• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money

Votes: 324 89.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

Loathecliff

Light bulb moment.
The value of this one cable has rocketed.
Let the marketing commence:-
"A unique example of an AudioQuest NRG-X3. The one tested by Amir of ASR.
There will never be another like it."

EBay or Stereophile? Or??

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
At that resistance the voltage drop across the power cord would be tiny/miniscule. Not audible.
Thank you for an intelligent comment! I was starting to think this thread had gone off the rails. Good Work!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Thank you for continuing these type of tests.
I just love them for the humor and the hope that some nice audiofool will be helped from a BS purchase.
I can't accept that some companies are so shady and take advantage of average folks who essentially place trust in them.
What a horrible all around company Audioquest is, so many dubious and outright snaked products.
Really the worst of the worst, Nordost and Audioquest.
Add Shunyata!

GeekyBastard

I wonder which one's better, the NRG-X3 cable, or “NRG THE EVERYTHING GEL” in this MV? :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again, the more I think about it, it could just be how you used the cord between purchase and now.....did you keep it properly warmed up to stretch out the original burn-in factor? :)

ps Or horrors, you never properly burned it in....

Dzhaughn

Really, really low resistance. That's a very good thing, from an environmental perspective.

It would be interesting to calculate how long this thing would have to be in use to pay for itself in reduced line losses.
It would have to run for a negative amount of time, when you include the yearly $1 in interest you forgo.

Wouldn't it be better to use the low resistance cable for your electric appliances instead? Except for the heaters, there it doesn't matter. Plus, the power cord might make more sense of the food from your refrigerator.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Geeeeech! That does not bode well for Stereophile or AudioQuest. A load of malarky. :facepalm: So much for improving the hundreds of feet of lowly AC mains wire coming into the building this gets used in. :D
Yes, well, as we know, add a little bling to "cable ordinaire" and it becomes "cable premier cru".... this is another case where ABX tests might help convert the cultists.... - but given the measurements - they can go to that bother themselves!

Clearly, Amir failed to measure the truly critical parameters of performance..... (possibly the colour of the logo?, The amount of advertising $ spent?... that's it! there should be a special category... the "accounts" measurement - how much was spent on marketing/advertising....)

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
You see on TV many shows about companies being sued for this and that. You would think there ought to be some class action lawsuit against a HiFi company that lies about the performance on their product.
Because it is ridiculous how easy it is to prove ther claims are false.
Lower distortion = No
Lower Noise = No
Double blind test audible difference = Failed
The jury rules guilty.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They offer also higher model and claim this about it:

[NRG-Y3 replaces NRG-X3 – it also outperforms previous higher models]
A non-technical analogy for this might be that if you drop a coin in a tube with shampoo in it, no matter how wide (low resistance) that tube, the shampoo (the Characteristic Impedance) is going to get in the way (compromise current transients). Eliminating Characteristic Impedance (Zero means No in this application) is like having only air in the tube, as close to a vacuum as possible. Whether the amp is running at less than a watt or is fully maxed out, the unrestricted transients are visceral — something the whole body understands, no words required.

(attached pdf)

uncompressed SACD.jpg

Attachments

• 132948_5757_Audioquest_NRG_Y_NRG_Z_brochure.pdf
    576.9 KB · Views: 88

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't remember the company they sold, but I'm sure it was AudioQuest, considering that they still advertise it on their website.
I can see people falling for this garbage in the 1990's, but in the year 2021?
Really?
Yep for sure, the marketing for snake-oil cabling is MUCH stronger today than it was in the 90s.
Boutique style expensive cableing was just gaining a real foothold in the 90s and nothing at all as powerful as it is today. People haven't gotten smarter, they've been brainwashed to an extent I wouldn't have believed back then. 5 figure power cords and more for interconnects and speaker wire.
The audiophool world has gone insane but thanks to the contributions of ASR, Audioholics, and others I feel we may be starting to turn a corner.
From my lips to Gods ear. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You would think there ought to be some class action lawsuit against a HiFi company that lies about the performance on their product.
Because it is ridiculous how easy it is to prove ther claims are false.
Not so easy as you may think.
Stereophile will bring in 100 or 1,000 "expert" witnesses to claim they can hear things that we can't measure. Throw out all the usual attacks on DBT and how it stresses the listener in ways that he doesn't have to deal with in his preferred long term listening tests. If you've been around for long I'm sure you've heard it all and more. BS but sometimes it's hard to denounce.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep for sure, the marketing for snake-oil cabling is MUCH stronger today than it was in the 90s.
Boutique style expensive cableing was just gaining a real foothold in the 90s and nothing at all as powerful as it is today.
I remember in the early 90's customers asking if the cables make a difference and I told them they are good for a better connection. It was a grind selling them cables and for the extra money spent on cables I just told them to buy better speakers with the package they where looking at. I sold a ton of Yamaha packages. I wasn't into tossing cables into the deal and so I advised customers to spend the extra on speakers. That eliminated the grind of selling cables and got me out of including no-charge cables. I never sold a cable to a walk in that was only looking for cables. I left that for the front counter staff. In the early 90's the fat'n bigger cables where just starting to come out, like Monster Cable. Before that if a customer wanted a cable they had a choice of the $2 one or the $3 one...lol. We ordered them in by the thousands to get a good deal on them and sold them for pocket change.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At least AQ isn't charging an arm and a leg this time, just an arm or a leg! (Sarcasm! Still way overpriced, but not quite as much as their other stuff.)

Top Bottom