• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCF AYRA PRO5 Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 89 44.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 90 45.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be it this or that, a company this size shouldn't have an issue paying for proper measurement tools.
Especially a company specialized in pro sound, where proper measurements in anechoic chamber during development (including directivity), software prediction of results in room and then measurements in situ for each use is always part of the normal procedure.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, in short, you confirm the figure I posted (20% more, in fact)
As I said on my previous post. I messed up the figures, hence I am in no position to confirm anything.
Be it this or that, a company this size shouldn't have an issue paying for proper measurement tools.
Especially a company specialized in pro sound, where proper measurements in anechoic chamber during development (including directivity), software prediction of results in room and then measurements in situ for each use is always part of the normal procedure.
I agree 100%

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's quite clear from the spec sheet that they have everything they need available. So we can only conclude that whatever made it measure like this, was a conscious choice.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's quite clear from the spec sheet that they have everything they need available. So we can only conclude that whatever made is measure like this, was a conscious choice.
I agree. I think what happened was the high frequency response of the woofer was sacrificed for better bass response as that is often seen as the main factor for a speaker's "quality".

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So we can only conclude that whatever made is measure like this, was a conscious choice.
The only thing that possibly is not by design is some of those resonances. From what can be seen from the inside, all wires are just loose and not damped. If it touches something it should not, it can easily create a resonance.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If people think some monitors have bad hiss, wait till they hear some active pa speakers lol.
We don't know where the RCF ART 9 Series speakers measure on the hiss scale. While it's generally true that self-noise is a lower priority with active portable live performance speakers, on some models hiss is reported to only be audible when putting one's ear right up next to the speaker as Sound On Sound reports in its review of the QSC CP8 and CP12:
QSC have a reputation for producing quiet active speakers, and there was very little (as in ear-to-the-grille virtually inaudible) background noise or hiss from the CP units when idling; power-up and down was an almost silent process with auto-mute on the audio signal, and I like the way the input level controls go all the way down to nothing.

mightycicadalord

We don't know where the RCF ART 9 Series speakers measure on the hiss scale. While it's generally true that self-noise is a lower priority with active portable live performance speakers, on some models hiss is reported to only be audible when putting one's ear right up next to the speaker as Sound On Sound reports in its review of the QSC CP8 and CP12:

Haven't heard the cp series or the art 9 but the k series has a good chunk of self noise. I had to help some bar with theirs a few weeks ago.

I ended up parting ways with the bar because they just let drunk patrons climb tables and steal ladders to mess with the speaker settings and don't do anything about it. I bought some physical plate lock out panels for them but people removed them! Also shame on QSC for creating a speaker with DSP and no way to lock it out digitally...

Also shame on QSC for selling me replacement parts but not offering any support on them unless you're an authorized repair center. I called them to swap a driver I ordered directly from their parts store, but wasn't sure what the polarity of the subs wiring was. They couldn't tell me. Yeah not buying their shit ever after that. I actually called back like an hour later and when prompted with "Are you an authorized repair center" I just said yes instead of no and they told me the info I needed? What a joke.

192kbps

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: Rating for far-field listening

Hello, How to understand the far-field?
It just means that this speaker is meant for desktop/computer use (2-4ft away) and preference rating is meant for a living room setup (8-14ft away). As such, the preference ratijg won’t be super accurate in it’s score.

For computer use, the “listening window“ is going to include a wider range both horizontal and vertical, and the predicted in-room curve would need to be altered in calculated also.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
I can't imagine what an extra $20 could do. I'd gladly pay the extra $20 for the port to be in the back and dampen the cabinet more. Hoping version 2 knocks it out of the park, this is quite close (not to mention at a very competitive cost).

Last edited:

Josh11886

dasdoing

Major Contributor
they just sold their brand for this one. no clue why brands are doing this shit.
a "real RCF" is made in Italy

rcf-v35-tts28-set-soundsale-5.jpg

yuyu

I exagerated a little, but it is clear that these are some sort of sub-division of RCF.
I suspect that this is just a low-quality product that RCF has completely designed and produced by a very poor OEM after receiving the license fee. No relationship with Italian RCF.

Flak

Industry Insider
I imagine that this model will sound pretty well with his subwoofer/s:
and some Dirac Live EQ (more precise than PEQ) thanks to its good directivity index
Subwoofer cost here:

Last edited:

Cote Dazur

Would this be a good choice for a mono speaker to listen to music in a mid size room, connected with a Y stereo to mono adaptor?

Top Bottom