• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know that you can limit rates, though I have not explored that. You can limit the maximum charge. The default is I think 80%, and they recommend you only raise the limit to 100% for abnormally long road trips.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get the other concerns, but I'm not clear on why superchargers are one. If you have a PHEV, don't you have some means of charging at home? All you need is a power outlet.
The problem with the Tesla supercharger is that in order to charge the batteries in the shortest time possible they run them very close to the heat limit of the battery. Since a battery pack for a car has many cells the manufacturing tolerances mean some cells may be damaged.
An old colleague of mine went to work for Tesla in a senior role. When I asked him about the strengths and weaknesses of the car he didn't mention the battery life. When I asked him about super charging he just said, "you would bloody ask about that".
He no longer works there but has stayed in the US.
Charging at home is no problem, apart from how long it takes. We have a 2005 Prius, which is simply hybrid, and the traction batteries are still fine btw, don't know how common this is though.
I like the BMW i3 a lot, but its range means I don't want one and adding the range extender adds 200kg and kills performance so is a bad option IMO but recommended in car magazines since few of them realise that low weight is important.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it'll be interesting to see how the EV market develops now that the established marques are taking fully electric vehicles seriously. Tesla demonstrated that if done well a pure EV could be a compelling proposition on the basis of performance, comfort, driver appeal and just plain desirability as opposed to many of the other EVs which were very worthy but not especially exciting. I think two things will be particularly interesting to observe:

How Tesla responds to competition from other higher end manufacturers such as Jaguar, MB etc when competing premium performance EVs enter the market; and

How all of the established automotive producers manage the transition to an essentially commoditised power train, previously the technical capability to engineer and manufacture a good power train was a significant barrier to entry (even if gear boxes were outsourced and many engines were bought in) and was a major market differentiator. Now it is not impossible that third parties could offer a complete power train to anybody wanting one for a car design and there will not be the same differentiation.

And then there is the possibility of fully autonomous vehicles fully commoditising cars and possibly facilitating a shift to viewing the car as a service on demand.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last night, I watched a documentary on Marijuana.

It was awesome!

I'm gonna start watching everything that way!

26229877_10214860054752113_3756063413641277765_n.jpg

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spent some more time behind the wheel of the 3 this weekend. Even more convinced that EV vs. ICE is the digital vs vinyl debate of cars.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be slightly reserved about buying a Tesla now here in the UK since Jaguar now make an electric car and they are 70 miles from me and have an established dealer network and service centres. I seriously considered it before choosing my current car.
My other concerns would be a loathing of touch screens rather than buttons. I know it is much, much cheaper and easier, and probably more reliable but I hate using the touch screen on my current car whillst driving, too much eyes off road and wrong selection on a bumpy road for me.
The other thing is weight. All claim to have amazing performance, and if your only interest is drag racing this is true, but responsiveness, cornering and braking will never be as good on a heavy car. OTOH it is easier to get good ride quality if the car is heavy.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I would be slightly reserved about buying a Tesla now here in the UK since Jaguar now make an electric car and they are 70 miles from me and have an established dealer network and service centres. I seriously considered it before choosing my current car.
My other concerns would be a loathing of touch screens rather than buttons. I know it is much, much cheaper and easier, and probably more reliable but I hate using the touch screen on my current car whillst driving, too much eyes off road and wrong selection on a bumpy road for me.
The other thing is weight. All claim to have amazing performance, and if your only interest is drag racing this is true, but responsiveness, cornering and braking will never be as good on a heavy car. OTOH it is easier to get good ride quality if the car is heavy.

When the long-standing car makers get serious about mass production of eCars they should leave Musk in their dust with their manufacturing and R&D knowledge and their supply-chain savvy. We will see if Musk can beat them. Nobody has, so far.

Top Bottom