• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 to put together a desktop audio setup

Smitty2k1

If you had a $500 budget what would you do for a desktop audio setup? I'd be using my Windows PC as a source and already have headphones (Sennheiser HD598SR current using Apple USB-C dongle DAC).

Speakers - passive or powered?
Electronics - Separate DAC with powered speakers? Integrated with passive speakers? Separates with passive speakers?
Subwoofer - skip it at this price point?

I'm totally open to buying used if that matters.

Offler

I went for a pair of passive Elac DBR62 (350 Euro, which was really cheap) and NAD d3020v2. Total budged was 1000 Euro, and I spent just about 850 of it.

Now could be done cheaper with different amplifier.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Within that budget I'd personally go with:
  • powered speakers (~$300). I'd say new here to take advantage of the warranty period.
  • a desktop DAC, used (~$100)
  • a measurement mic (a UMIK1 costs ~$100). But you may be able to find this used for less.
    • install / learn REW (free)
Use REW to dial in the sound for your room. You can decide later whether you need a sub to handle the low end.

stemfencer

Option #1
Interface - Motu M2 $200
Speaker - JBL 305PMkii / Yamaha HS5

Option #2
DAC/AMP - Topping DX3 Pro $200
Speaker - JBL 305PMkii / Yamaha HS5

Option #1 is good enough for you headphones, nice tactile volume nob on the front for speaker volume, and options to have microphone input as well if that is something might do in future.
Option #2 far better headphone performance from DAC and amp performance, however I feel audio interface gives you some more feature(mic in, balanced out, volumn nob etc)

As per @RickSanchez , get a caliration microphone and use REW (free). UMIK1 is go-to but for your price recommendation, a Behringer into the interface will do the job.

For this price you are really compromise if try to squeeze a sub in. I would get decent quality 5" monitors as above, and add a JBL LSR310S or similar in the future for $400 if really want that bass.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
For this price you are really compromise if try to squeeze a sub in. I would get decent quality 5" monitors as above, and add a JBL LSR310S or similar in the future for $400 if really want that bass.
2nd this suggestion. Also consider Kali LP6 or LP8 at that price point.

If you use a PC as source and EqualizerAPO for correction, having different DACs for headphones and speakers makes it very easy to correct for each independently (without need to touch settings when using either).

1648226272183.png

MCH

Major Contributor
Dongle dac and volume control in the computer and put the extra money in the speakers? Additional benefit: You have a dongle dac when you need it.
Umik can be bought and sold almost at the same price (at least here in EU), I would not even count it in the 500$ budget. Maybe count 15$ as "rental"

F

freemansteve

If it were me, and if my music collection was on PC, or attached to my PC, I'd just run a UPnP/DLNA server on it (there are lots of free ones, I use Universal Media Server).

I'd then use a Pi as a streamer, possibly with a DAC hat, maybe running Volumio (but there are choices) to connect over the LAN.
Lots of decent DAC choices for a Pi and all well documented.

Then a small Class D power amp and your choice of speakers (I have no suggestions for either).

Spend the rest of the money on wine and fast-ish women.

I don't run this, but I came close, and ended spending a ton on Evo75/B&W/qAcoustics in order to not lose marital harmony.

OP
S

Smitty2k1

If it were me, and if my music collection was on PC, or attached to my PC, I'd just run a UPnP/DLNA server on it (there are lots of free ones, I use Universal Media Server).

I'd then use a Pi as a streamer, possibly with a DAC hat, maybe running Volumio (but there are choices) to connect over the LAN.
Lots of decent DAC choices for a Pi and all well documented.

Then a small Class D power amp and your choice of speakers (I have no suggestions for either).

Spend the rest of the money on wine and fast-ish women.

I don't run this, but I came close, and ended spending a ton on Evo75/B&W/qAcoustics in order to not lose marital harmony.
Basically yes, I'm looking for speaker and amp suggestions

Andretti60

it depends on how much space you have on the desk and how big is the room, sometimes it is not worth spending too much if the final results will be limited anyhow.
Is this your main listening system? Years ago I had a pair of powered near-field monitors connected to a DAC, but then I realized that when I am in front of a computer I am usually busy doing something else, and the music is just in the background, so I downgraded the system until it was the minimum acceptable. Now I work at home, I have a busy desk with an iMac and two monitors for my work laptop, I don't have any space left so I listen using a computer battery powered soundbar connected via bluetooth (so I have no cables at all), and that is all. I put my music as background, sometimes I even forget about it. As long as there is no distortion, I am fine with it. When I really want to listen to music I go in the living room, in the armchair in front of my main system.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I think I'd be inclined to just grab a Topping E30 and a set of the $200usd Adam T5V powered monitors Amirm reviewed recently and EQ the treble shelf and boom, done.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Smitty2k1 well that helps (to you) a lot.
Speakers proposition as new:
And get a good second hand amplifier cables and such for the rest of money. For example I got very little used Yamaha R-N402D for about 250$.
Spare later for deacent mesurument calibrated mic like UMIK 1 (78$) and other stuff you might like.

TimW

Major Contributor
What most people have said here already is good advice. I will just reiterate by saying at this price point and considering desk space, it makes most sense to go with entry level powered studio monitors like the JBL 306P, Adam T5V, Yamaha HS7, or Kali LP6 V2 (my pick). A decent subwoofer won't really fit into the budget and these monitors have acceptable bass extension for desktop use IMO.

You already have a dongle DAC that would work with the monitors but then you have to plug/unplug from the DAC to switch between them and headphones. And when you're dealing with powered speakers and single ended connections to a DAC connected to a PC it's not uncommon to end up with a buzzing ground loop. So my advice would be to upgrade to a DAC with balanced output for the speakers and a built in headphone amp for the headphones. In this price range there are a few different options in the interface category, such as the Motu M2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, or Audient iD4. There are also hifi options without the inputs but with higher performance headphone amps like the Khadas Tone2 Pro or the Topping EX5 but these push the budget.

Whatever you go with, definitely get a umik-1 and figure out how to eq the system with your PC. It makes a big difference.

OP
S

Smitty2k1

Lots of suggestions for powered monitors here. While I'm not opposed I'm looking for something that I can wall mount and sit maybe 48" away from. A lot of these either have rear ports or rear power cables. Am I going to have issues putting them too close to a wall? Is it my imagination or are passive speakers in this price category smaller?

The Toping DX3 Pro+ seems like a nice little piece of kit with the built in headphone amp and small footprint.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First gen Kali LP-6 are on closeout at Musician's Friend for $119 each

Grab a pair of those, and then pair it with a Motu M2 Pro USB interface. Julian Krause tested it, and it's very accurate with low output impedance for headphones.

TimW

Major Contributor
Lots of suggestions for powered monitors here. While I'm not opposed I'm looking for something that I can wall mount and sit maybe 48" away from. A lot of these either have rear ports or rear power cables. Am I going to have issues putting them too close to a wall? Is it my imagination or are passive speakers in this price category smaller?

The Toping DX3 Pro+ seems like a nice little piece of kit with the built in headphone amp and small footprint.
The Kali speakers are front ported and provide tuning switches for near wall placement. They used to sell wall mounts for the LP series but I'm not sure where to find those now, you could get aftermarket wall mounting brackets.

If you get the Topping DX3 Pro+ you're leaving very little in the budget for a power amplifier and speakers, and you might get a ground loop with powered monitors.

Top Bottom