• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wanted: AVRs center channel and DSP measurements

Blender

I bought my AVR after doing a lot of research online, including the measurements done here at ASR. I really appreciate the work done on these measurements and the publishing of the results.

Having owned my AVR for a while, I’m struck by how differently I use my AVR from how AVR performance is measured. I run 3.1 and maybe soon 5.1. In terms of % of use, the most important issue is clarity of dialogue from the center channel. Because AVRs are reviewed primarily on front left/right performance, it makes sense for manufacturers to optimize FL/FR and save money on the other channels. I think that is a great trade-off for surround channels, but not for the center. It would be great if reviews could verify that center channel performance is equal to FL/FR, both when bypassing the amps (using pre-outs) and when using the amps (direct speaker connection).

Because dialog clarity is so important, it makes sense to try to use the AVR’s dialogue enhancement features, when available. This requires DSP processing. Similarly, I can’t watch TV or movies after 9pm in my house without dynamic volume, which is another DSP feature. Finally, one of the major reasons to get an AVR is the room correction, which again requires DSP. But, AVR performance reviews tend to focus on performance when DSP is bypassed. It would be great if reviews could present the performance figures also with DSP enabled, but with all the effects set to neutral/0 to the extent possible.

I understand that what I’m asking for here is a doubling or so of the work to review an AVR. OTOH this would make the performance figures a lot more relevant to more people, so it’s worth finding a way to make it practical to do.

MLaranjeiras

I have a large Klipsch center Channel speaker and It works fantastic on my HT. Good part of the soundtrack comes via the center Channel. What is your concern about?

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because AVRs are reviewed primarily on front left/right performance, it makes sense for manufacturers to optimize FL/FR and save money on the other channels.

I don't actually believe this happens in practice. Whenever I have seen anything measured, performance is generally consistent across channels. I think manufacturers favour the simplicity of making all channels identical.

Multichannel performance often sags simply due to channel count+load, but channels themselves seem not to differ.

OP
B

Blender

I don't actually believe this happens in practice. Whenever I have seen anything measured, performance is generally consistent across channels. I think manufacturers favour the simplicity of making all channels identical.

Recent Yamaha AVRs have been reported to have worse center channel performance. Maybe that wasn’t intended and it’s a bug, but that’s exactly the kind of info that’s useful to know.
Multichannel performance often sags simply due to channel count+load, but channels themselves seem not to differ.
Yes, and I’d love to see tests where all three LCR channels are connected and in use.

Yamaha claims that they physically separated the Left and Right channels on their newest AVRS at opposite ends of the AVR, to minimize how much they interfere with each other and disperse heat generation. Whereas Denon seems to have LRC next to each other at one end of the AVR, which seems likely to cause heat and electronic issues. I can see how the layout of the electronics could really matter for somebody doing 3.1/5.1 on a receiver with several other unused channels between the active ones, and it would be useful to see see this hypothesis verified or refuted.

Top Bottom