• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping and Aoshida after sales service and product repairs

1stThunder

I would like to share my first hand experience with after sales service from Aoshida and Topping.

I loved the product reviews backed by measurements on this site. I was looking for a USB DAC and was very interested in the Topping D90se after reading the review. At the time I had hesitation of buying from companies I didn't know. Topping's official website does not contain much information about after sales service and product warranty. I used Google to search and found many questions but very few answers.

Considering the prices of the Chinese DACs being at a fraction of the costs of the traditional high-end DACs, I decided to purchase a cheap one to try it out. I first bought a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII for AUD$151, which measured very well. It sounded OK, but not great. Next, I purchased a Topping D90se from Aoshida for USD$899. The sound of the Topping D90se is absolutely fantastic! I love it!

Unfortunately, after a few months of use the D90se was down and couldn't be turned on. I guess that it might have been caused by over-voltage because on that same afternoon when my friend and I were trying various HiFi equipment at my friend's house we had a total of 3 HiFi component failures - D90se, Marantz HD DAC-1 and a tube power amplifier. Of course, I didn't have the equipment to measure the street supplied voltage on that day so I could never know the actual cause of the failure. In Sydney, street supplied voltage can sometimes go as high as 256VAC!

Anyway, I contacted Topping via their official site, since Topping provides one year warranty. Topping first sent me instructions to check the fuse. When the fuse was found intact, Topping advised me to contact the retail shop I bought the D90se from. Since I bought it from Aoshiba I contacted Aoshiba. Lisa from Aoshiba advised me to send the D90se to her and she would send it to Topping for repair. So I did.

Yesterday I received the repaired D90se from Topping/Aoshida! The D90se is working as well as before!

Arnas

I have low end Topping Dx7 that i bought about 4 or 5 years ago and even that works perfectly as the 1st day!
Too much people talking crap about Chinese stuff when i only heard about them steping up their craft in every way possible.
Build, support, technicalities everything is improving.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I have low end Topping Dx7 that i bought about 4 or 5 years ago and even that works perfectly as the 1st day!
Too much people talking crap about Chinese stuff when i only heard about them steping up their craft in every way possible.
Build, support, technicalities everything is improving.
Quess it depends a lot where you bought the Chinese equipment from.

Some will be super helpful and customer friendly. Aoshida is definitely one of the good ones.

But there are plenty of Chinese eBay stores where they sell fakes or disappear after a couple of months and set up new store

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I would like to share my first hand experience with after sales service from Aoshida and Topping.

I loved the product reviews backed by measurements on this site. I was looking for a USB DAC and was very interested in the Topping D90se after reading the review. At the time I had hesitation of buying from companies I didn't know. Topping's official website does not contain much information about after sales service and product warranty. I used Google to search and found many questions but very few answers.

Considering the prices of the Chinese DACs being at a fraction of the costs of the traditional high-end DACs, I decided to purchase a cheap one to try it out. I first bought a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII for AUD$151, which measured very well. It sounded OK, but not great. Next, I purchased a Topping D90se from Aoshida for USD$899. The sound of the Topping D90se is absolutely fantastic! I love it!

Unfortunately, after a few months of use the D90se was down and couldn't be turned on. I guess that it might have been caused by over-voltage because on that same afternoon when my friend and I were trying various HiFi equipment at my friend's house we had a total of 3 HiFi component failures - D90se, Marantz HD DAC-1 and a tube power amplifier. Of course, I didn't have the equipment to measure the street supplied voltage on that day so I could never know the actual cause of the failure. In Sydney, street supplied voltage can sometimes go as high as 256VAC!

Anyway, I contacted Topping via their official site, since Topping provides one year warranty. Topping first sent me instructions to check the fuse. When the fuse was found intact, Topping advised me to contact the retail shop I bought the D90se from. Since I bought it from Aoshiba I contacted Aoshiba. Lisa from Aoshiba advised me to send the D90se to her and she would send it to Topping for repair. So I did.

Yesterday I received the repaired D90se from Topping/Aoshida! The D90se is working as well as before!
Something like this will be helpful
20220219_000909_HDR.jpg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to hear that there is service with these brands.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or maybe a PS Audio PowerPlant 12...?
:)
Haha I was thinking the same. I’m glad you can get topping serviced. I’ve had good experiences with Chinese brands. They really want to be the next Japan/Korea.

kenshone

How long was the process, end to end?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just buy an on-line & senoidal APC UPS.
Yes, I have one in every room. Some rooms just have small ones (for led desk & table lamps) my stereo is on a pair of 1350 watt ones, my refrigerator is on 1 1350 watter.
WIFI & computers at our home each have their own units.
One night the power plant for our are went down about 2 AM, leading to an Island wide blackout. My wife went outside to empty our trash. She came back, astonished that we were the only ones that had lights, etc. I said "You know all the little black boxes I have in every room that you hate? They are the reason that we are the only ones that have power when no one else does. She said "Oh, then they were a good idea". Since then (about 7 years ago) she has not said a thing about the USP's.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the beeping?

I have a few in the basement to handle internet, NAS, wifi etc but no way could I stand the beeping noise upstairs.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the beeping?

I have a few in the basement to handle internet, NAS, wifi etc but no way could I stand the beeping noise upstairs.
I never noticed it beeping. Perhaps my electrician friend in Guam did something to them so they don't beep.

JSmith

Master Contributor
In Sydney, street supplied voltage can sometimes go as high as 256VAC!
Since you've had multiple equipment failure I'd suggest getting a sparky around to check your power and if it's out of range of the below then report same to your electricity provider;
In 2000, Standards Australia issued a system Standard AS60038, with 230 V as the nominal voltage with a +10% to –6% variation at the point of supply, i.e., 253 V to 216.2 V. A new power quality standard, AS61000.3.100, was released in 2011 that details additional requirements. The new standard stipulates a nominal 230 V, and the allowable voltage to the customer's point of supply is, as mentioned, +10% to –6%. However, the preferred operating range is +6% to –2%. (244 V to 225 V).

JSmith

FuzzTone

In the USA buy from APOS. They send a prepaid label, the replace.

Lräk

I'll be sending my PA5 to Aoshida too. How long did it take to get your repaired D90se back?

jevchance

I'll be sending my PA5 to Aoshida too. How long did it take to get your repaired D90se back?
Me as well. Have they been responsive? I just messaged them through Amazon on Friday and haven't heard back, hoping to hear from them Monday.

Svensson

My much loved D90SE failed a couple of days ago. Odd circumstances. I wanted to reposition cables. Used power off on the remote control, then switched off properly using the rear rocker switch. Moved cables for my amp etc. Reconnected everything using the same power sockets. Powered on the Topping and nothing at all. No powerup at all. The house lights were on throught as was the TV,. with no sign of power fluctuations. I do note that the D90SE was always slightly warm, compared to my E30 and E50 which are always only ever feel cool. Sadly not purchased via Aishida I used HiFi College.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My much loved D90SE failed a couple of days ago. Odd circumstances. I wanted to reposition cables. Used power off on the remote control, then switched off properly using the rear rocker switch. Moved cables for my amp etc. Reconnected everything using the same power sockets. Powered on the Topping and nothing at all. No powerup at all. The house lights were on throught as was the TV,. with no sign of power fluctuations. I do note that the D90SE was always slightly warm, compared to my E30 and E50 which are always only ever feel cool. Sadly not purchased via Aishida I used HiFi College.

Is it out of warranty?

I’d lay money on the meanwell smps inside the unit.

Top Bottom