• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended DAC for AVR+nCore Amp with Subwoofer support?

Obiwan007

Hi,
I'm currently using a Denon AVR X4400 - but trying to improve a bit on the stereo part.
I looking into a boXem nCore stereo amp - but these only have one XLR input (which could be used hopefully also with the pre-out of the AVR.

I like to use the AVR mainly for home cinema. Currently the subwoofer is connected there.
Using a DAC and putting this to an input to the AVR would probably do not make much sense. So I thought the DAC could be connected directly to the boXem amp input and the AVR then to an analog inout (or maybe optical?) to the DAC.
But then I like that the DAC input is more or less transparent and not controlling volume anymore (HT input, AV input mode).
Is that existing?
If not I would need to go for an integrated amp. Supporting the subwoofer is additionally difficult if this should be using in both modes (stero/cinema).
2.1 integrated amps are not very widespread (and mostly not really good). Audiolabs 8300A would be an option to think of as they are supporting pre-in passthrough and having a sub-out. Perfoming probably way not as good as the nCore modules.

Using a DAC as a preamp is a good idea - given that those exist with the AV-paththrough?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would probably just use the AVR for a DAC and run pre outs to the Boxem, but if you want pass through, you could run the pre outs from the AVR to a Schiit Freya or similar, and run an XLR DAC to the Freya, and run the Freya's outs to the Boxem. You'd need to pick a volume setting for HT mode, and the latter solution doesn't give you sub outs.

What DAC are you considering? What's your budget for this?

OP
O

Obiwan007

As I'm from Germany - Schiit is not really available here I think. Many Preamps have a pre-in/AV-in (like the Naim XS3) so the volume setting is controlled via the source (AVR).
Hm, if I look at the list here - the Toppings 90SE looks like one of the best choices here. I would like a streaming DAC more (like the Bluesound - but that got awfull measurements here). 500-1000€ would probably my limit for a DAC.
If I buy a Nail XS3 it would set me back around 2300€ - sometimes you get them used for 1700€. A Boxem will be around 800€.
Adding up fast... Not willing to spend 2000€ for a preamp - only if it gives me a DAC too.
The Marantz M40 is coming (for around 2400€) - but I guess the measurements are not up here yet. The M30 was not so good...

F

freemansteve

May not be popular on this site as a brand, but check Cambridge Audio Evo 75 and Evo 150.
It's only "mid-fi" but I am pleased with mine - very flexible.

OP
O

Obiwan007

May not be popular on this site as a brand, but check Cambridge Audio Evo 75 and Evo 150.
Not sure about Cambridge Audio. The last Amp review here was a total desaster regarding to the result... Way worse than the usual AV Receiver...
Maybe sometime the Evo gets a test here too.
I also heard a Naim and Rotel (in the 1200€ class). The Naim only gets a sub-out if you buy the middle tier model - way ore expensive.

Maybe I will go with a Hypex based amp. Not found a good pre-amp yet though...

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is “mid-fi” about it?

Top Bottom