• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
65 years young. Latest hearing test "normal", not quite as horny as I was at 49.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm hitting 40 in three weeks. I'm starting to feel the midlife crisis comming. Haven't done anything desperate yet though.

When I'm hit by the realization of inevitable death, I just remind myself that nature doesn't really care. At some point the sun will run out of light elements, will swell and swallow our planet completely, leaving no trace of human existence. Devastating for us (assuming we haven't wiped ourselves out long before that happens), but not even a blip on the radar for the universe.

I just try to do the best I can with what I have, and avoid being a d##k towards my fellow planet dwellers.

Pauper

I'm hitting 40 in three weeks. I'm starting to feel the midlife crisis comming. Haven't done anything desperate yet though.

When I'm hit by the realization of inevitable death, I just remind myself that nature doesn't really care. At some point the sun will run out of light elements, will swell and swallow our planet completely, leaving no trace of human existence. Devastating for us (assuming we haven't wiped ourselves out long before that happens), but not even a blip on the radar for the universe.

I just try to do the best I can with what I have, and avoid being a d##k towards my fellow planet dwellers.
I suppose I had a mid life crisis as I bought a 650cc Yamaha when I was fifty. . I sold it when I could no longer straddle it.

egellings

Major Contributor
It's the transition that is worrisome. Once you're dead, it won't bother you because you won't know you're dead.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Worry about death at 50 seems very premature. I did never think of death and expected to become 90+. My dad is 87 and fit as a healthy man at 50, wanders in the mountains for hours and days. And he and my mother at 85 just bought two new electric Mercedes’ cars. They just left Norway for a long stay in Frace . My father says it would be nice to become 95 and that is enough. I hope to have them both that long.
I said I never thought about death , but I was forced to after having a an unexpected heart attack at 59 two years ago and an emergency PCI ( unblocking clogged heart artery). I realised then I am not going to live forever , and maybe not as long as my parents.

After two rounds of PCI an 7 stents in my heart and untreatable high cholesterol I avoid thinking about death, but try to enjoy every day and make small weekly highlights with nice breakfast in the weekends and wine and sex whenever it suits us me and my wife .
I also do things now rather then wait, like buying new speakers and an amplifier I love. But the must important is the family.
My goal is to pay down our debt the next 5 years before I retire an make the my wife and family financially secure.

I rarely think about death , but I do get a bit worried if I get chest pains . Luckily that is not too often.

Don’t worry , be happy, but check your heart if you are in a family with heart sickness. My mother had a triple bypass at 64 ( now she is 85) and her brother died of heart attack at 62.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
65 years young. Latest hearing test "normal", not quite as horny as I was at 49.
I, too, am 65 years young.
My father, a 17, became a WWII vet of the USA & then in the occupational forces in Salzburg, Austria, where he met my mother. He passed away at 86 & was always a serious mix of knowledge & fun. My mother survived WWII from the time she was 4 to the time she was 11. She stopped doing open ocean kayaking (by herself & with groups) at 84 because of deteriorating disks in her back. At 88 now, she doesn't scare me when she drives (even when the road is empty & she decides that 85-90 MPH is a good speed to settle into). She is still very active in many things & I don't expect her to slow down or stop any time soon. Barring accidents or major medical events, I expect I'll be like her, fun 'till I stop. I finally got married at the age of 48. She was 41. We have now been together going on 18 years (I expected it to last between 5 & 7 years, given that I was single all those years). But we are compatible, so it works out. We each feel lucky to have each other.
Again, barring accidents or major medical events, I expect to be in my 90's, LIVING life until it stops for me. But I will be enjoying it until then.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suppose I had a mid life crisis as I bought a 650cc Yamaha when I was fifty. . I sold it when I could no longer straddle it.
I bought my Corvette at 45. LOL, still running strong (corvette and me). Do I think about death and dying? I do but control those thoughts and try to shake them off as fast as I can. For some reason, my mind is programmed to first think negative vs positive. It takes some mental effort to switch between those "modes".

Last edited:

Kijanki

Of course I think about it at 69, especially while moving now to Florida - "Land Of Nearly Departed". I feell I need to accelerate my slow retired life. Perhaps crazy expensive speakers or really fast car (Porsche Cayenne?) would do? Desperation? Perhaps, but being active helps - traveling, piano lessons, electronic projects, photography (Do not go gently into....). Don't get me wrong about Florida - it is nice sunny state and people here are super nice. My mother had lived in Sarasota for about 15 years and loved it (coming from cold Poland). I'm settling in Jacksonville area - a big change after nearly 40 years in Chicago.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think of being dead the same as the time lost under anesthesia….not even nothingness.:)
I have exactly the same experience Every time i went for a precautiouss checkup in the hospital. It put religion (specific the after life) in a totaly different perspective of nothingness which give me peace of mind. .
:facepalm:

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning

bkdc

Forum Donor
Not worried for myself but for the impact on my family. Passing on is guaranteed. I'd like to go quickly so I'm never a burden to my spouse or kids. And as long a they're taken care of, all is good. Except they wouldn't know what to do with my audio and camera gear.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'm 55. Yeah, I think about my mortality. But as I get older I find it's less and less a thing that keeps me up at night. When I was younger...a kid really...I remember being terribly concerned about things like nuclear war and cancer. I worried about it a lot. As time goes by though you get better at putting that stuff in a compartment and not letting it have any real impact on your daily operation. We all have a limited amount of time to enjoy consciousness - no sense wasting any of it worrying about unconsciousness. I tell myself "hey you're feeling good today! Go out and enjoy it while it lasts..."

F

freemansteve

Everyone thinks of death, and there are a number of people I'd like to apply it to.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm 68 and just started flying lessons.

Hmmm.

That was March 6 last year.

I must have rounded up, because I'm still 68. But I got my license, and even bought a plane while still a student.

I'll probably go out and glide around for a few hours tomorrow afternoon.

1648138839962.png

I'll try to check back in next year.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

egellings

Major Contributor
Yup! I think we should spell "stupid" as "thoopid" Doesn't my version actually look more like what it means than the original one?

Top Bottom