• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powering an Aeon 2 Noire question

codeanders

I’ve been looking at the DCA Aeon 2 Noire for a while now (I need a new closed-back, love how portable it is with the folding design, the ear shape and comfort seem great, I don’t love a huge amount of punch/slam, love detail), but I have some concerns about powering them.

At my desk, it shouldn’t be a problem, I have a JDS Element II that I believe is rated up to 1.3 W.

But for on the go, I have an A&K SR25 that I'm thinking of replacing with a Fiio M11 Plus (or something similar), and I’m not sure if its 3.5mm unbalanced port will have enough power. I’ve heard that balanced cables might help with the power problem, but I’m not sure if the Noires come with a 2.5mm balanced cable or if there are compatible cables available for a reasonable price. I don't listen to music very loudly, so I don't need to crank it up, but I don't want to lose sound quality because I'm underpowering them.

Does anyone have any advice on this? On whether the SR25 or M11 Plus would be able to run the Noires on the unbalanced cable or whether I’d need to also buy a compatible 2.5mm balanced cable?

staticV3

Master Contributor
When ordering a Noire, you can choose between a 3.5mm SE cable and a 4pin XLR balanced one.
I would recommend the balanced one. After all, you can always adapt that to single-ended Amps. You cannot adapt the single-ended cable to balanced Amps.
Screenshot_20220319-012505_Chrome.jpg

OP
C

codeanders

Hmmm that makes sense, but using an full-size xlr cable and then adapter to 2.5mm before getting to the DAP when out of the house seems very clunky. Would be nice if more headphone manufacturers could use the same connectors so I could mix and match more.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm that makes sense, but using an full-size xlr cable and then adapter to 2.5mm before getting to the DAP when out of the house seems very clunky. Would be nice if more headphone manufacturers could use the same connectors so I could mix and match more.

I would imagine, if it's not listed in the dropdown, you can request a 4.4mm for next to nothing. DCA have always been easy to work with, IME

jannek

I got my Noire with the Standard unbalanced cable for home use and am using it with a D10b DAC and a SMSL SH-9. Power is absolutely sufficient.
For mobile use I added a balanced cable from https://koalaaudiocables.com/ which is pretty decent at a reasonable price. This is used with a Hidizs S9. This combination is also sufficient for the Noire, but not as much headroom left as with the desktop stack.
I think headroom is the keyword for your question... Even if not listening too loud you would lose dynamics if always running close to full volume.

OP
C

codeanders

I got my Noire with the Standard unbalanced cable for home use and am using it with a D10b DAC and a SMSL SH-9. Power is absolutely sufficient.
For mobile use I added a balanced cable from https://koalaaudiocables.com/ which is pretty decent at a reasonable price. This is used with a Hidizs S9. This combination is also sufficient for the Noire, but not as much headroom left as with the desktop stack.
I think headroom is the keyword for your question... Even if not listening too loud you would lose dynamics if always running close to full volume.
That's awesome to hear! Thanks for the link, looks like they ship to where I live too, so that's nice. Thanks for the advice :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would imagine, if it's not listed in the dropdown, you can request a 4.4mm for next to nothing. DCA have always been easy to work with, IME
And then a 4.4 to either 6.35 or xlr adapter. They can be had for $20 or so. Gives good flexibility.

PGAMiami

I just hooked the Noire I got used to a Topping G5, single ended 3.5mm. Absolutely more than enough power. They sound fabulous. I may even prefer them to my Focal Utopia. Medium gain on the G5 has all the power you may need. On some recordings that are mastered at very low levels you may use high gain, but that is less than 5% of recordings.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I just hooked the Noire I got used to a Topping G5, single ended 3.5mm.
Both jacks on the G5 carry exactly the same signal. Doesn't matter which one you plug into. The 4.4mm Pentaconn jack is internally single-ended as well.

AudioKC

Just for history, powering my Noire 2 with
  • Mobile: Apple Dongle, on 100% volume is enough loudness
  • Desktop: Modi+ and Magni Heretic
Works perfectly well.

AudioKC

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think the Apple dongle may start to clip into 13 ohms at full output.
Depends on the version. The MMX62ZM/A and MU7E2ZM/A (EU versions) will not clip even with a 10Ω load. The MMX62AM/A and MU7E2AM/A (US versions) however, can clip below 20Ω:
b_Apple_A2049__THDN_vs_Output_Voltage___b_20Hz_-_20kHz_BW-4x_foolhardy_Remacri.png Apple_A2049_max_output_before_clipping_vs_load (2).png

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the version. The MMX62ZM/A and MU7E2ZM/A (EU versions) will not clip even with a 10Ω load. The MMX62AM/A and MU7E2AM/A (US versions) however, can clip below 20Ω:
So it is true that geography is destiny.

Top Bottom