• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Ncore NC252MP market overview

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was trying to buy a NC252MP module to give Class D a try, but couldn't order it by itself anywhere. Hypex forbids the sale of the modules to DIY tinkerers such as me. So i took some time and collected the OEMs that use that specific module in their amps.

Every single one of them would have done the trick, they all should sound more or less the same, which i guess is very good news.
You can buy using appearance, price, minor features, case quality or binding posts as your main criteria. What a time to be alive :cool:

Manufacturer
Model
Module
Price/with VAT
URL
ASR Username
12v Trigger
Signal in
Clip LED
LED
Notes
Apollon​
NCMP400​
Hypex NC252MP​
790€/​
Slovenia​
450mm/82mm/292mm​
XLR​
WTB CU or speakON, black or silver, paid options: 12v trigger, WBT AG and feet​
Audiophonics​
MPA-S250NC RCA​
Hypex NC252MP​
415.83€/494.8€​
France​
141mm/65mm/357mm​
y​
RCA​
Trigger is labeled 5-12V​
Audiophonics​
MPA-S250NC XLR​
Hypex NC252MP​
415.83€/494.8€​
France​
141mm/65mm/357mm​
y​
XLR​
Trigger is labeled 5-12V​
BoXem​
Arthur 3409/N2​
Hypex NC252MP​
790€/940.1€​
Luxembourg​
224mm/80mm/318mm​
XLR​
y​
3 faceplate and 2 body colors, signal sensing (auto on/off), clip indicator​
Buckeye​
Hypex NC252MP​
Hypex NC252MP​
USD579/​
USA​
7“/3.5“/12“​
y​
XLR​
y​
Trigger switchable, signal sensing (auto on/off), priced options: rackmount, colors, speakON​
Buckeye​
NC252MP Ghent build​
Hypex NC252MP​
USD549/​
USA​
XLR​
on/dimmed​
black or silver, LED black,green,orange,white, see https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/2180a-2.html
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM i250​
Hypex NC252MP​
537.19€/​
Netherlands​
y​
RCAx3​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver, volume control, selectable 3 channel input​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM Ncore​
Hypex NC252MP​
453.72€/​
Netherlands​
y​
RCA​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM Ncore​
Hypex NC252MP​
453.72€/​
Netherlands​
y​
XLR​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM v250 RCA​
Hypex NC252MP​
516.53€/​
Netherlands​
y​
RCA​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver, volume control​
Internet Of Music (IOM)​
IOM v250 XLR​
Hypex NC252MP​
536.36€/​
Netherlands​
y​
XLR​
on/off/dimmed​
black or silver, volume control​
KJF Audio​
SA-01​
Hypex NC252MP​
£590/​
UK​
230mm/83mm/370mm​
y​
RCA or XLR​
y​
Overtemp indication, they use the word „Phono“ for RCA connectors, Paid options: Walnut/Sapele/Cherry/Maple front panels, silver RCA connector​
March Audio
P252
Hypex NC252MP
AUS716/
Australia
180mm/75mm/330mm
y
XLR
y
comes with USB drive containing documentation, discontinued around end of march 2022​
Nord​
Nord One MP NC252​
Hypex NC252MP​
£479/​
UK​
240mm/94mm/280mm​
RCA or XLR​
black or silver, claims 2x200W/8 Ohms, priced options: 12v trigger​
Nord​
Nord One SE MP NC253​
Hypex NC252MP​
£544/​
UK​
240mm/94mm/280mm​
RCA or XLR​
black or silver, claims 2x200W/8 Ohms, priced options: 12v trigger​
VTV​
VTV Hypex MP​
Hypex NC252MP​
USD579/​
USA​
8“/3.125“/11“​
on/off/dimmed​
Paid options: 12V Trigger in/out, different Speaker Terminals​

Edit #1: Removed the in stock column as it will age like warm milk.
Edit #2: Removed Apollons Dual NC252MP, replaced with single NC252MP offer
Edit #3: Added Apollon ASR user
Edit #4: March Audio P252 discontinued
Edit #5: Buckeye went from USD529 to USD579, Ghent build stayed the same. Also shows clipping.
Edit #6: Buckeye has ability to sense signal (auto on/off)
Edit #7: BoXem price went up from 749€ to 790€ without tax

I stopped tracking changes because of lack of time and interest on my part.
If you want to continue, feel free to copy everything as a starting point. I'll be happy to point to your post if you drop me a note.

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice, thanks. Are there any obvious reasons why the prices vary so much, to justify paying more than approx. 500€ ?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, thanks. Are there any obvious reasons why the prices vary so much, to justify paying more than approx. 500€ ?
Except that Audiophonics is a larger shop and orders larger quantities? I don't think so.

Some try to add value by appealing to nationality, hand built in the USA, hand built in the UK and so on. But the enclosures are likely from China and the modules always from Belgium.

Others add value by adding features, for example autosensing of the music signal or large VU meters. I can see value in that.

Brand name? Fancier case? 12V triggers?
The 500€ proposition has the trigger by default :cool:

It's also very easy to add it yourself later. There is a 3.3v to 12v trigger on the module itself, just add a cable and route it through some enclosure holes outside if you don't want to void warranty.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, i'm open to more manufacturers or correction on prices if anyone sees something. :)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Except that Audiophonics is a larger shop and orders larger quantities? I don't think so.

Some try to add value by appealing to nationality, hand built in the USA, hand built in the UK and so on. But the enclosures are likely from China and the modules always from Belgium.

Others add value by adding features, for example autosensing of the music signal or large VU meters. I can see value in that.

The 500€ proposition has the trigger by default :cool:

It's also very easy to add it yourself later. There is a 3.3v to 12v trigger on the module itself, just add a cable and route it through some enclosure holes outside if you don't want to void warranty.
Modules are not from Belgium. They are made in Malaysia and designed/sold by a Dutch company ;).
Our cases are made in France, some of our competitors use cases made in Italy.

MCH

Major Contributor
I must say the signal sensing feature of boxem is a very good feature to have. And you don't need to worry of your dac or pre having a trigger

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Modules are not from Belgium. They are made in Malaysia and designed/sold by a Dutch company ;).
Point is, international division of labour is a thing. There is, for most, no value in "hand assembled in the UK". There is, however, value in a manufacturer that one can directly talk to.

I ordered the Audiophonics module, because of price and fast shipping from Bordeaux to Germany.

The only manufacturer i don't get is Nord Acoustics with their strange 2x200w @ 8 ohm.

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The really expensive Apollon one in the table is actually dual-NC252MP, running bridged, so not comparable with the others.

Their basic single-NC252MP model is the NCMP400 for €790 + VAT - still pricey, but less out of line.

(Just acquired a 5-channel Purifi 1ET400A amp from them, and it's a thing of beauty.)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The really expensive Apollon one in the table is actually dual-NC252MP, running bridged, so not comparable with the others.

Their basic single-NC252MP model is the NCMP400 for €790 + VAT - still pricey, but less out of line.

(Just acquired a 5-channel Purifi 1ET400A amp from them, and it's a thing of beauty.)
Apollon did build me a custom small chassis for my NC502MP, it was also a thing of beauty. Sold it to a friend though who is very happy with it.

My current NC800SL is stock so the website pictures are similar, and my new multichannel is also custom, it is about to be installed in a few weeks.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, fixed. :cool:

It sure is! :oops:

Grierts

Hey, newb question.

What's so special about the Hypex NC252MP / Hypex Nc502mp ?

Thinking about ordering a 3/4 channel Hypex Nc502mp.

Can this be used for a home theater setup ??

Last edited:
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They offer very good objective performance for little money, thus have high value. All of those modules offer good sound/power to price ratio, often not easy to reach with designs such as A/B.
Also less heat and smaller size.

I would open a new thread for that, since there are a few questions you should answer first, what speakers do you have or plan to use, how far are those speakers from you and how loud do you expect to listen to them (maybe you are limited by neighbors?).
The general answer is probably yes. But the specifics, for example, maybe a smaller module will do, can be discussed then.

Grierts

They offer very good objective performance for little money, thus have high value. All of those modules offer good sound/power to price ratio, often not easy to reach with designs such as A/B.
Also less heat and smaller size.

I would open a new thread for that, since there are a few questions you should answer first, what speakers do you have or plan to use, how far are those speakers from you and how loud do you expect to listen to them (maybe you are limited by neighbors?).
The general answer is probably yes. But the specifics, for example, maybe a smaller module will do, can be discussed then.
OO i will private message you Batman.

F

freemansteve

Hey, newb question.

£££££ or €€€€€ or $$$$$

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Fleuch

Difficult to see why the manufacture restricts the sale of the NC252 module, surely a "free trade" issue here for the EU. The NC252 module is a neat solution, particularly when paired with the Ghent Audio kit, as it is 2-channel and has an on-the-board power supply.

The manufacturer has a separate web site for DiY (https://www.diyclassd.com/) where the only options are the NC400 module and a variety of UcD modules, all single channel, none with an integrated power supply. All push the price much higher than the NC252 requiring two modules per channel together and additional power supply board(s). In brief, this definately restricts customer choice and at a significant cost to the customer.

As Amir noted in an earlier review (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ypex-nc502mp-multichannel-amp-teardown.27648/) the Hypex modules use third or fourth tier capacitors (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193-5.html).

pma

Major Contributor
Difficult to see why the manufacture restricts the sale of the NC252 module, surely a "free trade" issue here for the EU.
You are completely wrong. NC252MP belongs to the OEM production range that is sold only to electrical equipment manufacturers and must not be re-sold to end users. Hypex also have a DIY product range and these products are intended to be sold to individual end users.

Fleuch

You are completely wrong. NC252MP belongs to the OEM production range that is sold only to electrical equipment manufacturers and must not be re-sold to end users. Hypex also have a DIY product range and these products are intended to be sold to individual end users.
Exactly what was originally written, the manufacturer restricts the sale of the NC252 module and the DIY product range can be found at https://www.diyclassd.com/.

This in turn means that Ghent Audio is only able to sell the case kit for the NC252 to electrical equipment manufacturers, so why does it offer a "solderless" option?

However I observe you found a way of obtaining a NC252 module to build your own amplifier, as set out at https://pmacura.cz/pma_nc252mp.htm.

So what you are really saying is that individual constructors should not have access to the same products as an electrical equipment manufacturer, such as you, has.

Rather an elitist and discriminatory approach for this day and age, is it not?

Top Bottom