long gone and the Verum stays and doubles. The XS is just like most audiophile headphones, delivering the wow factor upon initial purchase but starting to irritate me with their "details, air, resolution" as days go by.
E62A6E93-1D27-4999-806E-057D6855A727.jpeg

andivax

Forum Donor
I've made a super quality cable for Verum's and it was FAIL.
Stock cable is cheap and good chinese. It adds "depth" (may be because of crossfeed) and adds high frequencies.
Also all measurements in the Internet have done using stock cables. Including RealPhones. So... I just throw my "quality" cable and using stock one.
Happy Verum user here!

andivax

Forum Donor
I've made a comparison with LCD-2 half year ago. Love lows of Audeze, the rest is Verum territory. Especially mids.
Also Verums are MUCH louder. So you will need less demanding headphone amp.
I am using RME UFX II headphones amp.

Yesterday me and Ukrainian's one of the best drummer Alexander Murenko compared LCD-2 and Verum-1 again and... It will sell his LCD's.

D

Deleted member 51065

As I have explained before, you have distortion shown at 3 loudness steps separated by 10 dB. So if you boost 10 dB -- which I did not, you go from the blue line to the red one. To the extent 104 dBSPL results is low distortion, you have ample room to boost as much as 10 dB:
index.php

I would measure this for you instead of writing these answers but I have no way of importing the EQ into Audio Precision pipeline to make a measurement. I have a work-around but it is a pain to use so I don't bother.
A problem with these measurements is that they are based on sweeps and not music; so at best a rough guide maybe. Amir does listen to music with the gear (I hope) but then this is often just personal preference, which is fine, I do the same. A huge problem is that a lot of people don't really know what music sounds like; so no real reference point.

Top Bottom