• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose a car

HorizonsEdge

The one and only time I have ever purchased a vehicle was 1986, Toyota Celica GTX. In 1989, I moved into Manhattan, NYC and in 1990 I sold it. Haven't needed a car since and I still live in Manhattan. Change happens, I just had a bid on a house accepted contingent on inspection OMFG. I am moving to the BOONIES aka suburbs aka Rockland County. There are trees and rivers and lotsa shit I am not used too )

I need a car. More specifically something in the crossover or small SUV class. It needs cargo space sufficient for a wheel chair and ease of entry for a disabled person who has limited mobility.

I would like to go full electric but I do not think that is practical.

So my starting position is AWD hybrid.

I have look at a lot of cars online. Most of them don't really exist since there is almost no inventory. The vehicle I hit upon as my personal preference is the Toyota CRV Prime but that is not going to happen. In fact, I do not think I will be able to buy a new car at all. What I am actually asking for is what recent model hybrids you feel are worth further research. I want to get a few years of service out of it and by then the global supply chain should have repaired itself.

Thanks for your time!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad, bad time to buy a car used or new.

As hybrids will have a bit more of a premium I'd ditch the idea of that too. It will cost you more than it is worth.

Most crossovers aren't as wheelchair transport friendly so I'd stick with medium SUV's. Or at least small SUVs.

A second hand Ford Explorer Hybrid if you can find one might work. They worked with and mostly copied Toyota on the hybrid part and the Ford name is cheaper to buy than the Toytota name. OTOH, a conventional Explorer isn't bad either.

Hyundai Sante Fe's and Tuscons might be worth a look. The Tuscon is the smaller one.

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

Bad, bad time to buy a car used or new.
Bad time to buy a house too but I have come to terms on paying a premium for everything.

Appreciate the Explorer suggestion.

SKBubba

Rav4 hybrid. Lots of cargo space and easy entry/exit.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Hyundai Santa Fe has front doors that open very wide. I have some knee issues and I find these doors to be really wonderful for ingress/egress. Ours is a 2020. We traded a Toyota Highlander Hybrid (2019) as it turns out the side-view mirrors blocked my wife's vision of medians/curbs and were also a problem in parking lots. She is only 4'10" and we didn't discover this until she had to do driving around town when my knee issues cropped up. The Santa Fe doesn't get that much less MPG either. The cargo area is excellent as well. Hope this helps.

Midwest Blade

Prepare to pay a premium and have to wait. Once you pick the model get it on order as soon as possible. Buying your new place may have been easier than getting a new vehicle.

LightninBoy

Toyota has been making Hybrid RAV4 models for a while. If you keep your eyes open and use the online car sites you might be able to score a used one and save a few thousand bucks.

If you are not set on a Hybrid, we just got a 2019 Subaru Forester and can recommend that generation. We picked it over the Honda, Toyota and Mazda challengers. Its boxy and ugly, but the interior is very open and roomy.

JSmith

Master Contributor
More specifically something in the crossover or small SUV class.
I'd take a look at some 2nd hand Mazda CX-5's, pretty reliable, good on fuel etc.

These examples are under $10K;

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd take a look at some 2nd hand Mazda CX-5's, pretty reliable, good on fuel etc.

These examples are under $10K;

JSmith
Yeah, and no. CX5's are good, Mazdas in general. However, for someone who hasn't owned cars for many, many years, I'd suggest staying away from those with too many miles. Such a person needs at least low enough mileage they'll not have maintenance and repair issues. Worth it for them to pay a little more. Some 150K miles cars are good for lots more and some aren't. Someone not experienced in buying used cars can too easily pick the wrong one.

I'd probably suggest not going over 75k miles for the OP.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I have spms and currently drive a VW Tiguan DSG 2.0l diesel but when it’s due to go back I think I’ll be looking to try the new KIA Sportage hybrid.

edit : sorry, just read you wanted a used vehicle, ignore below unless you can get a good lease agreement.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'd probably suggest not going over 75k miles for the OP.
True, I don't disagree, but not being aware of budget I thought I'd start at the low price end in case the OP was looking cheap. Personally I wouldn't get something over circa 50K miles or 75K km 2nd hand.

These miles you speak of are a bit archaic. Will the US ever go metric? :cool:

JSmith

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The one and only time I have ever purchased a vehicle was 1986, Toyota Celica GTX. In 1989, I moved into Manhattan, NYC and in 1990 I sold it. Haven't needed a car since and I still live in Manhattan. Change happens, I just had a bid on a house accepted contingent on inspection OMFG. I am moving to the BOONIES aka suburbs aka Rockland County. There are trees and rivers and lotsa shit I am not used too )

I need a car. More specifically something in the crossover or small SUV class. It needs cargo space sufficient for a wheel chair and ease of entry for a disabled person who has limited mobility.

I would like to go full electric but I do not think that is practical.

So my starting position is AWD hybrid.

I have look at a lot of cars online. Most of them don't really exist since there is almost no inventory. The vehicle I hit upon as my personal preference is the Toyota CRV Prime but that is not going to happen. In fact, I do not think I will be able to buy a new car at all. What I am actually asking for is what recent model hybrids you feel are worth further research. I want to get a few years of service out of it and by then the global supply chain should have repaired itself.

Thanks for your time!
My advice: don't go hybrid. Waste of money. Buy a good 2nd hand if you must buy now. Hyundai, Ford is probably best bang for buck.

(Within 5 years the internal combustion engine market will have crashed making ice vehicles virtually worthless.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
True, I don't disagree, but not being aware of budget I thought I'd start at the low price end in case the OP was looking cheap. Personally I wouldn't get something over circa 50K miles or 75K km 2nd hand.

These miles you speak of are a bit archaic. Will the US ever go metric? :cool:

JSmith
No metric beyond 2 liter softdrink bottles.

I've been comfortable with the metric system since grade school, but seems unlikely to change in the USA in the foreseeable future.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
These miles you speak of are a bit archaic. Will the US ever go metric?
The .gov tried to shove that down our throats once.
The .people said "No Thank You". ;)

Ken1951

FIAT is dead here in the US. Came back and failed once again. Sad because back in the day there were a couple of nice models. But became too well known as "Fix It Again Tony".

Top Bottom