• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Stereo DAC & HP Amp Review (Video)

Endibol

Forum Donor
Follow up video to my review of Topping DX5 balanced stereo DAC and headphone amplifier with Bluetooth:

When I compare the measurements of this Topping DX5 with the Topping D90SE it looks like they are pretty identical in terms of THD+N. The DX5 offers in addition a top class headphone amplifier, at half the price of the D90SE.
Why would one still want to buy the D90SE? Less functionality, similar performance...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

Ismapics

Hello @amirm : please consider flipping the camera image in post. I know its really not related to the content, but it was somewhat of a ahhh? moment when you showed the DAC in your hand. Thanks for all the content. Cheers

PeteL

Major Contributor
And the Audioexpress 'article' is about as close to a company (AKM) sponsored puff-piece press release as you can get. Sad.
What is sad about that? Companies issue press releases to be "released" by the "press"... Not everything is a conspiracy... Sites need content to exist, they receive info, they relay info... I see nothing wrong. At some point we have to understand that all companies do some sort of marketing, it's not a crime...

Last edited:

biberfan

After watching the video, and inspired by your take down of the PS Audio regenerator, I thought I'd put some money behind this unit because I was in want of a desktop DAC/headphone amp combo and it was being offered at a price that spoke to quality without going overboard. I really wanted to test for myself how well things sounded that measured well.

I ordered direct from Shenzen Audio and it came well-packed (and quickly).

My first impression was that the sound was flat and not involving. I downloaded the firmware update that had come out a week later and I am guessing this was to address the "ESS hump." The sound at this point, maybe because of the update, or because of so-called burn-in, was darker and far more interesting and involving. I thought it sounded pretty darn good.

Then yesterday it started fritzing out on me stuck in an "updata" loop that wouldn't stop. I finally managed to get the unit to stop and play and then it cut out again after 45 mins of listening and started back in this update loop again. Then I smelled burnt plastic.

I've contacted the company for a refund or return. Not happy with the quality control. I'm hoping other buyers fare better.

Top Bottom