• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp & DAC Review

adg

Forum Donor
In case anyone is planning on ordering an Asgard 3, it's worth noting Schiit recently replaced the volume knob on the unit. If you go to the Schiit Asgard 3 product page, the pictures still show the old knob. The new knob seems to be plastic vs metal, is matte, and has a line carved into the edge instead of the usual dot you see on Schiit products. I think the old knob is much nicer looking.

wolf_walker

I got one of the new DAC cards the other day, replaced my Topping D10S I'd been using. Nice little all in one for sure.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
In case anyone is planning on ordering an Asgard 3, it's worth noting Schiit recently replaced the volume knob on the unit. If you go to the Schiit Asgard 3 product page, the pictures still show the old knob. The new knob seems to be plastic vs metal, is matte, and has a line carved into the edge instead of the usual dot you see on Schiit products. I think the old knob is much nicer looking.
I can very much assure you, the new knob is solid aluminum. We liked the new knob but we certainly wouldn't change it for a plastic replacement.

Jj_chandy

I'm considering the Asgard 3, any pics of the new knob that you can share? I've been trying to find pics online and I'm coming up short

Reactions: adg

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm considering the Asgard 3, any pics of the new knob that you can share? I've been trying to find pics online and I'm coming up short
Yes, hopefully schiit will post here pics of the new knob, knob on wood and I suppose the knob size will be the same as the old? Comparison old and new would be nice.

threni

Major Contributor
Yes, hopefully schiit will post here pics of the new knob, knob on wood and I suppose the knob size will be the same as the old? Comparison old and new would be nice.
Not sure what consumer laws are like in the US but if you sell something by description (ie photo on a website) and get something else then in the UK at least that's not good. I'm trying to think of a compelling reason to not show the product online. Perhaps the new knob really does look like plastic!

Last edited:

adg

Forum Donor
Here is a picture of my knob versus the original knob.

asgard-knobs.png

I can very much assure you, the new knob is solid aluminum. We liked the new knob but we certainly wouldn't change it for a plastic replacement.
I wasn't sure if the knob was metal based on the finish of the new knob, and tapping on it with my finger, but per your confirmation and also now trying to tap a piece of metal on the knob, it is indeed metal.

I have one in the office. I'll snap a picture of it for you Monday morning.

Had no idea the tumult a knob would cause.
I think the issue for me is that the original knob seems higher end to me, and it is still the knob pictured on the product page I ordered from.

Many people might not care about the different knob, but I think between going from the shiny, metal looking knob with the Schiit-style little dot/dimple level indicator, to a matte, almost painted looking knob with a diagonal slit, the change isn't a welcome one to me. I understand there are sourcing and logistics issues galore, but I think Schiit should call out the change on the product pages of affected products, at least until new imagery can be put online (which I know can be a pain to get, especially just for a single cosmetic change). Or, it would be nice if Schiit could try to get the old style knobs, even if it will take a while, for any customers who are bothered by this unexpected change.

Some of us do get caught up in aesthetics/fine details. If you look at my few posts on ASR about a variety of products, many of them aren't really about audio quality, but are focused more on aesthetics, materials, product ergonomics, and my priority for products made in countries with high living standards. I am not an audio science expert, and more of an aspirational audiophile, and thanks to great reviewers and communities like ASR, any of the audio gear I purchase meets certain minimum audio spec requirements. We're also living in a time of reasonably-priced, high-performing audio gear, and that leaves opportunity for people to choose gear based on non-audio characteristics, and for supporting companies with great customer service.

Jj_chandy

Thank you for the pictures, I much prefer the older design. I had the older Asgard 3 paired with the modius and loved how the Asgard looked with that knob.

Reactions: adg

threni

Major Contributor

View attachment 189800

I wasn't sure if the knob was metal based on the finish of the new knob, and tapping on it with my finger, but per your confirmation and also now trying to tap a piece of metal on the knob, it is indeed metal.

I think the issue for me is that the original knob seems higher end to me, and it is still the knob pictured on the product page I ordered from.

Many people might not care about the different knob, but I think between going from the shiny, metal looking knob with the Schiit-style little dot/dimple level indicator, to a matte, almost painted looking knob with a diagonal slit, the change isn't a welcome one to me. I understand there are sourcing and logistics issues galore, but I think Schiit should call out the change on the product pages of affected products, at least until new imagery can be put online (which I know can be a pain to get, especially just for a single cosmetic change). Or, it would be nice if Schiit could try to get the old style knobs, even if it will take a while, for any customers who are bothered by this unexpected change.

Some of us do get caught up in aesthetics/fine details. If you look at my few posts on ASR about a variety of products, many of them aren't really about audio quality, but are focused more on aesthetics, materials, product ergonomics, and my priority for products made in countries with high living standards. I am not an audio science expert, and more of an aspirational audiophile, and thanks to great reviewers and communities like ASR, any of the audio gear I purchase meets certain minimum audio spec requirements. We're also living in a time of reasonably-priced, high-performing audio gear, and that leaves opportunity for people to choose gear based on non-audio characteristics, and for supporting companies with great customer service.
I'm not really big on aesthetics, but that new knob looks really cheap and tacky. I can see why one might think it was plastic.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

View attachment 189800

Thanks for getting those photos up before I did. Monday was hellacious. I think all of your criticism is valid. A few things:

1. Aesthetics are subjective. What we consider a positive change may not always be received that way. I can assure you we chose the design because we preferred it to the old one.

2. The perceived "quality" of the other knob is simply the finish. These are exactly the same sort of the finishing. One is bead blasted and the other is not. Same material, same manufacturer.

3. The shiny knob's durability. This is more of a business decision but those damn shiny knobs mark soooo easily. The rejection rate ids extraordinarily high and was a common complaint. Us moving to a more durable and less likely to scar piece WAS a response to customer issues.

Sorry you guys have been disappointed in the knob. We are currently arranging new photography for some upcoming units and I will make sure the photos are updated accordingly.

I will also work on getting a few more of the old knobs in case we have a few more un satisfied customers.

adg

Forum Donor
Thanks for getting those photos up before I did. Monday was hellacious. I think all of your criticism is valid. A few things:

1. Aesthetics are subjective. What we consider a positive change may not always be received that way. I can assure you we chose the design because we preferred it to the old one.

2. The perceived "quality" of the other knob is simply the finish. These are exactly the same sort of the finishing. One is bead blasted and the other is not. Same material, same manufacturer.

3. The shiny knob's durability. This is more of a business decision but those damn shiny knobs mark soooo easily. The rejection rate ids extraordinarily high and was a common complaint. Us moving to a more durable and less likely to scar piece WAS a response to customer issues.

Sorry you guys have been disappointed in the knob. We are currently arranging new photography for some upcoming units and I will make sure the photos are updated accordingly.

I will also work on getting a few more of the old knobs in case we have a few more un satisfied customers.
Thanks for the background and explanation regarding the new knobs.

Aesthetics are subjective, and hopefully for the majority of Schiit customers receiving products with the new (and at least for now, potentially unexpected) knob prefer it, or are indifferent.

Regarding the perceived quality of the knob, I think the volume indicator line itself (and not the matte finish of the knob) is partially what makes the new knob look lower end to me. To me, it looks like a saw blade was just pressed into the edge of the knob at an angle. While the new knob might in reality be as high of quality as the old one, and have fewer production and long-term durability issues, I still prefer the original appearance. Admittedly, I'm kind of a knob snob/enthusiast. I used to use an Emotiva Control Freak for my computer set up, which while not the most aesthetically pleasing, allowed me to have a detached, burly, smooth and grippy volume knob right next to my keyboard. Prior to purchasing my Asgard 3, I was using a JDS El Amp II. In addition to having good audio performance, that product is known for it's attractiveness, and large, metal volume control knob.

All of that said, the new knob isn't offensive or terrible, just not as nice to me, and not an unexpected upgrade. Also, without having the old knob in hand, I can't speak to if the old finish made the knob any more pleasant to actually use. I believe there are other designs that could exist between the original knob design and the new one, but with the new knob being out in the wild, I suspect that is the knob that's going to be around for a while. I don't know if a majority of people would agree with my preference or Schiit's, but I suspect most people aren't going to care enough to not buy a Schiit product even if they agree with me.

Finally, I received my Asgard 3 on February 25th, 2022. Upon receiving a shipment notification for the product, and also realizing I might not get the original knob design, I contacted Schiit support to ask if I could get an old-style knob. I said I would even be open to one pulled from a B-stock product. The support representative who replied said "Unfortunately, we are currently out the old style knobs and it is unknown if we will ever receive them again. All our current inventory has the new style knob. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience."

Do you know if getting an old-style knob is possible, and if so, can I receive one? Or is my only choice to decide whether to keep the Asgard 3 as is or return it? I feel like the best customer service outcome here would be to get some knobs for customers who do contact Schiit, and to get updated product photography (or at least a heads up on certain product pages) as soon as possible. That is, unless I'm truly a VERY vocal minority.

Jj_chandy

If I were to order an asgard 3 with an ess module, would it be possible to get one with the old knob? I personally really dislike the new knob and would buy if I can get the old one.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Thanks for the background and explanation regarding the new knobs.

Aesthetics are subjective, and hopefully for the majority of Schiit customers receiving products with the new (and at least for now, potentially unexpected) knob prefer it, or are indifferent.

Regarding the perceived quality of the knob, I think the volume indicator line itself (and not the matte finish of the knob) is partially what makes the new knob look lower end to me. To me, it looks like a saw blade was just pressed into the edge of the knob at an angle. While the new knob might in reality be as high of quality as the old one, and have fewer production and long-term durability issues, I still prefer the original appearance. Admittedly, I'm kind of a knob snob/enthusiast. I used to use an Emotiva Control Freak for my computer set up, which while not the most aesthetically pleasing, allowed me to have a detached, burly, smooth and grippy volume knob right next to my keyboard. Prior to purchasing my Asgard 3, I was using a JDS El Amp II. In addition to having good audio performance, that product is known for it's attractiveness, and large, metal volume control knob.

All of that said, the new knob isn't offensive or terrible, just not as nice to me, and not an unexpected upgrade. Also, without having the old knob in hand, I can't speak to if the old finish made the knob any more pleasant to actually use. I believe there are other designs that could exist between the original knob design and the new one, but with the new knob being out in the wild, I suspect that is the knob that's going to be around for a while. I don't know if a majority of people would agree with my preference or Schiit's, but I suspect most people aren't going to care enough to not buy a Schiit product even if they agree with me.

Finally, I received my Asgard 3 on February 25th, 2022. Upon receiving a shipment notification for the product, and also realizing I might not get the original knob design, I contacted Schiit support to ask if I could get an old-style knob. I said I would even be open to one pulled from a B-stock product. The support representative who replied said "Unfortunately, we are currently out the old style knobs and it is unknown if we will ever receive them again. All our current inventory has the new style knob. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience."

Do you know if getting an old-style knob is possible, and if so, can I receive one? Or is my only choice to decide whether to keep the Asgard 3 as is or return it? I feel like the best customer service outcome here would be to get some knobs for customers who do contact Schiit, and to get updated product photography (or at least a heads up on certain product pages) as soon as possible. That is, unless I'm truly a VERY vocal minority.
So I inquired with my Production manager about the old knobs. We did have some in stock, mostly to replace older units in case they had damaged product. However, we do have more than I expected.

If you send an inquiry to our customer service, we can get you set up with a different knob.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
If I were to order an asgard 3 with an ess module, would it be possible to get one with the old knob? I personally really dislike the new knob and would buy if I can get the old one.
Please contact customer service before placing your order and we can get you a different knob for your Asgard.

adg

Forum Donor
So I inquired with my Production manager about the old knobs. We did have some in stock, mostly to replace older units in case they had damaged product. However, we do have more than I expected.

If you send an inquiry to our customer service, we can get you set up with a different knob.
Thanks for looking into this.

I just sent a message to Schiit customer service.

Top Bottom