• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recomendation for desktop DAC/Amp [IEM and full-sized Headphones]

OP
xineis

xineis

It will stretch your budget but what about a RME ADI-2 DAC?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-rme-adi-2-pro-comparison-to-adi-2-dac.2682/

Separate connections for headphone and IEM
Parametric EQ
Crossfeed
Everything you need for both a pre-amp and headphone amp
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

This is probably my dream device. Double my budget, though...
Maybe in a few years!

EDIT-----------------------------------

If anyone has a used RME ADI-2 and wants to sell, this is your chance!

Last edited:

teej

I’m also in that market. Something all-in-one to run powered monitors and a pair of HD-6XX’s. I’ve been eyeing Schiit Jotunheim with the DAC card and the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus (has Amir measured this one yet?). Had a lot of success with Schiit...

OP
xineis

xineis

I’m also in that market. Something all-in-one to run powered monitors and a pair of HD-6XX’s. I’ve been eyeing Schiit Jotunheim with the DAC card and the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus (has Amir measured this one yet?). Had a lot of success with Schiit...

I am steering away from Schiit as much as I can!

Thanks, derp1n! However, due to my budget limitation at the moment, I won't be the happy owner of this ADI-2.

I have, however, bought a (used) Audeze Deckard which is on the way to Amir as we speak. I hope it measures well. If not, I will continue looking for a suitable DAC/Amp.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
’ve been eyeing Schiit Jotunheim with the DAC card and the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus (has Amir measured this one yet?).
The DACMagic Plus was supposed to come my way but the owner found it to have a lot of channel mismatch so returned it. So right now it is not on the roadmap for testing.

teej

Yeah, I see a lot of that around here. :rolleyes: I like my Modi, though. Also have a Korg DS-DAC-100 and a Focusrite Scarlet, but the Modi is my daily driver.

teej

Yeah, I see a lot of that around here. :rolleyes: I like my Modi, though. Also have a Korg DS-DAC-100 and a Focusrite Scarlet, but the Modi is my daily driver.

teej

The DACMagic Plus was supposed to come my way but the owner found it to have a lot of channel mismatch so returned it. So right now it is not on the roadmap for testing.
Dang. That one is high on my watch list. If I buy one I'll send it to you first...

OP
xineis

xineis

If I remember correctly, the Modi 3 and Magni 3 were OK in Amir's reviews. Previous iterations and others like the Jotunheim, not so much...

Even then, the Topping Stack performed somewhat better.

----------
Edited information about the Schiit stack.

Last edited:

teej

If I remember correctly, the Modi 3 and Magni 3 were OK in Amir's reviews. Previous iterations and others like the Jotunheim, not so much...

Even then, the Topping Stack performed somewhat better.

----------
Edited information about the Schiit stack.
This is a bummer, man. I was considering a Bifrost + Asgard stack as well. The Jotunheim just appeared to fill all my desktop needs in one package.

OP
xineis

xineis

This is a bummer, man. I was considering a Bifrost + Asgard stack as well. The Jotunheim just appeared to fill all my desktop needs in one package.

It really is! I suggest to read the Jotunheim review (as well as the others). The criticism is not unfounded. I really wanted to like the Jot, and was actually thinking of buying one before coming to ASR. After coming to my senses, I now want to have a guarantee of decent performance per dollar.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey. I'm not much of a head phone guy but a long while back I had one of there small dacs that was like 125 and to my ear sounded pretty good. I'm guess this maybe a big step up. Stoneracoustics.com/udxa

onslash

I have one modified with a linear psu, but i think it would be too expensive to ship there, since i live literally on the otherside of the planet (Singapore).
I think the DAC is self is pretty good but the amp section is just meh not enough power to drive planars. I was thinking of getting the new jds lab atom after seeing your reviews (or maybe the new el amp replacement), if 1 W is more than i need would you recommend the atom or massdrop tTHX amp ?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have one modified with a linear psu, but i think it would be too expensive to ship there, since i live literally on the otherside of the planet (Singapore).
I think the DAC is self is pretty good but the amp section is just meh not enough power to drive planars. I was thinking of getting the new jds lab atom after seeing your reviews (or maybe the new el amp replacement), if 1 W is more than i need would you recommend the atom or massdrop tTHX amp ?
I recommend Massdrop THX if you have a balanced DAC to feed it. If you only have RCA outputs, then atom would be the choice.

onslash

I recommend Massdrop THX if you have a balanced DAC to feed it. If you only have RCA outputs, then atom would be the choice.
i have the cambridge dac magic plus which has balanced output. But considering the price is using balanced dac with massdrop thx really worth getting over atom with the dac magic plus with rca ? I'm new to the forum but i love your reviews, just waiting for the monolith desktop review to come out:)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i have the cambridge dac magic plus which has balanced output. But considering the price is using balanced dac with massdrop thx really worth getting over atom with the dac magic plus with rca ?
It all depends on whether you are unlucky and run into a ground loop one day. Otherwise, there is no fidelity difference.

Tatteredmidnight

It all depends on whether you are unlucky and run into a ground loop one day. Otherwise, there is no fidelity difference.

I have a "BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400" Humm destroyer, which is a 1:1 isolating transformer that also provides a SE to balanced conversion. Its no longer in use, but for $25, it did eliminate ground loops and remove unwanted noise. So even if you run into those issues, all is not lost.

If @amirm is interested in classifying or measuring the impact of a device like this, or an active DI box (Rolls MB15b Promatch), I'd be happy to supply them.

Top Bottom