• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Much Computer Do I Need for My New Server

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering replacing my 2014 vintage I7 Windows computer with something smaller and quieter. and I'm trying to figure out how cheaply I can do this.

All I really want to use the server for is to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Qobuz through JRiver, and apply DSP in the form of PEQ and Dirac Live and also a software crossover before passing the Dirac'd, EQ'd and Cross'dover signal to my Octo 8. (JRiver will also do surround sound processing for 5.1 surround sound movie codecs as well). 4K Video will be passed to my LG C1 Oled via HDMI.

Currently I'm looking at two alternatives for this job;

1. The MeLE Quieter2 Fanless Mini PC with a Celeron J4125 and 8gb of DDR4 memory. It's only $250 and it has a Passmark Score of 3000.

2. An Intel Nuc 10 I7FNH1 Performance Kit for $635. I would add 32gb of DDR4 Memory, Akasa Turing Fanless Case, 250gb SATA SD drive, and Windows 10. It Passmark score would be above 10,000, but its cost would also be north of $1000.

I'm trying to determine if there is some rational, quantitative way to gauge what each computer is capable of doing. For example, could the Quieter 2 be able to pass the 4k video, but choke if it has to do that and also process the audio in JRiver? And is there something that will translate exactly what these Passmark and other ratings mean in terms of what kinds of jobs they certify the computer is able to perform?

I'm almost certain that the INUC10I7FMH1 is overkill, and could probably run a multiplex if called upon to do so, but I'm also afraid the MeLE Quieter 2 is just a little underqualified, but I have no way of figuring that out other than bringing both in house and seeing how they run my use case. That would obviously be a waste of time and money.

There has to be a better way, and I'm betting someone here knows something about how to figure this out. Anyone?

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Wait for arrival of new Intel 9W DTP (32 W peak) hybrid (big little) parts (two pentiums and one i3) that will be capable working fanless and be sufficient enough.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I am considering replacing my 2014 vintage I7 Windows computer with something smaller and quieter. and I'm trying to figure out how cheaply I can do this.

All I really want to use the server for is to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Qobuz through JRiver, and apply DSP in the form of PEQ and Dirac Live and also a software crossover before passing the Dirac'd, EQ'd and Cross'dover signal to my Octo 8. (JRiver will also do surround sound processing for 5.1 surround sound movie codecs as well). 4K Video will be passed to my LG C1 Oled via HDMI.

Currently I'm looking at two alternatives for this job;

1. The MeLE Quieter2 Fanless Mini PC with a Celeron J4125 and 8gb of DDR4 memory. It's only $250 and it has a Passmark Score of 3000.

2. An Intel Nuc 10 I7FNH1 Performance Kit for $635. I would add 32gb of DDR4 Memory, Akasa Turing Fanless Case, 250gb SATA SD drive, and Windows 10. It Passmark score would be above 10,000, but its cost would also be north of $1000.

I'm trying to determine if there is some rational, quantitative way to gauge what each computer is capable of doing. For example, could the Quieter 2 be able to pass the 4k video, but choke if it has to do that and also process the audio in JRiver? And is there something that will translate exactly what these Passmark and other ratings mean in terms of what kinds of jobs they certify the computer is able to perform?

I'm almost certain that the INUC10I7FMH1 is overkill, and could probably run a multiplex if called upon to do so, but I'm also afraid the MeLE Quieter 2 is just a little underqualified, but I have no way of figuring that out other than bringing both in house and seeing how they run my use case. That would obviously be a waste of time and money.

There has to be a better way, and I'm betting someone here knows something about how to figure this out. Anyone?
Also take a look at the new Mac Mini with M1. The performance of the smallest device for € 690 - 790 should exceed the requirements a little.

Top Bottom