• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamers that do Airplay 2?

radio3

For better or for worse I am all Apple without the time to research, learn, migrate to alternative music streaming. I listen to my music off Apple Music and podcasts running on an iPad or iPhone while walking around my house. The iPhone goes to the speakers through an ancient Airport Express with Toslink out to a Minidsp with Dirac Live.

Does anyone know I streamer that supports Airplay 2 that I could replace this old one with? I suppose since the MiniDSP has a USB input, if the streamer has USB out then that would be how I connect.

I suppose if there is some VERY compelling reason to start using some other streaming service in addition to Apple Music then I could possibly do that. But really I’m very happy with what it provides and do not want headaches or time consumption geeking out on things I don’t need. Hope this has come across as a sensible post and any advice people might have would be greatly appreciated.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
At this point your old Express is your best option. Until Apple upgrades Airplay 2 to full hi res all changes you make will be lateral.

OP
R

radio3

Hi,
At this point your old Express is your best option. Until Apple upgrades Airplay 2 to full hi res all changes you make will be lateral.

There’s nothing else that might have less delay when scrubbing tracks? The latency bugs me a bit and I thought it might be related to the ancient cpu and/or wireless networking.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There’s nothing else that might have less delay when scrubbing tracks? The latency bugs me a bit and I thought it might be related to the ancient cpu and/or wireless networking.
I have 2 Airport Expresses (most current) and I use a Amplifi https://www.amplifi.com/ mesh system. No issues like you describe.

OP
R

radio3

That Belkin looks nice too. Any suggestions on how to connect it to a Minidsp Flex when the Toslink input on the Flex is already occupied? The Flex also has USB and RCA SPDIF inputs.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

nothingman

That Belkin looks nice too. Any suggestions on how to connect it to a Minidsp Flex when the Toslink input on the Flex is already occupied? The Flex also has USB and RCA SPDIF inputs.

Wiim gives you streaming with support for Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect along with Airplay 2. Strikes me as far more attractive for the money than a simple Airplay 2 receiver like the Belkin.

You get something cheap like this to convert toslink to spdif. Not that I’ve ever seen a measurement but it should be bit-perfect and it handles up to 24/192.

telemike

That Wiim looks like a good option. I went with the RPi route, but this is good right out of the box

Top Bottom