• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub 25K active speaker/system choice

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
If it's Genelec I would get the 8361's and forget the subs. KISS. In that price range I would get Salon 2's with some big ass Class D amp. High end passive speakers are complex, and subs add another layer. I wonder how hard it is to get anything fixed on Reunion Island.

If I lived there, I would be out on a boat most of the time and be mostly concerned about having a bunch of full scuba tanks on hand.

Last edited:
OP
L

lherrm

I guess it's to late to tell you about lx521.4? :) Have you ordered Genelec already?
Just ordered. But I'd love to hear about the LX521.4. Do you have those ?

Reactions: CMB
OP
L

lherrm

If it's Genelec I would get the 8361's and forget the subs. KISS. In that price range I would get Salon 2's with some big ass Class D amp. High end passive speakers are complex, and subs add another layer. I wonder how hard it is to get anything fixed on Reunion Island.

If I lived there, I would be out on a boat most of the time and be mostly concerned about having a bunch of full scuba tanks on hand.
I went for 8351B+W371A because I expect the integration will be very smooth, and the result better.

I cross fingers and hope I won't have issue with them soon. No dealer to service them here, unless it's something an electrician could do (which I don't), I would have to send them back.

Good thing is that boat and hifi don't have to be exclusive !

Last edited:

CMB

I went for 8351B+W371A because I expect the integration will be very smooth, and the result better.

Ohhh and I thought you wanted them in your living room. It s for your boat ???
Waiting for your invitation to Reunion.
But better wait after Batsirai.
Stay safe

YSC

Major Contributor

I cross fingers and hope I won't have issue with them soon. No dealer to service them here, unless it's something an electrician could do (which I don't), I would have to send them back.

I am starting to get jealous about your disposable income

Hope you enjoy your setup to their full potential

OP
L

lherrm

Expected date (delivery to shop, not me) for 8351B : March, 4th; W371A : April, 15th.
If everything goes fine I should get them by middle of May.
As a courtesy they offer me a GLM kit.
Now that makes four of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4708

Congrats! At some point, I wanted to go 8361A+ + W371A. 8351B might be even better. At this point around 25K$-30K$ systems I would consider:
Genelec 8351B/W371A
MEG 801K
Perlisten S7T + Benchmark AHB2

The Genelecs are one unitary package, no drama to mix and match, etc. Kind of set and forget. Great choice!

YSC

Major Contributor
Congrats! At some point, I wanted to go 8361A+ + W371A. 8351B might be even better. At this point around 25K$-30K$ systems I would consider:
Genelec 8351B/W371A
MEG 801K
Perlisten S7T + Benchmark AHB2

The Genelecs are one unitary package, no drama to mix and match, etc. Kind of set and forget. Great choice!
among these I would say I really don't like the MEG design, Perlisten looks more pleasing in a living room, but the Genelecs I am sure will get you best sound out of the list. tried very simple PEQ on a completely untreat tiny room littered with junk around for my analog Genelecs, and the sound is already amazing to my ears

D

Deleted member 4708

1500e for the shipping (170kg - 375lbs), by boat, 30 days.
So I'm looking at (20.5 + 1.5) * 1.23 (23% tax and customs fees) = 27k total delivered.
I can't help but having quite high expectations. Which should lead to delusion.
No no and no. You will love them. If you're not impressed with them it has to be the room. I have listened to the combo and it is SOTA. Shock and awe, no exaggeration.

radio3

Yep, esthetics is one of my criteria, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.
While I too find the Grimm good looking, I also like the Genelec combo :

3HaPRHJ.jpg

If I could afford Genelec then I’d have them for every speaker in the house. Part of why I mention this is that you mentioned possible future ht and I think a pair of these in white and then a big happy family of little mini Genelecs all around as surrounds, heights channels, computer speakers etc would frankly look awesome.

Not just for the coherency but the visual interest of different sizes of the same shapes all around. It’s a bit of a Scandinavian design trick that I’ve always rather liked. coffee tables sets where you have 3 different sizes of the same design kind of clustered around it just looks cool.

OP
L

lherrm

8351Bs have arrived to the shop, 2 months ahead of schedule.
Waiting for the W371As to have it all shipped.
Edit : woops got it wrong, it was on schedule.

Last edited:
OP
L

lherrm

Tried using the 8351 standalone? I would expect quite a improvement compared to solo6 Be after GLM
Anyways : I unfortunately can't try the 8351B alone because they're 10 000 km away. The delivery will be in a single shipment in order to be cheaper.

YSC

Major Contributor
Anyways : I unfortunately can't try the 8351B alone because they're 10 000 km away. The delivery will be in a single shipment in order to be cheaper.
ah I see, I somehow have a mindset that "in the shop" means the shop in the corner of the street

OP
L

lherrm

Keep telling about my life : W371A delayed till 21/06 (for now) due to components shortage.

Digby

Major Contributor
Maybe this information is too late, but if I was you I would go for passive speakers. Genelec require their speakers to be serviced by their authorised people, so if they break (outside of warranty) there will be a fair bit of expense shipping back and forth. All well and good having state of the art speakers, but if they are broken, then...

I dunno, maybe you can have a word and arrange something given you are so far away, if the need arises....

OP
L

lherrm

Maybe this information is too late, but if I was you I would go for passive speakers. Genelec require their speakers to be serviced by their authorised people, so if they break (outside of warranty) there will be a fair bit of expense shipping back and forth. All well and good having state of the art speakers, but if they are broken, then...

I dunno, maybe you can have a word and arrange something given you are so far away, if the need arises....
Thanks for the (rightful) warning. I'll just rely on my luck. If the 8351B needs service, shipping will be manageable. For the W371, well, I'll see.

Top Bottom