• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headset cable (1xP3) -> Splitter cable (2xP2) -> Headphone cable on DAC -> Microphone cable on PC -> Noise from motherboard (Help!)

Rorik

I use a "headset cable" on my AKG K371 headphone:

It has a P3 connector, a splitter divides it into two P2 connectors, one for the headphone output (plugged into my Loxjie D10 DAC) and another for the microphone input (plugged into the computer's front or back panel).

As soon as I plug the mic, the headphone "catches the noise of the motherboard" and starts buzzing.

Is there a way to remove this noise while still using this cable? Or I really have to buy an USB microphone, an audio interface or something else?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
By connecting headphone and mic ground at the headphone, you are completing a ground loop. In your case, that happens to be particularly large, and you have the entire voltage drop over USB power return included.

I would suggest keeping them separate. Use the included cabling for the mic only, affix it to the side of the headphones by some means, and plug the stock cable back into the K371. Not as elegant / convenient but your issue should be solved.

OP
Rorik

Rorik

By connecting headphone and mic ground at the headphone, you are completing a ground loop. In your case, that happens to be particularly large, and you have the entire voltage drop over USB power return included.

I would suggest keeping them separate. Use the included cabling for the mic only, affix it to the side of the headphones by some means, and plug the stock cable back into the K371. Not as elegant / convenient but your issue should be solved.
It was a ground loop, really. Did what you said and it worked! Many thanks!

I just shoved one end of the cable between the earcup and the headband. It's fixed this way.

1645743281288.png

Top Bottom