• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8331A Inputs

napfkuchen

Last year while looking for new computer speakers I also searched the ASR forum. My then-setup was a pair of Adam Artist 5 speakers, M-Audio M-Track Hub and Dirac Live on PC. ... Finally upgraded to a pair of Genelec 8331A and added a 7350A sub later. Although room acoustics are poor in my current listening-space GLM does a great job of covering it up.
But as working from home has become mandatory for me (and gas prices have been skyrocketing in Germany lately) and the Genelecs have to remain silent as they are not connected to my work-laptop I am wondering if there is a possibility to add another input to the speakers somehow. Preferrably I would like to connect my phone or tablet via 3,5mm-audio-jack. Hope you can help :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What input are you already using? If you use digital, then a simple 3.5mm to XLR will work. If you use analog, you can get a cheap switch box, or you can try using the digital input with some USB to AES converter.

MrSoul4470

You probably want some kind of "RCA input selector switch" to connect all your sources to your speakers. There are many available but I have no idea how good or bad they are.

OP
napfkuchen

napfkuchen

The current setup is:
Computer -> Yellowtec PUC2 lite -> AES out -> Genelec (AES in)

As there is only one input on the speakers which is already in use the "switch box" seems to be necessary. Also I am wondering how volume can be controlled for the 3,5mm-input.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah yes, it has one input that does both analog and digital. Chances are that a simple switch box still works fine. On one side input AES, on the other analog.

Volume control just via phone or PC. How do you do it now?

OP
napfkuchen

napfkuchen

Currently volume control is via PC only.
When connected to my phone / tablet volume control should be via these devices.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An adapter for your phone to USB-B would probably also just work.

What's not clear to me is: do you need to use these inputs connected at the same time? Or will you just change the plugs?

Last edited:
OP
napfkuchen

napfkuchen

I don't need the inputs at the same time. :)

OP
napfkuchen

napfkuchen

I'm not sure this will work. Input is 1x 3,5mm, output is 2x XLR. I need 2 inputs (xlr and 3,5mm) and one output (xlr).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
napfkuchen

napfkuchen

Ah, that's a good option - thank you :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Currently volume control is via PC only.
When connected to my phone / tablet volume control should be via these devices.

You are a brave man...

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a similar setup and I just use a cable matters USB switch/hub with remote. This keeps everything digital and it’s very easy to switch between 4 sources. So you can have a phone/tablet/PC/one other device and easily switch between them.

Also I use the GLM volume knob. I wouldn’t be too comfortable without it.

OP
napfkuchen

napfkuchen

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be clear, your setup is:
input(s) -> USB switch -> USB Soundcard -> Genelec?
Inputs -> USB switch -> DAC (in my case Topping D10B) -> Genelecs

You can use your Yellowtech in place of the Topping.

This one which even has a RF remote:

Cable Matters 4 Port USB 3.0 Switch Hub USB Sharing Switch for 4 Computers and USB Peripherals - Button or Wireless Remote Control Swapping - Includes a USB-C Adapter for USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083JKDNRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y0BZY52443AFDBR5FBAQ

EDIT: yes a dac is a usb sound card I suppose. I associate soundcard more with sound blaster and gaming stuff but it is basically the same thing.

OP
napfkuchen

napfkuchen

Thanks for the quick reply, that's a convenient solution. :)
However, yesterday a Yamaha WXC-50 arrived:
IMG_20220322_061625.jpg

So I'm going for: inputs -> Yamaha -> Genelec
This adds bluetooth streaming as another input option and digital volume control. But as you also have the Genelec volume knob you don't need that.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my USB inputs is a Blusound Node which gives me HDMI, Bluetooth, Airplay2, optical or analog in. The player has digital volume but again in the app and some dumb touchscreen thing on the top. There is no nice volume knob.

The Node is unique thus far in having a USB output. However I think that uses the port which could have a connected HDD. So you can’t have both.

Top Bottom