• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Response to PS Audio on P12 PowerPlant Measurements (Video)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Paul enters a wall-outlet
mmiF5T.gif

JSmith

Gary_G

. What should happen now is that people should see how much money they took from COVID funding, and see what they did with that money. Maybe we have a little accounting issue to investigate.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Accidentally clicked on a PS Audio forum topic where they are discussing the merits of the $200 Purple fuse. Apparently it not only makes a night-and-day difference in sound quality, but is also highly directional, so you need to experiment with how you place this fuse to get the best sound out of ... your PS Audio regenerator... o_O:facepalm::rolleyes:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Accidentally clicked on a PS Audio forum topic where they are discussing the merits of the $200 Purple fuse. Apparently it not only makes a night-and-day difference in sound quality, but is also highly directional, so you need to experiment with how you place this fuse to get the best sound out of ... your PS Audio regenerator... o_O:facepalm::rolleyes:

haha...we're not too far away from audiophile deep dives into the merits of component positioning wrt sound quality. "I changed the orientation of my amp 10 degrees clockwise and holy shit! I didn't think it could possibly make any difference but I was so wrong...it's like night and day!

CinDyment

haha...we're not too far away from audiophile deep dives into the merits of component positioning wrt sound quality. "I changed the orientation of my amp 10 degrees clockwise and holy shit! I didn't think it could possibly make any difference but I was so wrong...it's like night and day!

Well it would probably make more difference than a fuse :)

Cecosan

I got asked so many times in so many places what I thought of PS Audio measurements of P12 that I thought I should do a video on it:
It is not only PS Audio, it is "Hi End" community where music and correctness of its reproduction do not play major role. Read mainstream Audio magazines, go to shows and listen to the potential buyers of multi$$$ systems. This is the community the owner of PS Audio is talking. And with measurements putting pants down from precious equipment Amir is the ENEMY.

For us, our ears and independent measurements are the guide. And some emotion, of course. For the latter blue VU meters are at our house, speakers are for avoiding center spot listening.

Felix

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I joined the PS Audio forum before ASR started reviewing the Power Plants and asked a question in that thread. I asked if PS Audio used those purple fuses in their equipment since everyone claims they sound superior to standard fuses. My (first and only) question was deleted and my account permanently banned. I contacted them asking for a clarification and never heard back from them with any reason why it was removed.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

No. Seriously? Come on. ;)

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Audiophile Feng Shui. I'm sure it's already a thing.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Seriously? Come on. ;)

I love fuses as much as the next guy, but I'd never put a purple fuse into my gear. Just on an esthetic level, it clashes with the color of my regenerator, and so I'm certain that it will degrade sound quality on that basis alone.

MAB

Major Contributor
And this is why the internet is such a complete mess. A total fiasco of unsubstantiated garbage, vested interests and complete circus clowns prosecuting their puerile agendas along with a baying peanut gallery of followers and enablers, none of whom possess even a modicum of independent thinking skills, letalone technical knowledge or understanding.

What's that famous saying again? "The best thing about the internet is that it gives everyone a voice. The worst thing about the internet is that it gives everyone a voice"

:facepalm:

Yes, internet is indeed a mess. Internet must feel to the informed much like walking into a high end audio store seems to the less informed, so some of this should be considered with that in mind. But, your point is well-taken. And, you have been calling for a cease-and-desist on this power plant, which is also fair given that we all want to hear about things we wish to buy...

Labjr

Major Contributor
Ted Denney of Synergistic Research is the Audiophile Voodoo Grand Master. Possibly more revered than The Dalai Lama.

thd

Have you contacted PSAudio about a refund? Make sure you do not say anything, just ask for information on how to proceed for returning your device give the current facts out. I would think that 12 of your peers would take your side, don't you?
Thank you! I haven't asked yet for a refund and am planning to asap. This is all just so overwhelming. I agree, I hope to find more owners who are in the same boat as me. I also have a Stellar Phono, and at this point would just like PS Audio to allow me to return all of my gear. Zero confidence.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! Yep. Its wild that so many people there refuse to believe the truth being presented, and even possibly believe they were duped as well. Feels like they are already too far gone.

Personally I think some of the character attacks on Paul M. have gone a little far (especially on youtube comments).

These days especially we are very prone to throw around the accusation of lying. The problem is that if someone truly believes something that you think is obviously false, their adherence to it, and defense of that belief, can look indistinguishable from lying. As in "he HAS to know what he is saying isn't true, therefore he's lying."

But in terms of Paul McGowan's perspective...even if we take for sake of argument certain products don't provide the sonic benefits he and his company say they do....it can still come from a different "belief system" than many of us hold here. Once we are operating outside the realm of scientific controls (which most of us are in our daily lives) anyone can fall in to subjective inferences that are very, very convincing to them. That's the nature of subjective experience.

If I recall correctly, Paul McGowan has for a long time been on the side of "listening ultimately determines the worth of a product." And has puzzled over some things that measure right, but don't sound right. Plenty of manufacturers in high end audio can start out with legit technical chops, but insofar as they make that mental move that "Ultimately I'm going to trust my hearing over what I measure" then they start vetting their results of their engineering ideas in a way - sighted listening- that can re-enforce their beliefs that they are doing something right.

I have no problem believing that Paul McGowan and many in his company are of this mind-set, and therefore really do have an honest belief in their product.

Well, what about all this obvious evasion?

Again...someone who truly believes something in a way we don't can make all the moves that suggest a sort of lying/evasion. If you believe something false you end up HAVING to do that to protect your belief. I've seen it a billion times before. I mean, you can see this even in the PS Audio thread - you have some reasonable folk pointing out technical issues, and a number of the PS Audio consumers evading the points left right and center. It's not because they are lying. It's because they hold a strong belief that may not be defensible in the face of facts, and this is what the mind does in such cases.

I do have some level of empathy for Paul McGowan at the moment. He's a business man, and I don't reject the idea he believes in his product, and it is coming under fire very publicly so he essentially HAS to do what he can both in terms of allaying his own cognitive dissonance and protecting the company.

So, yes I think he is being evasive on certain issues, perhaps sometimes deliberately, but I personally am cautious about assuming he is a pure, duplicitous snake oil salesmen knowingly ripping off everyone. I don't have a problem inferring he believes in his products.

On the other hand, PS Audio is suffering the risk you take when you are selling something that can't stand up to critical, technical scrutiny. Whether it's by design or belief...you are vulnerable to the expert who comes along and bursts that bubble.

I'd think a company like, say, Benchmark, is much less vulnerable to this "blowing up in your face" problem, and would likely be much more attendant to technical defenses/explanations of their product when scrutinized.

CinDyment

So, yes I think he is being evasive on certain issues, perhaps sometimes deliberately, but I personally am cautious about assuming he is a pure, duplicitous snake oil salesmen knowingly ripping off everyone. I don't have a problem inferring he believes in his products.

On the other hand, PS Audio is suffering the risk you take when you are selling something that can't stand up to critical, technical scrutiny. Whether it's by design or belief...you are vulnerable to the expert who comes along and bursts that bubble.

My counter to this is their forums, which Paul actively participates in. It is total obfuscation, dog piling of anything negative, and the behavior allowed by the regulars, PS fans, is attrocious. If those people are the company you keep and encourage, then you deserve what you get.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I love fuses as much as the next guy, but I'd never put a purple fuse into my gear. Just on an esthetic level, it clashes with the color of my regenerator, and so I'm certain that it will degrade sound quality on that basis alone.

Yes, but did you know Jimi used a purple fuse in order to pen one of the greatest tracks of all time?:)

DonR

Major Contributor
Yes... but.... how would you know if you never LISTENED to one?

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you! I haven't asked yet for a refund and am planning to asap. This is all just so overwhelming. I agree, I hope to find more owners who are in the same boat as me. I also have a Stellar Phono, and at this point would just like PS Audio to allow me to return all of my gear. Zero confidence.
I don't know anything about their other gear. I would say if it works as it was supposed to you might want to keep it, but I understand how it feels to lose confidence in a seller.

I got a 'plat tested tube' with bent legs from an upscale audio vendor and never bought from them again, and dropped out completely from the fast tube game. Obviously if the most trusted vendor can make an error like that, then I can't trust any tube that I buy.

They have saved me thousands of dollars since I stopped completely buying from them, and had a vpi turntable in my sights! Got a cheap b&o off ebay instead.

Top Bottom