• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 70 23.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 139 46.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 25.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 4.7%

• Total voters

nikosidis

Limits of audibility any link for test ?
Test?
No music use anything near that dynamic range.
It is like you see some ad. that say this TV have 1000000:1 contrast ratio.
You think you will see that?

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really it'd be great if @amirm retested the DCA Stealth to see if 'break-in' of a physical driver is measurable!
I can't find anything that says 112 db, this says 118 from a test in '81.

If you'd like to 'test' your ability to hear a 78 db dynamic range or less:

pma

Major Contributor
Do your own search on psychological acoustics scientific research papers. The limits are well known and far from crazy numbers.

aj625

Do your own search on psychological acoustics scientific research papers. The limits are well known and far from crazy numbers.
Which limits are well known ? If these are well known then there must be some reference.

aj625

Really it'd be great if @amirm retested the DCA Stealth to see if 'break-in' of a physical driver is measurable!

I can't find anything that says 112 db, this says 118 from a test in '81.

If you'd like to 'test' your ability to hear a 78 db dynamic range or less:

So do you mean 78db sinad is sufficient ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Which limits are well known ? If these are well known then there must be some reference.

This thread has a good bit of information.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...text=Recap of thresholds,impedance: 0.16 ohms

"Recap of thresholds
Lenient
Dynamic range, linearity: 96 dB
THD, IMD: -66 dBFS / 0.05%
Noise: -85 dBFS / 0.005%
SINAD: 85 dB
Crosstalk: -60 dBFS
Jitter: -110 dBFS, -100 dBFS around the main tone
Frequency response: ±0.5 dB
Channel balance: 1 dB
Output impedance: 2 ohms

Strict
Dynamic range, linearity, SINAD: 120 dB
THD, IMD, noise, crosstalk, jitter: -120 dBFS / 0.0001%
Frequency response, channel balance: ±0.1 dB
Output impedance: 0.16 ohms"

This one can give a little perspective on how small these noise/distortion signals are.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
So do you mean 78db sinad is sufficient ?
78 db was beyond elite hi fi before digital.

At my desktop beyond 66 db is not audible through the computer speakers.

I was just suggesting you test your ability to hear a signal 78 db and imagine how hard it would be to hear 112 db. Did you listen?

aj625

78 db was beyond elite hi fi before digital.

At my desktop beyond 66 db is not audible through the computer speakers.

I was just suggesting you test your ability to hear a signal 78 db and imagine how hard it would be to hear 112 db. Did you listen?
You might be confusing the "no signal sinad" of a dac with dynamic range of music which humans can differentiate. Isn't it. You want to say If humans can differentiate say 60db range only then there is no need of dac's having sinad of 123db, isn't it ? Actually random noise bringing sinad down may not be that big a problem than distortions . This is the reason why two dacs having same sinad of say 115db can still sound different, even if humans have limited ability of dynamic range.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
You might be confusing the "no signal sinad" of a dac with dynamic range of music which humans can differentiate. Isn't it. You want to say If humans can differentiate say 60db range only then there is no need of dac's having sinad of 123db, isn't it ? Actually random noise bringing sinad down may not be that big a problem than distortions . This is the reason why two dacs having same sinad of say 115db can still sound different, even if humans have limited ability of dynamic range.
If two dacs can sound different with a sinad of 115 db, it doesn't tell us as much as you think it does.

SuicideSquid

If two dacs can sound different with a sinad of 115 db, it doesn't tell us as much as you think it does.
It tells you how much noise and distortion the DAC is producing.

That is only one aspect of how a DAC sounds. I don't think anyone here claims that SINAD is the only thing that matters. That's why Amir measures a bunch of other things as well.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Not every manufacturer has joined the “look at our impressive meaningless spec’s competition”. As restorer John alludedmto, there is more to a statement product than distortion and noise numbers. I don’t think it is correct to call a product like this poorly engineered.

1. It has not been demonstrated that pushing SINAD further and further below audible thresholds correlates with perceived better sound quality.
2. The audiophiles that this product is aimed at are not buying things based on what product has the best test results.
3. People that are fixated on test results aren’t buying $7500 disk players.

Given these factors, time spent by Marantz to chase ultra low distortion and S/N is a waste of resources. Products are engineered to sell them. Setting goals that don’t demonstrably improve sound and that your customers don’t care about is kind of dumb as is insisting that such products are incompetently engineered by those with different priorities. I am happy with my seldom used Yamaha BDA 1070 but if someone gave me one of these I would keep it.

SuicideSquid

Not every manufacturer has joined the “look at our impressive meaningless spec’s competition”. As restorer John alludedmto, there is more to a statement product than distortion and noise numbers. I don’t think it is correct to call a product like this poorly engineered.

1. It has not been demonstrated that pushing SINAD further and further below audible thresholds correlates with perceived better sound quality.
2. The audiophiles that this product is aimed at are not buying things based on what product has the best test results.

Given these factors, time spent by Marantz to chase ultra low distortion and S/N is a waste of resources. Products are engineered to sell them. Setting goals that don’t demonstrably improve sound and that your customers don’t care about is kind of dumb as is insisting that such products are incompetently engineered by those with different priorities. I am happy with my seldom used Yamaha BDA 1070 but if someone gave me one of these I would keep it.

Marantz marketed this player as providing better sound quality than less-expensive players. It does not. I agree that you're almost certainly not going to hear a difference in noise level or distortion between a player like this with a SINAD below -100dB and a DAC with a -120dB SINAD.

The issue with high-end audiophile equipment is that the manufacturers claim it *performs better*. In the overwhelming majority of cases, including in this case, does not. That is deceptive and dishonest. If Marantz wants to market this player as "it sounds the same as most other well-made players but it's built like a tank", I'd have more respect for them, at least they're being honest.

rwortman

Forum Donor
It’s a case with high end consumer goods of many kinds. The bottom line is that most audio enthusiasts think that expensive and built like a tank sounds better. People on this site probably aren’t going to move that needle. There’s a discussion on another forum about the Schiit Freya+ making Stereophile’s A list and how it can’t possibly sound as good as some other company’s A listed $50,000 statement preamp. The fact that it can and probably does is something well heeled audio snobs will never accept. It’s also true that performs better and has better spec’s in most people’s minds is not the same thing.

SuicideSquid

It’s a case with high end consumer goods of many kinds. The bottom line is that most audio enthusiasts think that expensive and built like a tank sounds better. People on this site probably aren’t going to move that needle. There’s a discussion on another forum about the Schiit Freya+ making Stereophile’s A list and how it can’t possibly sound as good as some other company’s A listed $50,000 statement preamp. The fact that it can and probably does is something well heeled audio snobs will never accept. It’s also true that performs better and has better spec’s in most people’s minds is not the same thing.
"Lots of people do it" has never been a justification for immoral behavior.

The entire purpose of these reviews and discussions is to point out that this behavior is scammy and dishonest.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
People on this site probably aren’t going to move that needle.

Our growth rate implies otherwise.

The key is to get them before the sunk costs become too hard to move beyond.

rwortman

Forum Donor
"Lots of people do it" has never been a justification for immoral behavior.

The entire purpose of these reviews and discussions is to point out that this behavior is scammy and dishonest.
I’m not sure I agree that selling people what they want is immoral. This is from the Marantz manual. Standard audiophile stuff. Your idea of value is different. OK.

Attachments

• httpswww.marantz.com-mediafilesdocumentmastermarantznaussa-10u_eng_ug_v01.pdf.png
    httpswww.marantz.com-mediafilesdocumentmastermarantznaussa-10u_eng_ug_v01.pdf.png
    877.5 KB · Views: 83

aj625

Exactly, that's what I say. Dac with same sinad can't sound same because sinad is dependent on many factors. So claims like all dacs sound san

Exactly. Then there should all the more be a justification of buying cheaper higher sinad dac than lesser sinad expensive boutique dac, if at all there is a limit of audibility of sinad. Isn't it ? Why one should spend many $ks on a dac, only for looks, show off, weight , brand value ? :p

Top Bottom