• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark aeon noire?

radix

Major Contributor
Thank you. That’s not strictly speaking the usage I want, I listen almost exclusively in bed or at the computer. I am not using these kinds of headphones on the go but I’d rather not have a mains-powered DAC/amp.

Plus, I use my iPad (USB-C) as signal generator, so I am probably very limited in the selection of compatible devices. I will investigate a bit but it looks like I will return these Noires, if that’s an option. While the Onyx doesn’t audibly distort, it probably doesn’t do them justice and perhaps that’s where the lack of bass comes from.

I've had good experiences with Dan Clark as far as returning. They do have a restocking fee.

I think with low impedance headphones, it's current limited. But that's getting a bit beyond my wheelhouse.

What is wrong with the ath-m50x?

I also have the DT-770 Pro (250 ohm), which I find sound pretty darn good for the price and are very comfortable. They have extra large ear pads, though they are not as deep as the Noire and the tips of my ears do sometimes hit. They also come in lower impedance versions that would be more dongle-friendly.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had good experiences with Dan Clark as far as returning. They do have a restocking fee.

I think with low impedance headphones, it's current limited. But that's getting a bit beyond my wheelhouse.

What is wrong with the ath-m50x?

I also have the DT-770 Pro (250 ohm), which I find sound pretty darn good for the price and are very comfortable. They have extra large ear pads, though they are not as deep as the Noire and the tips of my ears do sometimes hit. They also come in lower impedance versions that would be more dongle-friendly.
I ordered from the only Swiss distributor and they don’t actually accept returns, I just checked… Swiss e-commerce :)

There’s nothing wrong with the ATH50s but I wanted an upgrade. Clearly, the Noires are a substantial upgrade in soundstage.

This ifi xDSD Gryphon is available but quite pricey, and it does require separate power. Not sure I want to spend another 640 on it. Reminds me of someone I know who won a box of floppy disks in a programming contest (a long time ago) and convinced his parents to get him a PC, so he could use them.

Singxer isn’t available here but this wouldn’t be the kind of product for my use case.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I ordered from the only Swiss distributor and they don’t actually accept returns, I just checked… Swiss e-commerce :)

There’s nothing wrong with the ATH50s but I wanted an upgrade. Clearly, the Noires are a substantial upgrade in soundstage.

This ifi xDSD Gryphon is available but quite pricey, and it does require separate power. Not sure I want to spend another 640 on it. Reminds me of someone I know who won a box of floppy disks in a programming contest (a long time ago) and convinced his parents to get him a PC, so he could use them.

Singxer isn’t available here but this wouldn’t be the kind of product for my use case.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
Singxer SA-1 , Gustard H16, topping A90, smsl SP400

You can get plenty of these amps from Germany (Amazon, clear-comoponents) or from France (audiophonics).

symphara

Singxer SA-1 , Gustard H16, topping A90, smsl SP400

You can get plenty of these amps from Germany (Amazon, clear-comoponents) or from France (audiophonics).
Would you believe it, amazon.de does not generally deliver to us! Right now I’m having trouble sourcing balanced cables for these headphones. It looks like there’s not that much point getting a portable DAC/amp such as the Gryphon without having balanced cables.

radix

Major Contributor
There’s nothing wrong with the ATH50s but I wanted an upgrade.

Do you use EQ on the ATH50? It can make a big difference in the sound.

There have been a few posts recently in other threads about calculating the needed power for a headphone. Some of those sites also seem to recommend appropriate amps. If you search for something like "headphone power" on this site, you should find them.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Would you believe it, amazon.de does not generally deliver to us! Right now I’m having trouble sourcing balanced cables for these headphones. It looks like there’s not that much point getting a portable DAC/amp such as the Gryphon without having balanced cables.

Balanced cables from the UK/US but they will probably coast you 140-180€ if you need 3 meters.

My noire came with a balanced cable and I just purchased a 1 meter long extension cord for like 30€

Last edited:

symphara

Balanced cables from the UK/US but they will probably coat you 140-180€ if you need 3 meters.

My noire came with a balanced cable and I just purchased a 1 meter long extension cord for like 30€
Do the Noires have proprietary cables, with these 4 pin connectors? I found 4.4mm headphone XLR cables here but they've got only 3 pins as far as I can see from the pictures. I'm actually confused about the 4 pin thing.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Do the Noires have proprietary cables, with these 4 pin connectors? I found 4.4mm headphone XLR cables here but they've got only 3 pins as far as I can see from the pictures. I'm actually confused about the 4 pin thing.
No idea if they are exclusive to Dan Clark but they are not the same mini XLR that other brands use.

radix

Major Contributor

On the headphones, they use these connectors. The 4-pin XLR is standard, I believe.

markanini

Major Contributor
AKG K371 are super satisfying for electronic music. Knock on wood that you don't have fit issues.

symphara

Got a Gryphon delivered! Hooked the Noires to the Gryphon, bass improves but only with the "XBass" function. Otherwise bass is still anemic to me.

I still need to crank them up quite a lot, but this isn't surprising since I am still on the 3.5mm cable and the amp doesn't actually put that much more power on this output.

I ordered the 4.4mm balanced cable but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping that will give breathing space, based on the specs.

I'm surprised there's a clicking noise when adjusting the volume on the Gryphon. Is this intentional? Otherwise it sounds clean and it's fairly adjustable.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Got a Gryphon delivered! Hooked the Noires to the Gryphon, bass improves but only with the "XBass" function. Otherwise bass is still anemic to me.

I still need to crank them up quite a lot, but this isn't surprising since I am still on the 3.5mm cable and the amp doesn't actually put that much more power on this output.

I ordered the 4.4mm balanced cable but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping that will give breathing space, based on the specs.

I'm surprised there's a clicking noise when adjusting the volume on the Gryphon. Is this intentional? Otherwise it sounds clean and it's fairly adjustable.

Clicking noise is probably due to the analog volume control.

I would definitely run the amp balanced for the noire

Anemic bass is something that doesn't come to my mind when using the noire.

Maybe you would prefer fosex headphones

symphara

Clicking noise is probably due to the analog volume control.

I would definitely run the amp balanced for the noire

Anemic bass is something that doesn't come to my mind when using the noire.

Maybe you would prefer fosex headphones
It's fine with this "XBass" enabled, I'm nearly there. Why should an analog volume control make clicking noises?

symphara

Some have a clicking noise. (Fluxlabs for example )
The clicking noise is sometimes there, sometimes not... I love the consistency of these products! Otherwise, the Gryphon seems ok, functionality wise it's perfect for me, especially since it can draw power directly from the iPad. I'm just finding the 4.4mm socket a bit finnicky and I wonder if it will eventually break.

With the balanced cable, it can go a little louder but it didn't make that much of a difference. I don't think it was worth the cost.

In general I like the Noires - low distortion, very expansive sound field which is really nice. Bass is tight but just doesn't go deep, this much is crystal clear. Put on the first track of Yello/Touch and they really struggle, low bass is not there and it doesn't sound right. And this is with the XBass EQ on, which does make a difference.

So tonally I think the ATH50 (specifically, mine are ATH-M50xBT) are better and I don't find them bass heavy, they have a bit more bass overall but very importantly, the bass goes lower. However the general presentation of the Noire is better and particularly much more expansive.

One thing I really don't like about the Noire is that I have to adjust the headband every single time I use them. The plastic sliders are a bit too loose. Should I try to tighten those screws? I don't want to damage the leather strap.

Metronomy

You could always get a more powerful portable DAC/amp.. something like the ifi xDSD gryphon.

I drive my noire with a Singxer SA1 . Sounds beautiful. Can't complain about a lack of bass.
I have the Gryphon, I tried that DC model with a Focal amplifier, the one they combine with their headphones, in my opinion with the Gryphon you are a bit pulled with the power, it gave me the impression that it is a headset that needs a lot of energy, even if it does not use it all, in the end the required.

JanesJr1

The clicking noise is sometimes there, sometimes not... I love the consistency of these products! Otherwise, the Gryphon seems ok, functionality wise it's perfect for me, especially since it can draw power directly from the iPad. I'm just finding the 4.4mm socket a bit finnicky and I wonder if it will eventually break.

With the balanced cable, it can go a little louder but it didn't make that much of a difference. I don't think it was worth the cost.

In general I like the Noires - low distortion, very expansive sound field which is really nice. Bass is tight but just doesn't go deep, this much is crystal clear. Put on the first track of Yello/Touch and they really struggle, low bass is not there and it doesn't sound right. And this is with the XBass EQ on, which does make a difference.

So tonally I think the ATH50 (specifically, mine are ATH-M50xBT) are better and I don't find them bass heavy, they have a bit more bass overall but very importantly, the bass goes lower. However the general presentation of the Noire is better and particularly much more expansive.

One thing I really don't like about the Noire is that I have to adjust the headband every single time I use them. The plastic sliders are a bit too loose. Should I try to tighten those screws? I don't want to damage the leather strap.
Yes, I tighten the screws and the strap sliders stay put.

The weak bass perception mystifies me. The bass on my Noires and Drop/DCA Closed X cans (the latter EQ'd) is spectacular: deep, down to sub-bass; clean and undistorted. Look at the EQ's from Oratory or Crinacle. With a decent amp and close earpad-fit, these are pinnacle bass drivers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom