• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

Descartes

Major Contributor
Not yet but Anthem has started to market the AVM90 a bit on their social media posts. Feels like it’s getting closer.
They have been saying that for a while now!
Maybe fall 2022

D

Deleted member 43441

They have been saying that for a while now!
Maybe fall 2022

This is available pre-order on a couple of websites.

Anybody know anything about this, is it going to be spec’d like the 70?

It’s a lot more money, I’m wondering what it offers, I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on something that measures well. This being said the AVM 70 looks very capable.

Stormchaser80

This is available pre-order on a couple of websites.

Anybody know anything about this, is it going to be spec’d like the 70?

It’s a lot more money, I’m wondering what it offers, I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on something that measures well. This being said the AVM 70 looks very capable.

AVM90 vs. AVM70
1. DACs are the very best made from ESS, 16 times the cost of DACs of AVM70
2. Has updated circuitry (higher end for better sonic performance)
3. Supports 4 independent subs vs. 2
4. Comes with HDMI 2.1 fully supported vs. upgrade path

See the video on top as well.

D

Deleted member 43441

AVM90 vs. AVM70
2. Has updated circuitry (higher end for better sonic performance)
3. Supports 4 independent subs vs. 2
4. Comes with HDMI 2.1 fully supported vs. upgrade path

See the video on top as well.

Oh wow thanks for this! Going to watch that right away.

I may end up an Anthem convert. But I’m so used to my Marantz, it’s nine years old but I know it’s time to move on pretty soon. It’s tough when you’re used to something, and you know everything about it. I’m assuming there’s a pretty big learning curve to this one.

Descartes

Major Contributor
It has been on preorder for over a year so that doesn’t mean anything! Had one on order a year ago still waiting for it!

D

Deleted member 43441

It has been on preorder for over a year so that doesn’t mean anything! Had one on order a year ago still waiting for it!

In that case I’m glad I didn’t give them my money a year ago

D

Deleted member 43441

Must be the whole supply chain thing, that’s too bad, and I don’t know how they could make you wait for something that long.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Must be the whole supply chain thing, that’s too bad, and I don’t know how they could make you wait for something that long.
On things like that, I would only order from a vendor as a “pre order” with no charge to you. Once your unit is available then pay. I would never let them charge you and if they wanted to, would look for another vendor.

D

Deleted member 43441

On things like that, I would only order from a vendor as a “pre order” with no charge to you. Once your unit is available then pay. I would never let them charge you and if they wanted to, would look for another vendor.

Good advice, and it’s not like I do this all the time. I was going to order a new Freya + just recently, and they were not going to pull the money until it shipped like you said. I ended up getting a used one.

I’m wondering what makes the new version worth twice the price? Besides the four subwoofer outputs what are we getting? Looks like better spec’d DAC’s, but I couldn’t find the specs for the ones on the AVM 70.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good advice, and it’s not like I do this all the time. I was going to order a new Freya + just recently, and they were not going to pull the money until it shipped like you said. I ended up getting a used one.

I’m wondering what makes the new version worth twice the price? Besides the four subwoofer outputs what are we getting? Looks like better spec’d DAC’s, but I couldn’t find the specs for the ones on the AVM 70.
Better DACs and 4 subwoofer outputs. It has yet to be determined/measured if the better DACs result in better dac performance. In my opinion it is overpriced compared to the AVM70. Conversely, I actually don’t think the StormAudio MK2 (which I have) or the Trinnov is overpriced relative to what you get. In my opinion the Monoprice HTP1 would have probably been my choice in my theater if it weren’t for the boot loop issue.

D

Deleted member 43441

Better DACs and 4 subwoofer outputs. It has yet to be determined/measured if the better DACs result in better dac performance. In my opinion it is overpriced compared to the AVM70. Conversely, I actually don’t think the StormAudio MK2 (which I have) or the Trinnov is overpriced relative to what you get. In my opinion the Monoprice HTP1 would have probably been my choice in my theater if it weren’t for the boot loop issue.

Thanks for replying.
I was hopeful of the monoprice myself, but looks like there were some definite issues there.
It also looks like the deal is the Anthem AVM 70.

It looks like the Datasat is a no go.

So the big question is how do you like your stormaudio piece?

Descartes

Major Contributor

Because they can! ;)

tparm

Forum Donor
I started a post with this too but thought it would be appropriate to add here with more detail. Now that I am more familiar with ARC I really like it and am pleased with the results it provides. I even went back through all channels with Quick Measure and ARC enabled to find al channels where within +/- less than 1 dB of each other post-calibration.

In my room it was a puzzle to measure speaker/sub and room treatment placement. I am no expert on a proper process for this and frankly I have holes all over my room as I did it when I first moved in (yes, a brand new space, my fiancé just shakes her head and smiles as she exits the room haha), lived it with for four months and ended up redoing nearly everything (LCR and Sub placement, room treatment locations changed because of placement adjustments, went from 7.2.4 with 2 of the 7 being front wides to 5.2.4, and changed amps -because as you know this hobby can sometimes be a sickness).

Once I landed on ideal locations for my subs, I ran a baseline curve to determine 72-73 dB. Then I switched polarity and looked at results, then 0, 90 and 180 phase. Once settled on those settings (negative and 0) I enabled room gain adjustment at 25 Hz (I think, or was it 21, I don't recall) to knock down the spike at lowest frequencies. That made a big change in the overall curve in itself. Then I did the unthinkable and boosted the response at both 47 Hz and 61 Hz by a few dB to get that null or dip up to at least the 70 dB range.

As I went through the process one small adjustment could affect affect a larger section of the curve or the curve overall so I was careful to only make one change at a time and take a measurement. I pretty much got the entire frequency range within 5-6 dB before running ARC. Once satisfied with my results, I went back and adjusted the gain on each sub to get them back to that 72-73 dB range before running ARC. It looked like the curve changed with the volume adjustment, and I suppose it did, but unless it does something freaky you should be fine. Now, time to run ARC (I always use the default volume setting and as you can see from my summary of results it works well for me).

I'm fortunate to have roughly the same result from both of my subs so time aligning wasn't something I messed with. I did change the distance by one foot each way and took measurements and it didn't change anything for me. I realize all rooms are different so this is a step that may take more effort for some folks.

Attachments

• ARC results.jpg
    ARC results.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 157
  • room front.jpg
    room front.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 173
  • sub 1 post.jpg
    sub 1 post.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 150
  • sub 1 pre.jpg
    sub 1 pre.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 129
  • sub 2 post.jpg
    sub 2 post.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 118
  • sub 2 pre.jpg
    sub 2 pre.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 134

Massimo

This thread is to discuss the review of the AVM70. If you wish to complain about availability of the AVM90, you should ask elsewhere.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AVM90 vs. AVM70

That's not what the sales rep said in the video. I thought he said AKM (consistent with info previously released by Anthem), not ESS. From what I have read before, the AVM70 has the AK4490, same as that in the Marantz AV8805 and Denon AVR-X8500H. The AVM90 supposedly had the AK4499, that's info from Anthem from way back, before the AKM factory fire. Since then D+M and probably others have switched to other DAC ICs such as those made by TI and ESS.

AKM apparently has resumed production of some of their DAC chips but I don't see the AK4490 and 4499 on the list, may be there has been another update?

So now I don't think anyone knows for sure which DAC IC Anthem has used in those two models. I think we have to get the official words from Anthem, and not just believe 3 rd parties such as dealers, and magazine reviewers.

Regardless, at $3,500, the AVM 70 is hard to beat.

Stormchaser80

That's not what the sales rep said in the video. I thought he said AKM (consistent with info previously released by Anthem), not ESS. From what I have read before, the AVM70 has the AK4490, same as that in the Marantz AV8805 and Denon AVR-X8500H. The AVM90 supposedly had the AK4499, that's info from Anthem from way back, before the AKM factory fire. Since then D+M and probably others have switched to other DAC ICs such as those made by TI and ESS.

AKM apparently has resumed production of some of their DAC chips but I don't see the AK4490 and 4499 on the list, may be there has been another update?

So now I don't think anyone knows for sure which DAC IC Anthem has used in those two models. I think we have to get the official words from Anthem, and not just believe 3 rd parties such as dealers, and magazine reviewers.

Regardless, at $3,500, the AVM 70 is hard to beat.
Both units are now ESS DACs. Older AVM70 are AKM. They had released (and removed) a spec sheet for the AVM90 in early Feb that listed the ESS DAC. I was also able to identify a different ESS DAC for the newer AVM70s via photo of the guts.

Top Bottom