• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are my fellow Genelec owners feeding them with?

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

I hope you're all well. :)

I just thought I would ask you Genelec owners what you're feeding them with as I'm curious to know how people get the best out of them.
I own a pair of 8341's in white in a home environment. They are fantastic and their GLM software is something else entirely! Certainly puts the likes of DIRAC, Room Perfect and ARC to shame.

So....fire away guys. You using digital or analogue input and do you care about the extra AD/DA conversion if it's analogue.
What DAC or preamp are you using....you get the idea...

:)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I am using a minidsp SHD studio to feed digital to a pair of 8361 via toslink for TV and AES for streaming music.
Hi Goskers.

Sounds incredibly efficient indeed!! :)
All digital too which is a bonus! Do you enjoy the SHD? I use the full size SHD at the moment. Optical from TV for all things video and AES via a 110ohm converter to the 8341's.

I have two powered subwoofers so need the analogue outputs.

RobL

Forum Donor
Well, I’m not fortunate enough to own a pair of the ones but I am enjoying a pair 1032A’s fed with an Rme adi-2 dac fs.
Nothing digital going on in these monitors so no extra conversions to worry about, lol (not that it would concern me anyway :) )

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As of today the delivery date of my Genelec’s is 22/08/05.
When they arrive, Topping D30 Pro and iPad.

herculepirate

I have the 8260a
They are excellent

For the last 10 years I have been using direct digital using m2tech evo and a switch for my Turntable through a Behringer ADC.

I missed the connectivity and now have moved to a second hand McIntosh MX151 and using a RPI as a streamer

Yuhasz01

I use my Genelec 8340a with a RME ADi-2 DAC with balanced xlr analogue cables. Use the GLM software for room measurement and profile. RME used as volume control. Very satisfied.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Dell XPS desktop > Topping DX7Pro > 8320. I wish I'd had the knowledge and foresight to opt for the 8030 instead but absolutely no complaints.

Reed

Genelec 8030C driven by an NAD C658. REL T5i sub. Love it.

herculepirate

I have the 8260a
They are excellent

For the last 10 years I have been using direct digital using m2tech evo and a switch for my Turntable through a Behringer ADC.

I missed the connectivity and now have moved to a second hand McIntosh MX151 and using a RPI as a streamer
Looking for a second hand Genelec sub and the new Genelec room correction system

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Roon, pi3, allo digione, Funk spdif/AES cable, 8361a. Just amazing. Volume control via roon, room correction via GLM.

Leporello

A very old Benchmark DAC 1. However, 99% of my listening is via headphones these days.

YSC

Major Contributor
8030c with 7040A holo spring 2 R2R dac in NOS mode. To my surprise the HF roll off didn’t occur here. Using eq APO to tune <400hz

Matt S

Hi Goskers.

Sounds incredibly efficient indeed!! :)
All digital too which is a bonus! Do you enjoy the SHD? I use the full size SHD at the moment. Optical from TV for all things video and AES via a 110ohm converter to the 8341's.

I have two powered subwoofers so need the analogue output
Sparky, do you have any lip sync issues this way? Sounds like an ideal setup if this isn't noticeable.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Sparky, do you have any lip sync issues this way? Sounds like an ideal setup if this isn't noticeable.
Hi Matt. None whatsoever. Absolutely perfect. I've had bad experiences with using TOSLINK in the past but I'm happy to report there isn't.
Even the NVIDIA Shield is set to 0ms delay which is usually (before I used toslink) set to around 30ms.

Spot on.

ctakim

Forum Donor
MacMini or Networked Roon Core -->MiniDSP SHD Studio-->Genelec 8341A with a REL T7i subwoofer. The Genelec and SHD Studio are new, so I am still in setup mode. I plan to compare Dirac Live with GLM, but a priori, I suspect that the Dirac Live has the presumed advantage of being able to integrate a non-Genelec subwoofer.

Matt S

Hi Matt. None whatsoever. Absolutely perfect. I've had bad experiences with using TOSLINK in the past but I'm happy to report there isn't.
Even the NVIDIA Shield is set to 0ms delay which is usually (before I used toslink) set to around 30ms.

Spot on.
Thanks Sparky. Appreciated.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
MacMini or Networked Roon Core -->MiniDSP SHD Studio-->Genelec 8341A with a REL T7i subwoofer. The Genelec and SHD Studio are new, so I am still in setup mode. I plan to compare Dirac Live with GLM, but a priori, I suspect that the Dirac Live has the presumed advantage of being able to integrate a non-Genelec subwoofer.
Hi. You'll have to let us know how you get on with DIRAC. My experience was a bit mixed to be honest so I ended up aligning my subs manually using the "alignment tool" in REW. I then attempted to find a suitable x-over with suitable summation in the x-over region.

Its a part of the learning process though which is half the fun with a sprinkle of frustration thrown in for good measure! :D

Top Bottom