• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FX-Audio Tube 02 Pro Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 73 39.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 64 34.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

peniku8

Forum Donor

m8o

Forum Donor
Just like the Pass ACA , the beautiful tonality of a violin added to every wiggle of the input waveform. (hehe)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well, I admit this is WAY cheaper than using a MiniDSP Flex to create this particular distortion effect.

But, only with the MiniDSP Flex or something better can you demonstrate just how dysphonic other reproductions (such as accurate ones) of the same recording can be.

Euphonists should recognize that each distinct recording (in fact, each rendition of that recording) is optimized by different parameters, and only something like the Flex can provide that in a space efficient way.

And we could share our euphonia! Imagine everyone publishing their 10 favorite distortion settings for Dylan's "The Complete Basement Tapes" on twitter! I mean on the blockchain. Whatever kids are doing these days, the MiniDSP Flex makes it posisble! The Future Beckons!
May I ask how you add distortion effects with Flex? I only have the 2x4 HD and haven’t seen a plugin like that, is it like open source app?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no interest in this product, but damn, they need to fire their front panel designer. He/she took a basically very attractive product and made it cheap looking and butt ugly with all the white or light gray coloring. Use much smaller fonts for the brand and model number, omit the stupid marketing description and horizontal bar, and you have a winner from an appearance standpoint.
It is not as bas as some of the other FX audio stuff, but I agree; it is almost like they want their stuff to look cheap.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir and FX Audio. This is the sort of thing that tempts me for no good reason. I love that they include GE JAN tubes. If they arrive in good condition, they might last a long time.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a peek at the insides from their ad copy:

H85d3f00706fe4f9381ddd0609510c9eaw.jpg

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir and FX Audio. This is the sort of thing that tempts me for no good reason. I love that they include GE JAN tubes. If they arrive in good condition, they might last a long time.
Glad I’m not the only one who despite all good advice to the contrary is still tempted into making less than well considered purchasing decisions. ; )

I love the smell of smoldering $20’s in the morning...

PeteL

Major Contributor
What does Euphonic even mean?… I have a Freya+ Tube preamp. It sounds really good. Does it sound different thans the other modes? I wouldn’t know, because it don’t have the same gain, but it doesn’t sound distorted, tubes don’t have to. It does have measurably higher THD than the other SS stage tough. It don’t matter to me, it’s a good sounding preamp tube or not.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Ok that may be the best line you ever posted. :facepalm: :D
Well, not this audiophile, who are « THE audiophiles »? Aren’t everybody contributing to this forum passionate about audio?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have no interest in this product, but damn, they need to fire their front panel designer. He/she took a basically very attractive product and made it cheap looking and butt ugly with all the white or light gray coloring. Use much smaller fonts for the brand and model number, omit the stupid marketing description and horizontal bar, and you have a winner from an appearance standpoint.
The funny thing is that the other "FX Audio" little two-tube boxes are less aesthetically handicapped (as it sounds like you may have already known)! I was surprised by the change when I saw this reviewed FX-02. :rolleyes:

Here's an "FX-06J" for comparison. ;)
EDIT: One will note the somewhat jaundiced glamour lighting of those poor pentodes with a couple of amber LEDs. :facepalm:

1645577145143.png

Last edited:

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For $80, you get something that performs well in its non-tube respects, and performs like tubes where you expect it to.

Seems like a good value to me, if that's something you're after. I have a similar little tube headphone amp and yes, it colours the sound, but I like it. Certainly sounds better than the headphone jack on my laptop. Doesn't sound as clean as the headphone output on my recording interface.

Zero problem at all with enjoying tubes in a reasonably-priced product if you're clear about what you're getting. No one is getting misled or ripped off or convinced to believe in magic by an $80 product. If someone ripped these guts out and put it in a fancier box with a $2,500 tag on it, that's a different story.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Here's a peek at the insides from their ad copy:

H85d3f00706fe4f9381ddd0609510c9eaw.jpg
How concerned should I be to see those... umm... semiconductor devices that are made to be mounted to a heat sink... that aren't mounted to a heat sink?

They even highlight two of them!

1645577354926.png

Just curious... ;)

PeteL

Major Contributor
For $80, you get something that performs well in its non-tube respects, and performs like tubes where you expect it to.

Seems like a good value to me, if that's something you're after. I have a similar little tube headphone amp and yes, it colours the sound, but I like it. Certainly sounds better than the headphone jack on my laptop. Doesn't sound as clean as the headphone output on my recording interface.

Zero problem at all with enjoying tubes in a reasonably-priced product if you're clear about what you're getting. No one is getting misled or ripped off or convinced to believe in magic by an $80 product. If someone ripped these guts out and put it in a fancier box with a $2,500 tag on it, that's a different story.
Except that according to Amir’s listening impression, it sounds like c**p. Sizzly, grungy… Don’t sound like fun to me.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

wwenze

Major Contributor
Random thought while reading this review...

The solution to poor output drive is usually a good buffer, usually not-tube. This will allow the "tube performance" to be unaffected by load impedance and etc.

So to tube lovers, do you want to hear the tube's own sound when unhindered by the load, or prefer to hear the interaction between the tube and the load?

KEFCarver

How concerned should I be to see those... umm... semiconductor devices that are made to be mounted to a heat sink... that aren't mounted to a heat sink?

They even highlight two of them!

View attachment 188599

Just curious... ;)
Good observation, but it may be that they used a part that was rated with a higher power dissipation just so they didn't need a heat sink. For instance, using an LM7815 voltage regulator instead of an LM78L15 where the LM78L15 would probably do the trick, but more margin is provided by the LM7815's larger package...?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Good observation, but it may be that they used a part that was rated with a higher power dissipation just so they didn't need a heat sink. For instance, using an LM7815 voltage regulator instead of an LM78L15 where the LM78L15 would probably do the trick, but more margin is provided by the LM7815's larger package...?
I am sure that the components are all operated very conservatively with respect to their ratings.
;)

In all seriousness -- I do hope that's the case. :) Otherwise the 20 dollar bills & lighter might actually be the superior investment.

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
What does Euphonic even mean?… I have a Freya+ Tube preamp. It sounds really good. Does it sound different thans the other modes? I wouldn’t know, because it don’t have the same gain, but it doesn’t sound distorted, tubes don’t have to. It does have measurably higher THD than the other SS stage tough. It don’t matter to me, it’s a good sounding preamp tube or not.
Euphonic is meaningless gibberish for audio quality, but effortless, and enchanting for all to see, when applied poetically. Personally, I prefer to enjamb like precision German machinery. Halt. Stop.

Top Bottom