• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR-style Setup at Audio Show

FishInLA

For a number of years at T.H.E. Show there was a room run by "civilians" - a hotel suite taken out by a couple of guys from the Midwest somewhere, doctors, I think, who just wanted to have a good time. No manufacturer was involved, no one was trying to market anything in particular - they just came out with their own gear and their own record collections, and enjoyed people coming by their room during the show to listen to stuff, chat about music, and have some snacks & drinks.

I have occasionally wondered if it would be fun (and worth the expense) for a group of the more objectivist-minded folks to band together to mount such a room at T.H.E. Show or AXPONA etc. I'm imagining a 2-channel setup but using the principles that the collective wisdom here has arrived at - multiple subs with MSO running on a mini-DSP, bass management, digital room correction, a bog-standard AVR powering the system, some acoustic treatments, a pair of relatively inexpensive but known-to-be-good speakers (Revel F208 comes to mind, but there are many options here). Hide the gear, run the demos, and hand out little cards at the end with a description of the system and its total MSRP. We could have a really good time, not to mention a good shot at having the best-sounding room at the show.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It might be like herding cats to get enough people here to agree on the gear to be used.
:facepalm:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a show in the UK which ran every year which was comprised only of people demonstrating their own systems, usually between 40 and 50 different rooms.

One year there was a room where the idea was to have a system that was as cheap as possible. It comprised a Pioneer CD player, Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier and some RAM 2 speakers. There were post-it notes attached to each item stating how much it had cost on eBay. The total was less than £100

It was one of the best sounding systems despite some very highly priced competition. I sat in the 'audience' for a while and heard some amusing comments. One bloke was sat with his head in his hands saying 'This is better than what I have at home.' Another was being railed by his wife 'This sounds just as good as what we have and it was only a hundred pounds. How much have you spent?'

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've exhibited at that show a few times myself. It was run by the Hifi Wigwam forum, at the Scalford hotel in central England. A great show and good fun. It's being run again this year in October, at a new venue.

There was the 'suitcase system' which had to fit inside an ordinary suitcase, which had to be carried into the venue by the owner. And memorably one year, a 5 way horn system where the owner was seen sawing his main bass horns in half, as they wouldn't go through the door...

The best of English eccentricity. Oh and each year the challenge was to drink the bar dry.

S

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How much have you spent?'
Never, ever let the significant other know the cost of sound gear, guns or photo equipment!

In my will, I have designated friends to liquidate the above - my fear is that the wife would sell things for what she thinks I paid:facepalm:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've exhibited at that show a few times myself. It was run by the Hifi Wigwam forum, at the Scalford hotel in central England. A great show and good fun. It's being run again this year in October, at a new venue.

There was the 'suitcase system' which had to fit inside an ordinary suitcase, which had to be carried into the venue by the owner. And memorably one year, a 5 way horn system where the owner was seen sawing his main bass horns in half, as they wouldn't go through the door...

The best of English eccentricity. Oh and each year the challenge was to drink the bar dry.

S
Not to mention the approach road to the hotel had warning signs along it advising that a sinkhole might open up and swallow your car...

Their new venue is just a ten minute walk from my house, which is handy.

I think you actually did show what could be described as an 'ASR style set-up'.

It's a good idea, although you'll still never convince the die-hards.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never, ever let the significant other know the cost of sound gear, guns or photo equipment!

In my will, I have designated friends to liquidate the above - my fear is that the wife would sell things for what she thinks I paid:facepalm:
lol

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting idea that deserves to be explored further in term of logistics and perhaps, funding.

Peace

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning

S
If I remember correctly I think one year they actually succeeded!

And the Scalford Hotel was such a maze of rooms newcomers were often found wandering around days after the show had ended. :)

I actually miss that show and the old place - it had what could be called character, I guess.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I remember correctly I think one year they actually succeeded!

And the Scalford Hotel was such a maze of rooms newcomers were often found wandering around days after the show had ended. :)

I actually miss that show and the old place - it had what could be called character, I guess.
It was a maze. I saw some people come out of an unmarked door and wondered what might be in there. Turned out it led to a spiral staircase and a whole other floor of rooms. I'd walked past the same door previously thinking it was just a service cupboard.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Pete Millett and I did that at the late, lamented Lone Star Audio Fest some years back. Much beer, music, homemade stuff of ours. We had a fun room.

Likely prohibitive at relentlessly sales-oriented shows like AXPONA or CES.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention the approach road to the hotel had warning signs along it advising that a sinkhole might open up and swallow your car...

Their new venue is just a ten minute walk from my house, which is handy.

I think you actually did show what could be described as an 'ASR style set-up'.

It's a good idea, although you'll still never convince the die-hards.
And just down the road (or a short train hop) from me (So you're a Stokie?)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Found a pic of the £100 system:

IMAG0078.jpg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I'm a Scouser. I just live in Stoke (for the last 30-odd years).
Not willing to go native then :p

I'd have been interested in going to that show. Sadly this year I'll be in USA for a wedding. Perhaps 2023.

sq225917

Major Contributor
The Scalford show was great, no one selling anything, just guys sharing their various pride and joys. I showed a couple of times with various set ups.

Top Bottom