• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel Speaker Review (by Erin)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks to @hardisj for another speaker review!

This is the 3-way center from Monoprice.
Retails for US$500.

Link to review:

DSC03136.JPG

CEA2034%20--%20Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Horizontal%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Vertical%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C_Compression.png

Erin's conclusion:
Due to the sheer number of speakers I am testing at this time, all subjective and objective takeaways will be discussed in video form. As stated in the Foreword, this written review is purposely a cliff’s notes version. For details about the performance (objectively and subjectively) please watch the YouTube video.

First off, the compression results threw me for a loop so I actually re-tested the speaker. Same result. I then did a comparison of the impedance at 0.10v vs 2.83v to see if anything stood out in that regard. There was a difference, but nothing that would quite explain what I was seeing. At least, not immediately. I double checked the speaker by opening it up and verifying nothing was loose or resonating inside. The results, therefore, stand.

Sensitivity is around 89dB @ 2.83v/1m. The on-axis response shows a dip around 1kHz but the listening window doesn’t exhibit this. Overall horizontal radiation is pretty wide so there shouldn’t be an issue with a sweet spot in typical home theater seating. Output is solid, barring the compression I mentioned above. Distortion is really quite low. EQ’ability looks good except for the 4kHz region where there is a transition to the tweeter, though, this isn’t really all that bad, either. All in all, I think this may be one of the better center channels I’ve seen under the $500 mark.

Discuss!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love it that they used my beloved crossover design software Leap (RIP) for the design.

Actungz

Would the linearity be an issue? Tbf even at 102db it just seems to be a 2db difference

warthor

This looks like it might take out a number of top center channels. Can't wait to see the preference score.

Can someone describe what this means in normal terms?

"First off, the compression results threw me for a loop so I actually re-tested the speaker. Same result. I then did a comparison of the impedance at 0.10v vs 2.83v to see if anything stood out in that regard. There was a difference, but nothing that would quite explain what I was seeing. At least, not immediately. I double checked the speaker by opening it up and verifying nothing was loose or resonating inside. The results, therefore, stand."

Thanks @hardisj

Doctors11

Thanks to @hardisj for another speaker review!

This is the 3-way center from Monoprice.
Retails for US$500.

Link to review:

DSC03136.JPG

CEA2034%20--%20Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Horizontal%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Vertical%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C_Compression.png

Erin's conclusion:

Discuss!
For almost the exact same price and layout I wonder how the Aperion Audio Novus three-way center would compare...?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For almost the exact same price and layout I wonder how the Aperion Audio Novus three-way center would compare...?

Without seeing the spin... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GabrielPhoto

I actually have the Monolith arriving tomorrow so was super pumped to see this posted today.
Just received the ELAC UC52 today as well.
I am on a center channel madness quest. :D

amper42

Major Contributor
I bought the Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel on sale two years ago for $349. It was just the right size for my shelf under the TV. It's a well built speaker that sounds awesome. I use it for Home theatre with the Denon 4700. It sounds great and the price was amazing for this high quality center. I'm totally happy with it.

warthor

You know what they say: "A spinorama in hand is better than two unmeasured center channels in the bush"

In seriousness, I do wish Aperion would provide some data to see how they stack up but I don't think we have many measurements from them.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like loudspeakers with mid domes but the problem of using them at such WMW configuration is their too high crossover frequency which causes those lobes at the horizontal directivity. But still way better than most MTM centers and also very welcome buying alternative at that price range.

sword

I like loudspeakers with mid domes but the problem of using them at such WMW configuration is their too high crossover frequency which causes those lobes at the horizontal directivity. But still way better than most MTM centers and also very welcome buying alternative at that price range.
35 to 40 degrees off axis is not an issue.

MonolithGuy

Audio Company
I wonder who is the OEM?
It's a custom product as most Monolith products are of a ground up engineering and design.

FWIW, Designed by Dan Roemer, Claridy Audio and myself... built in the same factory as the Monolith subwoofers & Perlisten. All the good stuff is probably Dan, all the bad stuff is probably me. ;)

--Edited the above. I originally I said "customer" product and not "custom". Long day, but at least I'm always thinking about the customer! ;)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a customer product as most Monolith products are of a ground up engineering and design.

FWIW, Designed by Dan Roemer, Claridy Audio and myself... built in the same factory as the Monolith subwoofers & Perlisten. All the good stuff is probably Dan, all the bad stuff is probably me. ;)
Thank you for the information. Maybe you will consider updating your Wikipedia entry?

Monoprice is an American online retailer that sells generic-branded consumer electronics under its namesake private label, as well as name brand consumer electronics and outdoor equipment.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The 96dB distortion performance is damned impressive for the money, not gonna lie.

Relatively flat on-axis, I see one resonance around 250hz in the impedance graph. Not sure quite what's going on around 2k, nothing pops out to me.

Last edited:

Benedium

Forum Donor
I actually have the Monolith arriving tomorrow so was super pumped to see this posted today.
Just received the ELAC UC52 today as well.
I am on a center channel madness quest. :D
I tried the UC52 in my room and it was seriously insensitive. Audyssey calibration resulted in -0.5db levels when center listening position was just 1.9m away. Otherwise it sounded like it had much better imaging than the usual 2 way centers. Pity its so power hungry.

Top Bottom