• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both units are now ESS DACs. Older AVM70 are AKM. They had released (and removed) a spec sheet for the AVM90 in early Feb that listed the ESS DAC. I was also able to identify a different ESS DAC for the newer AVM70s via photo of the guts.

I wish manufacturers are more transparent about this sort of things. So which ESS chip can we expect in the latest AVM70? Typically they wouldn't even go pass the 9026Pro that is about as good as the AK4490. It would be nice if they use at least the ES9028pro, or even the 9018.

tparm

Forum Donor
Keep your eyes on Audioholics for full measurements of the MRX 740 & 1140, I think they will be available Saturday.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
9038Q2M according to Anthem support when I asked.

Thank you for sharing the info. So as expected, regardless how they bs about the importance of using better DAC chips that would supposedly sound audibly better, to save a few $, they use ESS's mobile series instead of the pro series. I guess the implementation costs for the mobile series chip would be lower too, and if true then they do have more justification. Got to give the likes of Topping, S.M.S.L. credit for putting the pro series in even on their lower models.

Still, by using the 9038Q2M, the AVM90 could probably claim having the best DAC chip (by SINAD) in AV preamp/processors.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep your eyes on Audioholics for full measurements of the MRX 740 & 1140, I think they will be available Saturday.

He posted the link to read the results but it didn't work for me. So as you alluded to, may be it is on a timer lol..

It is working now!!

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on a reply in their Instagram post this morning looks like the 9038PRO.

Sounds great, then they can claim the crown, finally!!

And they finally manage to get the highest pre out SINAD among all AVRs tested, based on Audioholics. May be Anthem's engineering team now has more clout than their marketing and finance colleagues.

bkdc

Forum Donor
This is stunning performance for a bona-fide multi-channel home theater preamp processor. "Grading on a curve" is right. You cannot compare the relative simplicity of a 2-channel unit to something that processes and outputs into 15 channels. Good job, Anthem. I hope the AVM90 measures better. Would like to know at what sampling rate ARC Genesis runs.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds great, then they can claim the crown, finally!!

And they finally manage to get the highest pre out SINAD among all AVRs tested, based on Audioholics. May be Anthem's engineering team now has more clout than their marketing and finance colleagues.
Am I misreading it, or does the 1140 have better measuring preouts than the AVM70?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Would like to know at what sampling rate ARC Genesis runs.

Audioholics: If using ARC, am I correct in understanding that if I theoretically feed it a 192kHz source, then the MRX units will downsample to 48kHz and the pre-pros will down sample to 96kHz? In other words, none of the models will be able to apply ARC at the native 192kHz?

Nick Platsis: This is correct, and for the longest time AVM/D was the only unit on the market that could operate room eq at higher than 48 kHz.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I misreading it, or does the 1140 have better measuring preouts than the AVM70?

Seems to be about 102 to 103 dB dB at 2 V for the 740 vs the AVM70. Two different test bench, AP models and operators, I'd say that's within the margin of error. Still, if it isn't the lack of analog bypass, it would be a great alternative to the AVM70 for me because I don't need more than 7.1.4.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think you, or I, misread it if you meant the 740. In terms of pre out SINAD, it certainly measured better than the AVM70. Gene did not show the measurements for the 1140.

Again, different operators on two different tests so the actual gap may be bigger or smaller, more likely smaller.

It is worth noting that instead of picking the best SINAD number on the curve, if we look at the range that would apply to most users under most listening conditions (say between 0.3 and 2 V), nothing beat your ex AVR (X8500H) so far, it has been a few years now and yet no AVPs measured anywhere managed better pre out SINAD than the Denon, that's really amazing.

I included its curve at the end, you can see that the Denon never dipped below 100 dB from over 2 V down to 0.6 V. The AVM hit just a touch over 90 dB at 0.6 V. The Denon managed about 94 dB at as low as 0.3 V. For those who believe quality at below 1 W, the Denon is probably the one, still..

index.php

index.php

tctlrld

Based on a reply in their Instagram post this morning looks like the 9038PRO.

Just repeating what Anthem support told me two weeks ago when I asked what DACs were in the AVM70 and MRX 1140 after the shift from AKM.

If I was given incorrect information that is on them.

Hi Matt,

9038Q2M and 9010K2M respectively.

Jamie Z.
Technical Advisor
Paradigm / Anthem AV

Edit: I see the Instagram post in reference to the AVM90. I was responding to pengs post (#261) asking out loud what DAC they're using in the AVM70 now. Again, it is the 9038Q2M.

Lack of context is all.

BdoUK

Good call, thought you meant the AVM90. Good to be getting clarity in both AVM70 and AVM90 DACs.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I don't think you, or I, misread it if you meant the 740. In terms of pre out SINAD, it certainly measured better than the AVM70. Gene did not show the measurements for the 1140.

Again, different operators on two different tests so the actual gap may be bigger or smaller, more likely smaller.

It is worth noting that instead of picking the best SINAD number on the curve, if we look at the range that would apply to most users under most listening conditions (say between 0.3 and 2 V), nothing beat your ex AVR (X8500H) so far, it has been a few years now and yet no AVPs measured anywhere managed better pre out SINAD than the Denon, that's really amazing.

I included its curve at the end, you can see that the Denon never dipped below 100 dB from over 2 V down to 0.6 V. The AVM hit just a touch over 90 dB at 0.6 V. The Denon managed about 94 dB at as low as 0.3 V. For those who believe quality at below 1 W, the Denon is probably the one, still..

index.php

index.php
Do it seems Denon measurements are better than Anthem do they sound better?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Any news on the upgrades on the AVM70? Will they add HDMI 2.1 only or will there be something else like better DAC´s?

Top Bottom