• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum Audio Verum 1 Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 87 45.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 71 36.8%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Verum Audio Verum One (1) headphone. It was kindly ordered by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $349.
Verum Audio Verum 1 Review Planar Magnetic Headphone.jpg

Verum is a one-person DIY originated design and company. There is controversy around the owner which you can read here. Please don't comment on it in this thread. Company is located in Ukraine sadly.

It has a custom look which belies its low cost.

The headphone is large but somehow doesn't seem heavy despite its weight:

Lightest planar magnetic headphone review.png

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the measurement fixture was easy.

Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:
Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements Frequency Response Planar Magnetic Headphone.png

I was impressed by the exact channel matching. Compliance is good for reasonable range in audio band. Bass as is the case with many headphones, doesn't rise up to our preference target. There is also shortfall of energy between 1.5 and 7 kHz. In relative terms, it looks like this:
Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements Relative Frequency Response Planar Magnetic Headphone.png

There is almost no distortion at 94 dBSPL across the full frequency band (blue):
Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements Relative Distortion THD Planar Magnetic Headphone.png

But then we get narrow spikes in mid frequencies which tend to suggest resonances. We can see correlation with this (a weak one) in group delay:

Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements Group Delay Planar Magnetic Headphone.png

Here is our distortion in absolute levels:

Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements Distortion THD Planar Magnetic Headphone.png

Impedance is flat but exceptionally low:

Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements Impedance Planar Magnetic Headphone.png

Fortunately this is counteracted with very high sensitivity:
Most efficient high end headphone reviewed.png

Verum One Listening Tests and Equalization
Out of box response is good with nothing that would be bothersome at all. On female vocals, I found it very acceptable as there is not a lot of bass in those tracks. As usual though, I like to use EQ to get close to our target:

Verum Audio Verum 1 Equalization EQ Filter Parametric Roon Planar Magnetic Headphone.png

Spatial qualities and naturally bass response improved now. Detail was excellent and overall experience very enjoyable.

I tried to tease out the mid frequency distortion but I could not. Bass response was so strong at high volumes that I feared for my ears. :) My RME ADI-2 DAC had no trouble pushing this headphone even at -10 to -15 dB.

Conclusions
I can't fathom how a single person could design and manufacture these headphones yet sell them for just $349. Response out of box is good enough that you could use them if you have no EQ ability. With EQ, their performance rises to quite a high level, putting a smile on my face.

I am going to recommend the Verum One headphone without EQ and strongly so with EQ.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Verum Audio Verum 1.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Preamp: -8.2 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 8.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 6700 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 5.0
Filter 4: ON LS Fc 74 Hz Gain 6.1 dB Q 0.68

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
119dB/V is indeed high for a planar.
The 6.6 ohm is a bit on the low side.
A possible downside that some portable devices may not have 150mA output current capabilities to reach the 1V.
Another possible issue is that the cable resistance can start to play a role.

I hope Igor (@Garuspik) addressed the failing drivers and channel imbalance (some drivers became higher impedance, possibly a poor contact inside) and some tinkering with pads he made.
It always kept me from buying one.
Good effort. He planned to launch a Verum-2 and wanted to make a higher resistance version but it seems only the Verum-1 is available.
Lots of talk on SBAF from the early days. He was well liked until the incident there mentioned in the OP.

It was born out of a kickstarter project end 2018 but had been tinkering on it from 2016.
Now we have HE400SE for half the price of the Verum-1 but in 2018 only T50RP were low in price.
The guy on the picture isn't Igor b.t.w. :)

Also measured by Oratory and Crinacle

Last edited:

Suppa92

Thanks for the great review as always :)
As you mentioned these are extremely easy to drive. I using mine with JDS Atom+ Stack & I don't have to run higher than 9 o'clock in low gain to drive these to extremely loud levels.

But I received an email from the manufacturer recommending a high current amp (maybe a speaker amp) to get the very best out of these.
I think some users also claim that's true.

Is it true in technical standpoint? just because it gets loud enough with low current doesn't mean it sounds the best with low current?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it true in technical standpoint? just because it get loud enough with low current doesn't mean it sounds the best with low current?
If it gets loud enough and you are not hearing distortion, then you are good to go. Unlike voltage, current is used as needed.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Might be due to QC or sample variation, but I have seen the Verum One mk2 measured very similar to the HD650. If I am not mistaken woodenears.com uses B&K4128 though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 11.45.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 11.45.31 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 340

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Differences here and there of 3 to 5dB can not sound 'very similar' though.
Just play around with a graphic equalizer in the same bands and amplitudes and you may notice how different the sound is.

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Verum Audio Verum One (1) headphone. It was kindly ordered by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $349.
View attachment 190699
Verum is a one-person DIY originated design and company. There is controversy around the owner which you can read here. Please don't comment on it in this thread. Company is located in Ukraine sadly.

It has a custom look which belies its low cost.

The headphone is large but somehow doesn't seem heavy despite its weight:

View attachment 190700

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the measurement fixture was easy.

Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:
View attachment 190701

I was impressed by the exact channel matching. Compliance is good for reasonable range in audio band. Bass as is the case with many headphones, doesn't rise up to our preference target. There is also shortfall of energy between 1.5 and 7 kHz. In relative terms, it looks like this:
View attachment 190702

There is almost no distortion at 94 dBSPL across the full frequency band (blue):
View attachment 190703

But then we get narrow spikes in mid frequencies which tend to suggest resonances. We can see correlation with this (a weak one) in group delay:

View attachment 190704

Here is our distortion in absolute levels:

View attachment 190705

Impedance is flat but exceptionally low:

View attachment 190706

Fortunately this is counteracted with very high sensitivity:
View attachment 190707

Verum One Listening Tests and Equalization
Out of box response is good with nothing that would be bothersome at all. On female vocals, I found it very acceptable as there is not a lot of bass in those tracks. As usual though, I like to use EQ to get close to our target:

View attachment 190709
Spatial qualities and naturally bass response improved now. Detail was excellent and overall experience very enjoyable.

I tried to tease out the mid frequency distortion but I could not. Bass response was so strong at high volumes that I feared for my ears. :) My RME ADI-2 DAC had no trouble pushing this headphone even at -10 to -15 dB.

Conclusions
I can't fathom how a single person could design and manufacture these headphones yet sell them for just $349. Response out of box is good enough that you could use them if you have no EQ ability. With EQ, their performance rises to quite a high level, putting a smile on my face.

I am going to recommend the Verum One headphone without EQ and strongly so with EQ.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Very respectable, though sadly not likely to hit the wider market any time soon.
Performance puts some established companies to shame IMHO.
When I first saw it, I expected at least 3 times the price.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought some of these years ago after hearing them at a Scalford show. They took about 5 months from order to arrive. I listened to them immediately after some £3 grand ones and felt the timbre of piano was better on these.

Edit: I think, looking at pictures, the expensive but less good 'phones were the HiFiman HE1000

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I love this hobby.. one guy says the verum one are better than the HE1000... Next guy says they are not better than the Sundara.

Manufacturer says "you can drive these with a smartphone" and yet I'm reading a post where someone says the Singxer SA1 can't drive these in high gain.

Suppa92

The Hifiman Sundara is easily the better planar headphone for this price range. I honestly don't see what makes this headphone 'Great'. It's a fine to not terrible imo.
have you listened to the both of them?
imho, I find sundaras very thin sounding and bit metallic like...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love this hobby.. one guy says the verum one are better than the HE1000... Next guy says they are not better than the Sundara.

Manufacturer says "you can drive these with a smartphone" and yet I'm reading a post where someone says the Singxer SA1 can't drive these in high gain.
My comment was because I have actually compared the two on my own piano recording and the Verum had more convincing timbre than the expensive one.
I was not speculating wildly based on zero experience.

They worked fine with my old iPad too but the new one has no headphone socket and I haven't tried it.
They are fine with my laptop.

OTOH I wouldn't recommend purchase, personally.
The delay and delivery were rubbish and my order for different ear pads was never fulfilled, and that was years before Russia invaded Ukraine.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
OTOH I wouldn't recommend purchase, personally.
The delay and delivery were rubbish and my order for different ear pads was never fulfilled, and that was years before Russia invaded Ukraine.

I doubt I would ever purchase something in that price range anyway. Same like sundara , HD660.

It was just a observation how widely different opinions are. It's no surprise everything that gets reviewed is at the same time amazing and not good at all.

F1308

Major Contributor
The Hifiman Sundara is easily the better planar headphone for this price range. I honestly don't see what makes this headphone 'Great'. It's a fine to not terrible imo.
After attending some reviews, I find the Sundara a bit bright and the Verum 1 very neutral indeed.
Hope a closed back is released soon.

Congratulations to the maker.
And peace in the World.

Top Bottom