• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel Speaker Review (by Erin)

GabrielPhoto

it's under the assumption that you will have some sort of Room correction that will put the Q350 to shape. Without room correction the Monoprice is easier to integrate into subwoofers and has a more neutral response.
Ok so with room correction, the Q350 is actually better than the Monoprice under the same condition? Just trying to understand this. I am about to receive the Monoprice so very curious about this.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok so with room correction, the Q350 is actually better than the Monoprice under the same condition? Just trying to understand this. I am about to receive the Monoprice so very curious about this.
Yes a coaxial will always be the best center speaker as long as you use it within its useable limits.

GabrielPhoto

Yes a coaxial will always be the best center speaker as long as you use it within its useable limits.
Does that not apply to the one I am currently testing as well the ELAC UC52? I know it has extra drivers though not just coaxial ones so maybe that makes a difference as it seems the Monolith is overall better?
Thanks

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does that not apply to the one I am currently testing as well the ELAC UC52? I know it has extra drivers though not just coaxial ones so maybe that makes a difference as it seems the Monolith is overall better?
Thanks
Check out this detailed video on this topic:

The only advantage the Monolith has over any well designed coaxial is the (potentially) higher sensitivity and the higher output capability (1x6.5 inch for the Q350 and 2x6.5 inch for the Monolith).

However with the KEF R2c output capability should be similar, so you're only looking at higher sensitivity for the traditional 3-way design at this case (and a little cheaper).

gbrnole

What makes you say that over this Monolith? I got curious and went to read the Q350 as a local is selling a single one but I did not get the same positive vibe from that review as I am getting from this one.
Thanks
the monolith is definitely more impressive than i anticipated it would be. the Q350 has it's flaws but the majority of the EQ it needs is in the 1khz and below region which is right in the wheelhouse of most capable room correction like DIRAC, ARC etc.

i tend to judge center speaker options against the RC263 as a reference and the Q350, for me, has an advantage there. not huge but it exists. the in-room anticipated for the monolith is impressive though for its price. my only real concerns are the nearly 2-ohm low point point. it's narrow where it occurs thankfully but that is a strain for some AVR's.

GabrielPhoto

the monolith is definitely more impressive than i anticipated it would be. the Q350 has it's flaws but the majority of the EQ it needs is in the 1khz and below region which is right in the wheelhouse of most capable room correction like DIRAC, ARC etc.

i tend to judge center speaker options against the RC263 as a reference and the Q350, for me, has an advantage there. not huge but it exists. the in-room anticipated for the monolith is impressive though for its price. my only real concerns are the nearly 2-ohm low point point. it's narrow where it occurs thankfully but that is a strain for some AVR's.
I have been considering the BassX A3 amp so guess it would be handy to have to not torture my 4400h if I keep this center.

gbrnole

keep in mind that your monolith will also benefit from room correction. it has decent smoothness so will EQ well. the SVS Prime Center and Emotiva were not great in that regard.

3125b

Major Contributor
In case anyone is interested: Monoprice currently has a 40% rebate for this speaker on amazon.de, so it goes for 244,79€ incl. shipping.
Very good deal.

gbrnole

I have been considering the BassX A3 amp so guess it would be handy to have to not torture my 4400h if I keep this center.
i just noticed that when i quick glanced at the impedance plot i made a BIG mistake. actual minimum impedance looks to be ~3.2 ohm. far more favorable than 2 ohm!!!

Actungz

How does this compare to the RC263? A bit narrower but it’s also cheaper when they actually come back in stock

KMM

In case anyone is interested: Monoprice currently has a 40% rebate for this speaker on amazon.de, so it goes for 244,79€ incl. shipping.
Very good deal.
Trying to locate it on Amazon.de. Got a link?

gbrnole

How does this compare to the RC263? A bit narrower but it’s also cheaper when they actually come back in stock

if you go grill-less, score 1 for the monoprice center. the RC263 has solid performance but i don't like it aesthetically. also erin clearly says in his video that this is the best speaker in the price category that he has measured or is aware of measurements of which would include the RC263.

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An interesting point is that the positive measured performance of the THX-365C is evidence that the THX Certified label may be more than just a marketing trick considering that to earn the label this speaker had to pass "hundreds of lab tests" conducted by THX engineers. Will be interesting to see if this level of performance is replicated in other THX Certified speakers when independently tested by Klippel.

https://www.thx.com/product/thx-certified-loudspeakers/

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if you go grill-less, score 1 for the monoprice center. the RC263 has solid performance but i don't like it aesthetically. also erin clearly says in his video that this is the best speaker in the price category that he has measured or is aware of measurements of which would include the RC263.
@hardisj obviously did not include the Infinity in this comment because it's far superior (at least spin wise).

strummr

This is ASR, 'function OVER form'... aesthetics are secondary, if not generally, lower priority considerations. But yes, I do agree, the Infinity R series are not the most visually pleasing - that tweeter waveguide, ack. (I'm still currently running the RC263 with my Revel F208s, as I'm still looking for a C208 - have a C205 which sounds a bit 'thin' compared to the RC263) The Monolith speakers have been on my budget center radar since my hopes for the Emo C2+ were dashed recently...

adam2434

The 365C was even a better value when they want on sale for $350 when the regular price was $400. I bought one in Dec '19 for $350.

As a side comment, I really wanted the 460T floorstanders to complete the front 3 channels. In April '21, I bought a pair and both had several scratches in similar places that looked to be from mishandling at the factory. I even returned 1 for a replacement, and the 3rd speaker had the same scratches. I ended up returning all the floorstanders. I tried several times to get an answer from Monoprice on whether the factory handling issue had been resolved, because I really wanted to try a pair again. I never received an answer from Monoprice, so moved on.

Actually, yesterday, a pair of Polk R700 floorstanders were delivered! Hope to start testing them out in the next couple days. The boxes weigh almost 100 lbs each, so moving them will be fun.

Top Bottom