• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does that tonearm automatically compensate for off-center records? If not, what's up with the servo mechanism?
It's probably to electronically lift and dampen the arm, maybe even for antiscate or stylus pressure.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From https://www.mysonic.space/biotracer-turntables :

The object of the exercise was to reduce/eliminate arm resonance electronically, as opposed to the mechanical damping methods employed by other arm manufacturers, and currently universally employed. The Biotracer arm movements were entirely controlled by coils (motors). Other coils within the arm were used to detect vibrations caused by unwanted resonances. If such vibrations occurred, an electrical signal was generated by the coils, sent to a feedback circuit and an opposing force applied to the arm electronically to counteract the unwanted motion. This had the effect of controlling low frequency resonance to a great degree, with consequent associated benefits throughout the frequency spectrum, including providing extraordinary stereo separation.

Think of it like multi-axis image sensor stabilization for a camera... only it's for your tonearm.

biotracer.jpg

It's one of those things that later 'high-end mass-market' turntables had (Denon had their variant as well) that is just worlds beyond what you can get these days, at pretty much any price.

Here's mine:
IMG_20200104_155653627_HDR (1).jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's one of those things that later 'high-end mass-market' turntables had (Denon had their variant as well) that is just worlds beyond what you can get these days, at pretty much any price.
Denons variant of Q-dampening was called "Dynamic Servo Tracer", and it made the tonearm look like a prop in a StarWars movie, just like the Sony one. There is a list with manufacturers made by a chap at Audiokarma: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/does-q-damp-really-work.629031/#post-8331720

JVC, Yamaha, Denon, Sony and possibly other had Q-dampening in some models at that time.
denon.jpg

mcdonalk

This is a recent picture of our Beogram 4002 which we bought new in the mid '70's:

our_4002_2.jpg

Several months ago, it was restored by Soundsmith (www.sound-smith.com) to a like-new condition. (Soundsmith manufacturers the cartridges for the current Beogram 4000c). Soundsmith did a wonderful job, and it cost me a very small fraction of a 4000c. Soundsmith evaluated my existing cartridge and advised me that there were hundreds of operational hours remaining. They could instead have recommended and charged me addiitonally for a new cartridge as part of the restoration, and I would have been none the wiser and would have agreed. But instead they did the right thing.

Other than keeping this turntable fully operational so that I can listen to a few LP's from our early days that have meaning for us, I have no interest in vinyl.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
From https://www.mysonic.space/biotracer-turntables :

Think of it like multi-axis image sensor stabilization for a camera... only it's for your tonearm.

View attachment 191068

Yep, I had the Sony PS-X65, similar but without the biotracer. Pretty amazing performer - even very warped records were tracked without issue.

nikosidis

My old Rega Planar 3. Still in service :)
Ortofon quintet blue pickup.
IMG_20220312_180948592.jpg
IMG_20220312_180913090.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

nikosidis

Mate, get a micro fibre cloth, some windex and clean your stuff. too have dust all the time, but it's not a thick layer one can peel off.:p
Haha :D I like it dusty :p

DYgBbEqeqaEy

IMG_7977.jpeg

Clearaudio Concept
I purchased off eBay without a cartridge about seven years ago and never got around to setting it up. Last month I got it out of storage, ordered a Goldring E3, IFI Zen Phono, and got it all set up.
It's quite austere (minimalist?) in design and function but seems to do the job.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a nice and futuristic design. Never saw one like it.
In the waning days of analog, Japanese makers all had a 'statement' model. Technics made the SP-10 Mk3 with various EPA tonearms. Kenwood sold their L07d. Micro had the belt drive thing down. IMO, the Denon was the most impressive. I think someone here on ASR has the armless model.

If the new prospective owner of Denon, Mr. Pulse Oximetry, wants to be recognized as a serious ride or die player, the first thing he'll do is resurrect the DP-100M. But my guess is that he's more interested in selling mid-tier AVRs. To a bean counter trying to actually make money, that probably makes more sense. :facepalm:

Top Bottom