• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sunfire Cinema Grand Review (5-channel Amp)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 105 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters

KEFCarver

I have eyed a few of the amps at pawn shops over the years and did own one of their equalizers.
Did you like their sound ?
I have two of them now, an RA7501 (250w/ch 8ohm 'beast') and a small PCR800 (200w/ch 8ohms). They both sound fine to me. The PCR 800 has a fan which you barely can hear during normal operation, but can get loud as you drive it harder. But you wouldn't hear the sound over your music at that point. The noise of the older amps like Amir has shown is typically higher than the modern ones, but am not sure you would hear it unless you put your ear very close to the speaker. Here is a plot of the RA7501 at it's rated power- I picked it up from a guy on Craigslist for $225. I am working on my own you tube channel devoted mainly to older gear, just to make my hobby more fun, though I am sure there will be negative comments that frustrate me.....

Attachments

• ra7501_ST_250w latestTHD.jpg
    ra7501_ST_250w latestTHD.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 89

Cougar

Hm... would one of these generation of amps actually benefit from a AC power conditioner?
Yes they would and do. I had a Carver C-4000 preamp connected to a PS Audio P300. Really made that preamp way more quiet and took away any edginess/harshness it had. I wish I never got rid of the P-300 that worked well on everything I plugged into it. It was really good for setting bias and dc offset on gear too.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I am working on my own you tube channel devoted mainly to older gear, just to make my hobby more fun, though I am sure there will be negative comments that frustrate me.....
Cool. Please post a link when it's off the ground. Assholes and trolls abound on YouTube and it's frustrating.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(ps. Rich's amp has a captive power cord whereas mine has a 2-prong connector. I hope the grounding scheme in mine is a step up from the much-debated Crimson 275....)
If you have a 2-prong connector, that means there is no ground connection. As the unit is made of metal we are squarely into the same debate that is being had in the Crimson 275 thread. I.e. the amplifier may not be safe for consumer use. (Unless of course if it is double insulated.) Then again, as many people said on the Crimson 275 thread, it seems USA has no Federal lawns to enforce grounding on consumer units that has metal casing.

KEFCarver

Cool. Please post a link when it's off the ground. Assholes and trolls abound on YouTube and it's frustrating.
I will & thanks for the encouragement. I know, Just what the what the world needs, another youtube audio channel, but I'm retired and think it will be fun to share. I am editing my 1st video which is a review of an old (1968) Nikko solid state intg. amp... hope to be done within the week.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I will & thanks for the encouragement. I know, Just what the what the world needs, another youtube audio channel, but I'm retired and think it will be fun to share. I am editing my 1st video which is a review of an old (1968) Nikko solid state intg. amp... hope to be done within the week.
The world could use more YouTube audio channels that tell the truth about equipment. I'm so sick and tired of someone recommending a certain amp or DAC and then find out they have an affiliate link on Amazon where they earn money for each "recommended" item sold.

Cougar

If you have a 2-prong connector, that means there is no ground connection. As the unit is made of metal we are squarely into the same debate that is being had in the Crimson 275 thread. I.e. the amplifier may not be safe for consumer use. (Unless of course if it is double insulated.) Then again, as many people said on the Crimson 275 thread, it seems USA has no Federal lawns to enforce grounding on consumer units that has metal casing.
Was at Music Direct yesterday and saw some integrated amps with metal cases with 2 prong IEC plugs.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor

Here is a picture from a review of the 7 x 400 Cinema Grand (the higher-power version that comes with Bob's special phantom-grounding signature in gold ink ;)). Perhaps these amps are double insulated, but I don't see such a marking on the case, at least not in this picture (click to enlarge).

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/sunfire-cinema-seven-power-amplifier-11-2003.html

Last edited:

KEFCarver

The world could use more YouTube audio channels that tell the truth about equipment. I'm so sick and tired of someone recommending a certain amp or DAC and then find out they have an affiliate link on Amazon where they earn money for each "recommended" item sold.
I certainly will not be selling anything via amazon :) I was fortunate enough to befriend an "audio hoarder" through craigslist. We have a bartering arrangement where I repair electronics for him and I get some gear in exchange. HE will be the subject of a video or two. There is a chance that something I repair for him might be put up for sale on craigslist or ebay, but we have not actually discussed that and it is mainly as a favor for him. But he is a hoarder (good thing in this case) & does not part with- I took my wife with me once just so she could appreciate what I am not. I am very much in the Amir camp when it comes to Audio perspective, though I do enjoy listening to a few of the more subjective reviewers as they do a good job "talking". Hopefully I will not put anyone to sleep- the 1st video should be <6-8min.

Cougar

I certainly will not be selling anything via amazon :) I was fortunate enough to befriend an "audio hoarder" through craigslist. We have a bartering arrangement where I repair electronics for him and I get some gear in exchange. HE will be the subject of a video or two. There is a chance that something I repair for him might be put up for sale on craigslist or ebay, but we have not actually discussed that and it is mainly as a favor for him. But he is a hoarder (good thing in this case) & does not part with- I took my wife with me once just so she could appreciate what I am not. I am very much in the Amir camp when it comes to Audio perspective, though I do enjoy listening to a few of the more subjective reviewers as they do a good job "talking". Hopefully I will not put anyone to sleep- the 1st video should be <6-8min.

Can you give us a hint of what may be covered in these video/s? I just curious as what will be covered. Will there any side by side comparisons of any gear, sound listening, and tests measurements?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried it on iPad and I got this error but when I tried it on my laptop (Windows 10) I can see the image. Strange.

As you said though, there is no sign for double insulation. The warning notice is also very strange: "Risk of hazardous energy."

CEB26EB8-6E97-445D-8002-A829A23AC1DD.png

Last edited:

KEFCarver

Can you give us a hint of what may be covered in these video/s? I just curious as what will be covered. Will there any side by side comparisons of any gear, sound listening, and tests measurements?
Thanks for the interest. I will be a cross between Amir (he is the best, IMHO), Vintage Audio Addict, XRAYTony, Justaudio... I will talk about some repairs that I did, but not in the depth as these other guys. I will do some listening comparisons between gear on occasion- the 1st one will be between two Carver holographic preamps as I have most of the material done for that and needed to compare them. There will be some basic speaker measurements of my speakers. No headphones, though. The data I present will be less comprehensive than what you see here- kinda what you might on the spec sheet of the equipment. I even have something with my turntables planned- just one thing- that will be kinda fun and entertaining, I think.....

Cougar

Thanks for the interest. I will be a cross between Amir (he is the best, IMHO), Vintage Audio Addict, XRAYTony, Justaudio... I will talk about some repairs that I did, but not in the depth as these other guys. I will do some listening comparisons between gear on occasion- the 1st one will be between two Carver holographic preamps as I have most of the material done for that and needed to compare them. There will be some basic speaker measurements of my speakers. No headphones, though. The data I present will be less comprehensive than what you see here- kinda what you might on the spec sheet of the equipment. I even have something with my turntables planned- just one thing- that will be kinda fun and entertaining, I think.....
This should be pretty good. Hope to see it soon.

Top Bottom