• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 PRO: Do I need FS version?

Hi guys! I'm about to get my Dutch 8C and a RME ADI-2 Pro as its preamp. However, I find out that is has a more advanced and expensive FS version. Is this necessary upgrade for music listening? Or it's more intended for music professional works?
I'm also planning to use it as DAC/AMP for my DCA Aeon Noire. How is it compared to, say, Topping D90/A90 combo?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The FS is the current model, so unless you were already planning to buy used I don't think there would be any savings.

The FS has better jitter performance, but that's not really anything audible so it could be a good deal if if you see a non-FS significantly cheaper.

I have the RME ADI-2 DAC which has the same headphone amp as the Pro and it works great with my DCA Aeon 2

OP
C
The FS is the current model, so unless you were already planning to buy used I don't think there would be any savings.

The FS has better jitter performance, but that's not really anything audible so it could be a good deal if if you see a non-FS significantly cheaper.

I have the RME ADI-2 DAC which has the same headphone amp as the Pro and it works great with my DCA Aeon 2
The used ADI-2 Pro is like 800 USD less than the FS version so I may go for that if FS jitter doesn't deliver audible change.
Did they change DAC chip in the FS version?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The used ADI-2 Pro is like 800 USD less than the FS version so I may go for that if FS jitter doesn't deliver audible change.
Did they change DAC chip in the FS version?

The non-FS seems like a pretty good deal then. I don't think that the DAC chip was changed.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company

ferdybossy

Never thought there would be so much difference. If you have not heard better, you are already satisfied with the Bluesound Node2i, but if you have heard the RME ADI-2 FS DAC with the sBooster (linear power supply) with Apple Lossless audio, you will never want to listen through the Bluesound Node2i again. The difference is indescribable so great.The Dutch & Dutch 8c also has a DAC itself, but according to the manual preferably use the analog XLR input. The PRO version doesn't sound better, has more features used by the professional. The Sbooster is a must, the difference in display quality is huge.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never thought there would be so much difference. If you have not heard better, you are already satisfied with the Bluesound Node2i, but if you have heard the RME ADI-2 FS DAC with the sBooster (linear power supply) with Apple Lossless audio, you will never want to listen through the Bluesound Node2i again. The difference is indescribable so great.The Dutch & Dutch 8c also has a DAC itself, but according to the manual preferably use the analog XLR input. The PRO version doesn't sound better, has more features used by the professional. The Sbooster is a must, the difference in display quality is huge.
I don't think the analog input is preferable on the 8Cs.

ferdybossy

I don't think the analog input is preferable on the 8Cs.
Check the site https://dutchdutch.com/8c/

ferdybossy

I suggest you check the website. You're spreading misinformation on more than one point...
Audio input The 8c can be connected to either digital (AES3) or (preferably balanced) analog sources. A female XLR connector labelled 'in' (8) is used to present these signals to the 8c. Make sure the correct preset is selected (see “Settings”).

ferdybossy

I suggest you check the website. You're spreading misinformation on more than one point...
When the digital input is used, there is no point in purchasing the RME ADI-2 FS DAC. I know the dynamics through AES3 is greater.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio input The 8c can be connected to either digital (AES3) or (preferably balanced) analog sources. A female XLR connector labelled 'in' (8) is used to present these signals to the 8c. Make sure the correct preset is selected (see “Settings”).
That doesnt mean what you think it means. If using analog sources, they would prefer balanced. Not that analog is preferable to digital input

ferdybossy

Don't understand why the DAC was purchased. If I had the Dutch & Dutch 8c, I wouldn't buy an external DAC. It's the High-end monitor that has everything in it

reasons

@MC_RME

Can you shed some light on this new product ADI Pro 2/4? This is 100% what I’ve been looking for as an all in one. I live in the US, hoping for a launch soon.

meshplate

Hi guys! I'm about to get my Dutch 8C and a RME ADI-2 Pro as its preamp. However, I find out that is has a more advanced and expensive FS version. Is this necessary upgrade for music listening? Or it's more intended for music professional works?
I'm also planning to use it as DAC/AMP for my DCA Aeon Noire. How is it compared to, say, Topping D90/A90 combo?
Unless I am mistaken, a DAC is unnecessary with the Dutch & Dutch speakers. That is one of their advantages in that they contain their own DACs. You just connect your streamer or computer to them.

DonDish

I dont know the speaker Dutch 8C, but ADI-2 pro will give you sound controls, super hq analog inputs and all that gadgetry that comes with it. ADI-2 models also has some digital signal refreshing so you will deliver top signal to your monitors.

Generally better to have to have HW instead of SW solutions to PEQ and such imho. My laptop gets so noisy under load.

I think you will do more than fine with buying the used non fs ADI-2 pro. It will benefit your HP´s, monitors and overall setup. It will give you a multitude of future upgrade paths. A good choice!

Top Bottom