• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NC502MP NCore Amplifier 500Wx4 compatability with AVR

OP
G

Grierts

That seems correct for the NC500 and 1ET400A. They've low-gain modules. A consumer amp released using them would normally have an op-amp buffer stage adding extra gain, so you don't have to actually get that from your pre-amp. The just-reviewed Audiophonics HPA-S400ET is an example.

That looks like a peak-to-peak voltage for the Pascal, so is it more like 2.5V RMS? Could be wrong though.
Damm never even knew about low gain .

So one last question: (I feel like a nuisance, since I'm so ignorant to this hi-fi world)

Taking into account my max 2V AVR preout.

The Pascal model does 4x800

Hypex NC502MP NCore Amplifier 500Wx4

If its true the Pascal requires 2.5V.
I'll get more wattage per channel.from the Pascal.

So I should go with that model, correct ?

Or is there a better alternative under $1300???

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really don't think that maximum possible output should be the determining factor. You still haven't said what speakers you have, or are planning to have. All of theses amps would be more than enough for most speakers.

And if your amp performs like the Onkyo Amir tested, which is likely, you can probably get up to 3.5V.

Elsewhere in the Pascal datasheet it confirms the gain as 27.6dB, so you would get 2dB more out than the NCores. For comparison purposes, let's stick to 2V. 2V into the Pascal would give you 290W into 8 ohms or 580W into 4 ohms. So, yes, a bit more than the NC502MP - the 2dB extra gain, with you not hitting the power limit on either amp at 2V.

I am totally unfamiliar with the Pascal, and don't recall seeing it mentioned here. Most people like the NCores. And most would say the NC252MP is enough and wouldn't go for the NC502MP anyway.

OP
G

Grierts

I really don't think that maximum possible output should be the determining factor. You still haven't said what speakers you have, or are planning to have. All of theses amps would be more than enough for most speakers.

And if your amp performs like the Onkyo Amir tested, which is likely, you can probably get up to 3.5V.

Elsewhere in the Pascal datasheet it confirms the gain as 27.6dB, so you would get 2dB more out than the NCores. For comparison purposes, let's stick to 2V. 2V into the Pascal would give you 290W into 8 ohms or 580W into 4 ohms. So, yes, a bit more than the NC502MP - the 2dB extra gain, with you not hitting the power limit on either amp at 2V.

I am totally unfamiliar with the Pascal, and don't recall seeing it mentioned here. Most people like the NCores. And most would say the NC252MP is enough and wouldn't go for the NC502MP anyway.

L/R Speakers : Emotiva b1+
Sensitivity =85db

Center : Emotiva C2+
Sensitivity is like 92db

Surrounds: Neumi b5
Sensitivity is 85db

So yeah, I understand I dont need a lot of power.

Ima just get The Pascal model 4x800

And be done with this .

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I contacted Onkyo/Integra support to ask what the V out on the Pre-Outs is.

The answer I received was a (non specific) - 2V...

If 2V is peak V - then that amounts to 1.4V RMS - or the standard pro (high) level output for power amps

If 2V is RMS - then peak out would be somewhere over 3V.... which just so happens to be the V that AmirM measured as max before clipping on the outputs.

There are very few power amps that this family of AVR's won't drive properly (!!)

My own Integra 3.4 is driving a pair of Crown XLS2500's very effectively - they can be a problem for many pre's as they take the pro/high level outputs to drive them to maximum - spec is 1.4V rms for max output.

So unless your power amp requires a lot more than 3V to achieve its max output - you are good to go.

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If 2V is RMS - then peak out would be somewhere over 3V.... which just so happens to be the V that AmirM measured as max before clipping on the outputs.
Amir actually measured 3.5 Vrms, so nearly 5 Vp-p.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Amir actually measured 3.5 Vrms, so nearly 5 Vp-p.
So much like those old specifications for Aston Martin sports cars : "Power is MORE than adequate under ANY circumstance"

Top Bottom