• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 39 8.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 90.9%

• Total voters

HansHolland

From my B&W AS2 subwoofer manual:

View attachment 195117
"For 2-channel operation, use speaker level rather than line level connections. The subwoofer presents a high impedance load to the stereo power amplifier and takes very little current, so may be connected in parallel with the main speakers with no adverse effects."

So you can connect a subwoofer using speaker wire from the speaker terminals of the subwoofer to the speaker terminals of your amp, in parallel with your speakers. A powerful amp like this one from Audiophonics should have no problem supplying power to both the speakers and the subwoofer.
WAIT:

This will only work if the minus outputs of the amp are at ground level and/or the inputs of the subwoofer have a differential input stage!
Otherwise you are shorting the outputs of your power amp.

EdW

WAIT:

This will only work if the minus outputs of the amp are at ground level and/or the inputs of the subwoofer have a differential input stage!
Otherwise you are shorting the outputs of your power amp.
With this Audiophonics amp one channel is running anti phase with reversed polarity I/O connection so your caveat about this possible mode of operation is timely!

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So you can connect a subwoofer using speaker wire from the speaker terminals of the subwoofer to the speaker terminals of your amp, in parallel with your speakers. A powerful amp like this one from Audiophonics should have no problem supplying power to both the speakers and the subwoofer.
That would mean that the sub and the mains get the same signal, which would put unnecessary strain on small drivers. Part of why I use a sub is not having the full extent of 30Hz and below on my 6.5" drivers.

My sub has outputs that pass through the input signal pre DSP, so DAC -> Sub -> Poweramp would easily be possible w/o signal degradation but I'd still need a high pass filter in front of the power amp or my mains get the whole brunt of the low frequencies.

Anyhow, I don't want to derail the thread into off topic. Sometimes I'm just frustrated to see all these high end components that are, in many respects, still stuck in the stone age.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
That would mean that the sub and the mains get the same signal, which would put unnecessary strain on small drivers. Part of why I use a sub is not having the full extent of 30Hz and below on my 6.5" drivers.
True, a pre-amp with sub out is a better choice, but better yet would be an integrated amp based on NCore or Purify modules. Only NAD is making an effort down that route, I don't understand why there aren't more offerings around.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, a pre-amp with sub out is a better choice, but better yet would be an integrated amp based on NCore or Purify modules. Only NAD is making an effort down that route, I don't understand why there aren't more offerings around.
They have designs that sell good. Why invest?

There will be a point where they all wake up and get hectic, that is the moment to make bank as a NCore/Purify consultant.

jmillar

Really great performance, but gave is a "Just" fine, based on construction looking rather low cost in "Some" ways, and how it seems not so much not a good value, but fairly high priced for "What it is", meaning, Great I would reserve for it being at least a few hundred dollars less or so.

Being someone that can DIY, and has an Electrical Engineering background etc, I simply do not "See" a lot of expensive stuff in that half empty box to really justify the price (completely)
Build your own Purifi based amp? Right. You (and I) know how. But after checking with the providers we realize we only save a couple of hundred €. Not cost effective! :)

PeteL

Major Contributor
better yet would be an integrated amp based on NCore or Purify modules. Only NAD is making an effort down that route, I don't understand why there aren't more offerings around.
I think the main reason why manufacturers don't go that route is because it's expensive, and to a lesser degree, because some brand would feel it dilutes their prestige to have the power amp stage designed by someone else. I think that the number of new companies that go and assemble these power amps make us think it's an affordable solution, but it's only affordable because there is no engineering, no R&D, no electronic design no real important certification cost since the modules and PSUs are pre certified, no dealer margin. Companies that can often be completely run by one person who's the owner and do it from his basement, etc. Now make an integrated from an established company using this, and all these perks go out the window.

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a cheaper "RCA only" version?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Do you know any power amp that offers subwoofer integration? I don't think it's the job of them.

I used to own a Rotel RB-1050 that did. It looped the input to a set of RCA outputs, which could be used for multi-room setups, bi-amping or active sub integration. A handy feature if your source or pre-amp only has one set of output jacks.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
From their site: Our customer service is available from Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm to answer your questions by mail. I presume they mean email. Can you pick up the phone and speak with them, in a language both ends of the line understand? Something to consider.
There is no phone number for customer service. My experience though is that they reply fairly promptly (within 24 hours or so) and competently.

For a “super Purifi design” though, I chose @boXem | audio , and it has exceeded my expectations!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think so, not at Audiophonics. But their NCore products usually come in RCA or XLR. Maybe that is something you would be interested in, as they usually perform also very good (not this good, but almost) and you save some serious money.

If you need the same power, look for amps based on the NP502MP module, if you don't need that much power, check out the NP252MP module.

garbz

From my B&W AS2 subwoofer manual
That's an outlier. B&W's low to mid tier offerings are far more flexible than most subwoofers on the market. Even their own high end options don't have speaker inputs. It's the reason I own an ASW610, the subwoofer I *wanted* to use I couldn't.
There's nothing to be gained cost wise other than a pair of connectors and a switch. This is actually the case with many amplifier designs, the RCA only input in many cases simply shorts one input to ground as for performance reasons many amplifier designs (including the buffers used in this one) already have differential inputs suitable for XLR connections.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hum... are you sure your calculations are correct?!:p

BTW, VTV build quality is extremely poor when comparing to what you get from @Apollon Audio, @Audiophonics or @boXem | audio... I really see no point to buy overseas when you have great manufacturers nearby .;)
Not going to get into a debate over VTV's build quality but "extremely poor" is, IMO a bit of an exaggeration. True, we've all seen cleaner but it doesn't take much time or effort to improve the wiring/layout. Just ask @Rick Sykora - buy the VTV and send it to him-then the build quality/layout is up to par.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not going to get into a debate over VTV's build quality but "extremely poor" is, IMO a bit of an exaggeration. True, we've all seen cleaner but it doesn't take much time or effort to improve the wiring/layout. Just ask @Rick Sykora - buy the VTV and send it to him-then the build quality/layout is up to par.

I agree btw and now that I see VTV is testing with an AP, should improve their quality.

Am willing to help, but is not a big revenue stream for me. Would rather see folks happy with their initial purchase and not need my help. I just PMed with someone and shipping remains a hurdle. For that matter, if the manufacturer warranty still applies, would rather not get in the middle anyway. ;)

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be the norm on most Purifi-based amps. Unlike the Hypex modules, the Purifi 1ET400A does not have a clipping indication on its simple hardware interface.

To get a clipping indication you'd have to have a microcontroller controlling and monitoring the modules over their full-featured I2C interface, and the only amp I'm aware of that does that is the very-expensive Vera Audio.
And the upcoming offerings from @Buckeye Amps .

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree btw and now that I see VTV is testing with an AP, should improve their quality.

Am willing to help, but is not a big revenue stream for me. Would rather see folks happy with their initial purchase and not need my help. I just PMed with someone and shipping remains a hurdle. For that matter, if the manufacturer warranty still applies, would rather not get in the middle anyway. ;)

All said, meant to add that also agree with @VintageFlanker in that would not go out of my way to buy VTV if I had a good local alternative. :)

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't, you would do it by slipping them 2 more SINAD points or something, for a briefcase full of cash.
Not saying it happens, but it could be done, we would never know and you would wear a golden watch all of a sudden.

I'll monitor your videos for a "Sponsored by $company" shirt.:p
...keep an eye out for the new Rolex on @amirm's wrist.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I don't think so, not at Audiophonics. But their NCore products usually come in RCA or XLR. Maybe that is something you would be interested in, as they usually perform also very good (not this good, but almost) and you save some serious money.

If you need the same power, look for amps based on the NP502MP module, if you don't need that much power, check out the NP252MP module.
These Purifi modules have similar power as the NC252MP. The Ncore 500 serie offer significantly more.

prerich

I'm perplexed....an amazing review and amazing stats.....for something it appears that I could put together for a lot less than the advertised $1638 USD. I understand when you buy high end stuff, you're actually paying for jewelry. However with this amp, there's none of that and very little inside as well. Could someone do this for say $900 USD?

Top Bottom