• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
I keep thinking Feteasca would do great here, but no-one seems to have planted it.

One Hungarian wine I had when visiting and loved but can't find here at all is Kéknyelű. If you could sneak a few bottles back and drop by, I'll make it worth your while.
My guy in Cluj has a limited, rotating selection, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has one. If so, I’ll throw it in the checked bags with the other winners.

Reactions: SIY
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This was past its prime but still had a nice amount of fruit showing. Rather one dimensional, though that may have always been the case.

20220205_182028.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Surprising, I would have predicted better. Most of the good '86s had the structure to cruise for a long time- the last one I had was a Talbot, maybe a year ago, and it was bretty brilliance.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My impression seems to have come across perhaps too harshly. It was a fine, enjoyable wine. But it was not at or approaching its peak, clearly in a graceful decline. Tannins were resolved but there was enough acidity to keep it from being out of balance. As for the one dimensional comment, Dominique has just never been a personal favorite.

MalinYamato

I realize that I am a total newbie here doing such an awkward thing as giving a link to the Swedish government-run Systembolaget that you all probably hate as you look elsewhere around the world for the best possible whine while I just, not knowing better, simply go to the Systembolaget getting a wine you probably would not consider or pay a huge premium for -- LOL. Today I will go there again to get a Côtes du Rhônein but masqueraded in secret, so no one will get to know I have been there.

a problem, after I drink any of the Côtes du Rhôneins, I feel bad the other day but not when I drink Rioja.

Riojas I like ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Côtes du Rhônein I like
272117_200.png
1869_200.png
19388_400.png
1033384_400.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm enjoying 5 packages of wine flavored gummy bears with 10mg of THC per package. :D They do taste like wine. As a beverage I have a red medium dry wine.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2020 Achaval Malbec was actually quite nice but a bit young. I’ll store the rest a few years. The 2009 I got hold of was of course better.

Attachments

• DCDB14B1-0BFF-4BBD-8AE7-2649F609CB81.jpeg
    DCDB14B1-0BFF-4BBD-8AE7-2649F609CB81.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 43

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An old favourite of mine showed up. 2019 vintage this time.

Attachments

• 8D992891-E316-4390-A879-5955D235D7D1.jpeg
    8D992891-E316-4390-A879-5955D235D7D1.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
A modest, but thoroughly enjoyable, effort by the wine tasting crew tonight. The Ar Pe Pe was the winner in my opinion. Although I do love some Belgian ale as well.

View attachment 190274
I remember when I could get Clape for $15...

F

freemansteve

I'm with Stalin, on this one at least, who said something like:

"Quantity has a quality all of its own".

In the days of company expenses, £100 a bottle was not such a big deal, but now, I go for £5 - 6 a bottle. And have several.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had higher hopes for the wine testing tonight, especially the 2018 Sangiovese. It was not bad at all but a touch bit to sweet for my taste. It has been compared to the "super Tuscans" - I have some but not tasted them yet though.

1648336708478.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Had higher hopes for the wine testing tonight, especially the 2018 Sangiovese. It was not bad at all but a touch bit to sweet for my taste. It has been compared to the "super Tuscans" - I have some but not tasted them yet though.

View attachment 195549
I went through piles of Musar when it was still $15. There was so much wrong with it and it was so damn delicious. The '70 was one of the greatest red wines I've ever had. I think my drinking buddy and I drank through at least two cases of it.

MalinYamato

View attachment 195549
I had that Baron De Ley and Chateauneuf -- liked the latter better :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went through piles of Musar when it was still $15. There was so much wrong with it and it was so damn delicious. The '70 was one of the greatest red wines I've ever had. I think my drinking buddy and I drank through at least two cases of it.

Yes, I’ve had a few Musars as well and while it was good neither us got that Musar feeling that we been used to. Perhaps it was the wine or just that we have raised the bar.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, I’ve had a few Musars as well and while it was good neither us got that Musar feeling that we been used to. Perhaps it was the wine or just that we have raised the bar.
My best guess- when Serge handed things over (and then died), his sons cleaned up the winery and winemaking, modernized everything, and started following modern practices and methods, all of which removed the charm and distinctiveness. I've only had a few of the post 2005 vintages, but it struck me that perhaps they fell under the Michel Rolland spell.

Top Bottom