• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody using an RME ADI2 with an minidsp SHD?

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

I currently use a minidsp SHD as a DAC/Pre/source selector for my Genelec 8341's and dual subs.
I used to own an RME ADI-2 FS v1 and foolishly sold it not realising its potential.
The main thing I miss about the ADI-2 is its ability to add "loudness" automatically as well as a number of other clever tricks it has up its sleeve.

Would it be possible to use an ADI-2 in this way in conjunction with my SHD?
If so, how would I connect it up?
Would the RME become the preamp with the SHD set to 0db as just a DAC/DSP.

Obviously the RME (as far as I'm aware) doesn't have an AES/EBU out which would be a downside as I would have to feed my Genelecs with an analogue signal which adds further AD/DA conversions to the chain but if it's possible, I'll consider it.

I've heard if people doing this but is it practical to do so and would there be any benefits.

Any comments good or bad are welcome.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously the RME (as far as I'm aware) doesn't have an AES/EBU out

The DAC version doesn't, but the Pro does.

Get that on if you don't mind spending the extra cash.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
The DAC version doesn't, but the Pro does.

Get that on if you don't mind spending the extra cash.
Hmmmm. I looked at that but only saw an AE3 that looks like an old DVI interface for a computer. I'm guessing there's an adapter required?

rbachl

Hmmmm. I looked at that but only saw an AE3 that looks like an old DVI interface for a computer. I'm guessing there's an adapter required?
From the ADI-2 pro manual:
1646424067072.png

In one setup that I am using, I have the ADI-2 pro connected to miniDSP Flex through SPDIF.
That allows me to use features such as Bass/Treble/Loudness/Crossfeed from ADI-2 pro and the equalization and crossover from miniDSP Flex.
When tuning equalization with REW, a combination of the ADI-2 pro filters and miniDSP filters can also be used.
However, when tuning equalization with Dirac Live, the measurement signal originates in the miniDSP device and therefore using additionally the ADI-2 pro filters is not possible.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
From the ADI-2 pro manual:
View attachment 190400

In one setup that I am using, I have the ADI-2 pro connected to miniDSP Flex through SPDIF.
That allows me to use features such as Bass/Treble/Loudness/Crossfeed from ADI-2 pro and the equalization and crossover from miniDSP Flex.
When tuning equalization with REW, a combination of the ADI-2 pro filters and miniDSP filters can also be used.
However, when tuning equalization with Dirac Live, the measurement signal originates in the miniDSP device and therefore using additionally the ADI-2 pro filters is not possible.
Oh wow. This is really interesting! So you're using the RME as pre-amp (what are your speakers/amps?) which allows you to still have all the functionality of the SHD with no drawbacks! I didn't realise you could do such a thing to such an extent!

I don't use DIRAC as I much prefer the GLM software for the speakers and REW with PEQ for my subs so that ticks one box.

So in your scenario, the Flex is set to 0db and is used for source selection/crossover/PEQ and you're using the RME for volume control/loudness/Bass/Treble/Crossfeed.

What is your subjective opinion on using the RME with the Flex? Do you feel an improvement is made?

rbachl

The ADI-2 pro is the pre-amp and it is also used for source selection.
miniDSP Flex is used as crossover, equalizer and DAC.
Topping PA5 is the amplifier for the Elac DBR62 speakers.
Active subwoofer connected to Flex.

Since Topping PA5 can switch between two different sources,
I can alternatively also use the ADI-2 pro as a DAC,
and omit miniDSP Flex in the signal path.
In that case, the 3/4 channels of ADI-2 pro are
connected to the subwoofer with a switch.

By switching between these two scenarios, I can compare
1) ADI-2 pro (digital pre-amp) + Flex(crossover, equalization, DAC) with
2) ADI-2 pro (digital pre-amp, crossover, equalization with lower number of PEQ filters, DAC)

In my case, Flex is making a big improvement after fine-tuning the delays and the equalization filters.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
The ADI-2 pro is the pre-amp and it is also used for source selection.
miniDSP Flex is used as crossover, equalizer and DAC.
Topping PA5 is the amplifier for the Elac DBR62 speakers.
Active subwoofer connected to Flex.

Since Topping PA5 can switch between two different sources,
I can alternatively also use the ADI-2 pro as a DAC,
and omit miniDSP Flex in the signal path.
In that case, the 3/4 channels of ADI-2 pro are
connected to the subwoofer with a switch.

By switching between these two scenarios, I can compare
1) ADI-2 pro (digital pre-amp) + Flex(crossover, equalization, DAC) with
2) ADI-2 pro (digital pre-amp, crossover, equalization with lower number of PEQ filters, DAC)

In my case, Flex is making a big improvement after fine-tuning the delays and the equalization filters.

How would I connect my Genelecs/RME PRO/SHD up in this scenario?

rbachl

How would I connect my Genelecs/RME PRO/SHD up in this scenario?
RME ADI-2 pro(SPDIF or TOSlink output) -> SHD(analog XLR output channel 1,2) -> Genelec
SHD(analog output channel 3,4) -> Subwoofer

It seems that the Genelec speakers also have a digital input, but DAC from SHD is probably performing better.

Top Bottom