• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

wje

Forum Donor
Looks like Alesis RA300 only what parts are different?
The Alesis RA300 is a different amplifier than the A800. The Alesis seems more along the lines of the Behringer A500 amplifier.

16cores

Has anyone used this amp with the elac dbr62 speakers by chance? nearfield listening maybe 1.5-2m away in a small to medium room specifically.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Has anyone used this amp with the elac dbr62 speakers by chance? nearfield listening maybe 1.5-2m away in a small to medium room specifically.

You seem to be asking for me.

Yes and yes and yes. I just had to adjust room modes to avoid a boomy room and I have had the best most complete sound I ever had, I specially love the tweeters in these speakers. I also have a plugged Subwoofer and the result couldn't be better.

Behringer though ended up going to my main living room which is bigger , with a couple of wharfedale diamond 225.

Anyone specific you want to ask.. I am not too knowledgeable like some people here but I'll do my best.

16cores

You seem to be asking for me.

Yes and yes and yes. I just had to adjust room modes to avoid a boomy room and I have had the best most complete sound I ever had, I specially love the tweeters in these speakers. I also have a plugged Subwoofer and the result couldn't be better.

Behringer though ended up going to my main living room which is bigger , with a couple of wharfedale diamond 225.

Anyone specific you want to ask.. I am not too knowledgeable like some people here but I'll do my best.
Sounds like you had a great time with them which is nice to hear. Wasnt sure if they would be too powerful. May i ask what you replaced the amp with when you moved the behringer into the living room? Im also not too knowledgeable with the room mode stuff but ill figure that out i guess.
Aside from Behringer theres basically only the topping pa5 or smsl ao200 in that price range that im considering so ill have to try figure out which is actually best.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Sounds like you had a great time with them which is nice to hear. Wasnt sure if they would be too powerful. May i ask what you replaced the amp with when you moved the behringer into the living room? Im also not too knowledgeable with the room mode stuff but ill figure that out i guess.
Aside from Behringer theres basically only the topping pa5 or smsl ao200 in that price range that im considering so ill have to try figure out which is actually best.
The amp I bought to replace it was my auto birthday present, the end game for me: Boxem ARTHUR 4215/E2, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rifi-based-power-amplifiers.16674/post-867810 , much more expensive.

It shouldn't be in my main room because it is a small room (11m2)and the amp can give an enourmous amounts of watts I won't ever use in that room, but still I wanted something at would give more than 95dB at 5W , not that I would notice much difference, but still a nice place to stop looking for something better or in case I move my main room somewhere else, this one will go with me.

As for the Behringer, the fact that you can adjust gain with those volume knobs and it has no fans was an amazing deal for the price.

And for room modes, if your room is small, just crank up the volume to max levels you may end up hearing there, the frequencies that become annoying are the ones you usually have to tame, good to measure your room a bit with REW and see the crazy ups and downs there under 300hz, try making small adjustments, some others can give you better advice with this than me though, somehow I reached my sweet spot though.

RETSELDRIB

Hello all, just registered and my first post.

On the back of contacting three forum members who appear to be experiencing the same issue:

I am using two A800s to bi-amp my home stereo hifi via RCA outputs and am experiencing hum/ noise as I turn the gain controls up on both amps. Past 1 O’Clock the noise is too intrusive.
Q: Will balanced XLR leads sort the noise problem out?

I bought the two A800s from Thoman.de as an experiment with the view to going stereo 3 way active using a Behringers cx3400 crossover so would need to buy XLR cables regardless to do this ... but only if it sorted out the problem. Thomas seem to think that its a fault with both amps but after reading that others are experiencing similar issues then it seems that both amps being faulty is unlikely?

Many thanks for any help.

PS I of course have XLR out puts on my DAC/ Pre-Amp (Benchmark DAC2 HGC)

AndersP

Hello ASR:
I have 2 a800 for my Linkwitz Orion wofers. Works like a charm. I have nothing to complain about them used this way.
A buddy and I performed some listening tests comparing the a800 with his big Emotiva mono amps with broad band sounds without filters of any kind.
We knew whitch amp was playing the the whole session so no blind test. However we could hear a sharp and harsh sound on snare and cymbals not present with the monoblocks. All in all the 800 sounded like the 32 tone test made by Amir. Increasing distorsion with frequenzy. Upp to 200 hz it works great but then the distorsion starts increasing.
No rock solid conclusions in other words but then and there this is what we experienced. We played loud and used sounds notoriously difficultt for amps to transmit. We found the difference very hard to hear with ordinary pop and rock music at ordinary levels. The difficult sound was the metronome click in Pro Tools.

We are both very sensitive to fan noise so the passively cooled a800 is attractive.

So for 180 euro the amp is steel for woofers and so-so for the rest of audio frequencies. However the test being what it is, very unscientific, hard and fast conclusions may not be drawn. Having seen the distorsion measurements made by Amir in beforehand can very well have made us biased.

Nightyard

Hello all, just registered and my first post.

On the back of contacting three forum members who appear to be experiencing the same issue:

I am using two A800s to bi-amp my home stereo hifi via RCA outputs and am experiencing hum/ noise as I turn the gain controls up on both amps. Past 1 O’Clock the noise is too intrusive.
Q: Will balanced XLR leads sort the noise problem out?

I bought the two A800s from Thoman.de as an experiment with the view to going stereo 3 way active using a Behringers cx3400 crossover so would need to buy XLR cables regardless to do this ... but only if it sorted out the problem. Thomas seem to think that its a fault with both amps but after reading that others are experiencing similar issues then it seems that both amps being faulty is unlikely?

Many thanks for any help.

PS I of course have XLR out puts on my DAC/ Pre-Amp (Benchmark DAC2 HGC)

I have balanced connections and if i turn the gain dials past 2 oclock to max, i hear an increase in base noise coming from the tweeters on my kef 3160 and other speakers. Max ill set the gain on the behringer amps is 2oclock, which still has a small about of hiss coming from the speakers tweeters but very little. Its only audinle when putting ear right up to the speaker. At max gain, its very audible.

Pulkass

I have balanced connections and if i turn the gain dials past 2 oclock to max, i hear an increase in base noise coming from the tweeters on my kef 3160 and other speakers. Max ill set the gain on the behringer amps is 2oclock, which still has a small about of hiss coming from the speakers tweeters but very little. Its only audinle when putting ear right up to the speaker. At max gain, its very audible.
I have a multi amped system. Balanced pre : Topping pre 90, smsl balanced dac , Electronic X over, 3 Behringer A800. Bass-mid-highs. All connected via XLR cables. No noise whatsoever, volume pots are full on on bass and MIDs, two o clock on highs. Very silent system. I hate components noise. (!)

Pulkass

I have a multi amped system. Balanced pre : Topping pre 90, smsl balanced dac , Electronic X over, 3 Behringer A800. Bass-mid-highs. All connected via XLR cables. No noise whatsoever, volume pots are full on on bass and MIDs, two o clock on highs. Very silent system. I hate components noise. (!)
At the moment, I am using two A800 s in mono---left right channels--on a floorstander, passive x over inside. volume full to eleven, no noises.

Nightyard

I have 6 behringer a800 amps and every single one, even with no components plugged in, just the speaker, makes the same noise through the speaker's tweeters. Its just the amp itself. The reviewer mentions this also. It depends on the sensitivity of the speakers of course.

Pulkass

I have 6 behringer a800 amps and every single one, even with no components plugged in, just the speaker, makes the same noise through the speaker's tweeters. Its just the amp itself. The reviewer mentions this also. It depends on the sensitivity of the speakers of course.
Send them all back. Production numbers,?

backfisch321

when I want to use bi amping with two a800 I have to set them to mono bridge connect channel a to the woofer, channel b to the tweeter and just use the "a channel" right ?

Pulkass

No. You have to use two stereo configured a800s. Amp A goes to the woofers. Amp B goes to the tweeters.

backfisch321

Sure, one amp does left, tweeter and woofer, the other does right. In both cases, use the amps as two channel amps, not bridged.

S
when iam using a active crossover before the amps. do I need to remove the passive ones in my speaker or can they still be inside

Top Bottom