• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nvidia Shield HDMI Extractor 24/192 for under $100

SDVanman

The cable matters unit suggested in a prior post:

Cable Matters HDMI Extractor

Has been out of stock for awhile. I tried the Monolith Blackbird and it not improve on the 16/44.1 I am receiving straight from the NVidia Shield and it eliminated Dolby Vision capability.

Has anyone had luck with an affordable sub $100 HDMI extractor that will pass 24/192 and maintain Dolby vision?

I am starting to wonder if a used AVR that handles HDMI switching may be a better option.

NVidia Shield>Vizio M55>Schit Modi>Schitt Heresey>Aiyma A07 (Buckeye 2 channel on order)>Kef R3

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
24/192 won't audibly improve upon 16/44.1
You can do a simple test to compare 24/192 vs downsampled to 16/44.1 - you can't possibly audibly distinguish them on any system.

If you insist on having 24/192 music on HDMI though, an option similar to Shield would be FireTV Cube with Amazon Music Ultra HD - produces 24/192 output on HDMI to receiver.

OP
S

SDVanman

I am interested in the increased dynamic range offered by a higher bit rate. Waiting for the cable matters unit to come back into stock (love the shield overall) may be my only option.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I am interested in the increased dynamic range offered by a higher bit rate. Waiting for the cable matters unit to come back into stock (love the shield overall) may be my only option.
Dynamic range improvement of Hi-Res music is only theoretical for music playback and won't improve anything audibly.
I would go as far as to say that you won't be able to distinguish lossy 320kbps compression vs 16/44.1 lossless, let alone lossless vs Hi-Res. There's even a test for that: http://abx.digitalfeed.net/lame.320.html

JSmith

Master Contributor
HDMI extractor that will pass 24/192
There was some discussion about same here with a few product recommendations etc.;

JSmith

Top Bottom