• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for powering (KEF Q350/Wharfedale 12.2/Polk R200) via Nvidia Shield HDMI out.

SDVanman

I am planning on A/B testing these speakers for 60 days via my TotalTech membership with Best Buy. I have narrowed my search down to (KEF Q350/Wharfedale 12.2/Polk R200) and need advice on how to power these effectively (down to 4ohm) via integrated or separates that include either HDMI switching or HDMI extractor.

Budget for powering would be ~$500.

My use case is 100% music via streaming through Nvidia Shield transport. I own a Schitt stack Modi3+Heresey for my Sennheiser HD650 which I can keep or would be great sell off if I can combine quality headphone circuitry into this setup. This setup is based in a small size living room (15x15ft) with 9 foot ceilings.

I have spent many a late night on this forum and while much of what is discussed escapes me; I am grateful to have found a place where things are "measured" and science plays a role in comparisons.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sony STR-DH590 would probably do the job.​

Denon AVR-S660H probably has better signal specs, and less power, but that's a guess.​

I don't think you will find something with a good headphone amp comparable to your Schiit stack at this price point, or with an HDMI input. Most of these things just use a voltage divider (a few resistors) to attenuate the main amps for the headphone out, and they won't spec well. Still, you might possibly be OK with it. HD-650 is high impedance too, so I wouldn't bet on good sound with the voltage divider headphone output.

OP
S

SDVanman

Really appreciate the response.

I am focusing in on the Emotiva TA-1 ($559 integrated, bass management and usb DAC).

I am also investigating my options for cannibalizing the Modi 3 into 2-channel separates. Any feedback on where to focus my search on separates is greatly appreciated. I am pushing the budget to $750.

Edit: Yamaha S-701 (using my modi) or 801 seem like a good fit. Anyone who has feedback between the Yamaha and the Emotiva?

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really appreciate the response.

I am focusing in on the Emotiva TA-1 ($559 integrated, bass management and usb DAC).

I am also investigating my options for cannibalizing the Modi 3 into 2-channel separates. Any feedback on where to focus my search on separates is greatly appreciated. I am pushing the budget to $750.

Edit: Yamaha S-701 (using my modi) or 801 seem like a good fit. Anyone who has feedback between the Yamaha and the Emotiva?
Yamaha is better than Emotiva. Emotiva tends to miss some of the basic design competence stuff. As701/801 are basically adapted from AVR designs so they are reasonably capable and would be fine for the application. The Yamahas have great aesthetics too.

OP
S

SDVanman

Greatly appreciate that insider tip. It's done, three sets of speakers on their way.

R500 towers $649 per
R3 $1699
Wharfedale 85 $999

New plan is to buy a temporary Aiyma which is also on the way

NVIDIA shield USB audio stereo out 12/44.1 > MODI 3 > Temporary Aiyma A07

I get to keep the speakers at home for 60 days. After I make my choice, I'll go back and try to do a better job of matching amplification. Some really good suggestions on a mini DSP flex or 4xHD tied to a buckeye 2 channel. Seems like this might be the most balanced value versus performance option. Just have to forget the propaganda about how amps color my speaker choice.

Top Bottom