• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A300 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 33 17.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 120 61.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Noise isn't an issue in the real world
I think you are wrong about this, but I'm in no position to test and have never done any tests to determine what I would find acceptable. I hope someone who buys one will try it out in a quiet room and report back. 12.5 bits of dynamic range at 5 watts is not remotely good.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Oh, this is a bit of a deception. Aiyima has some interesting products based on tpa3255 like multichannel boards... all very cheap. It was nice to think they would have the same performance as tiny A07s placed together...

PeteL

Major Contributor
I think you are wrong about this, but I'm in no position to test and have never done any tests to determine what I would find acceptable. I hope someone who buys one will try it out in a quiet room and report back. 12.5 dB of dynamic range at 5 watts is not remotely good.
I Think you misread. That's 12.5 "bits" In digital equivalence... 12.5 dB would indeed be quite problematic.

Schlippwhip68

Disappointing results there all round. Oh well never mind, I guess their A08 just might have the same issue possibly due to power supply, I hope not as I have just ordered one but other reviews paint that the A08 in a more advanced manner so far...may be a little more time at the chalk board might iron out the distortion issues with the A300...I cant say it would be impossible.
Thankyou for the review.

Last edited:

Saponetto

I'd honestly appreciate so much any kind of instrumental evaluation on the 08s performances...
Time ago I bought a pair of these black bricks and apart of the performances of the internal DAC that are totally subpar, I have to say that BT side works fine in aptX-HD, and the overall SQ via RCAs seems to my poor ears more than adequate considering its price tag.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I'm seriously not challenging here and asking politely. Can you list a handful of sub $200 alternatives that would perform better on the bench and with similar power output and facilities?

Noise isn't an issue in the real world as I doubt this little box would ever drive very efficient speakers (more like mid to upper 80dB smaller two ways on a desktop or small-room stereo system) and I'm darned if anyone here could remotely hear -70dB second harmonic through speakers or even headphones on all honesty... The Topping reference is double the price and only has balanced inputs with corresponding low sensitivity.

Maybe 'we're' looking too low in price as no 'audiophile/audiophool' worth their salt would ever stoop as low as this...

I think the goal (Sarcasm mode engaged) is that a product must look good, measure great, and be low priced for it to be considered good here.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I have a Fosi Audio TPA3255 that promises similar output as the Aiyima (2x300w) with a built in AC adaptor at the same price. Nobsound and BRZHIFI distribute the same unit under their name. It currently feeds two very demanding KEF 105.1s and as I never crank the unit up in anger (I like to keep my neighbours happy), I have never noticed any issues with noisefloor and distortion.

Each to their own.

whazzup

Side question:
Can any of the measurements as seen here, help to show whether someone will experience audible hiss when they hook up an amp like this with their speakers? I suppose the speakers will be a factor, but curious whether any particular measured values can let one know in advance.

HorizonsEdge

After lurking on this board for a while, the first purchase I made based on ASR content was an Aiyima A07. I had gone thru a Sony 190 which died, a Yam r-s202 which was far too large a device and a NAD 3020v2 which could not drive Q150's w/o over heating. I think most readers of this forum would agree that the A07 is a very good implementation and an incredible value. I think the manufacturer had great success with this product in part because of the thread on this forum. A voluminous thread where almost nothing bad was said. Plus there was the potentially bewildering discussion of power supplies but I doubt it was off putting because the provided PSU was acknowledged as adequate. I know i read every page and got alerts for months when people posted. Good stuff!

Fast forward . . . the importance of reviewing this new model is that it holds the manufacturer accountable while showing the consumer that one great product does not a company make.

Side note: I kind of feel that products designed and manufactured during the pandemic with all the supply chain issues and pressures are suspect. Sure there are outliers like the PA5 which is outstanding but my natural cynical nature makes me suspicious, perhaps without warrant.

Walter

I Think you misread. That's 12.5 "bits" In digital equivalence... 12.5 dB would indeed be quite problematic.
Mistyped, actually. Thanks. I corrected my post.

peanuts

since when is this even an issue in practice?
most masterings are less than 10db, and virtually none more than 20db.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Side question:
Can any of the measurements as seen here, help to show whether someone will experience audible hiss when they hook up an amp like this with their speakers? I suppose the speakers will be a factor, but curious whether any particular measured values can let one know in advance.

I recommend you calculate residual noise at your speaker terminals based on your DAC and amplifier combination. Hiss depends on your specific speakers, listening distance, ambient noise and hearing sensitivity but if you have a setup that works you can reference it in the future.

I personally shoot for residual noise of 150 uV or less at the speaker terminals. For reference 76 dB dynamic range at 5 W in to 4 ohms for this amplifier is sqrt(4 x 5) x 10^(-76/20) = 709 uV so nowhere close to acceptable for me and that doesn't even consider amplified DAC noise.

Michael

DSJR

Major Contributor
Mistyped, actually. Thanks. I corrected my post.
I'll never have nor need one of these, so all this is conjecture really... FM radio in the UK was streamed to the relay stations at 13 bit with corresponding noise floor. I swear it was never ever an issue when largely uncompressed Radio 3 live orchestral/choral concerts were broadcast. Maybe academically the 12.5 bit noise figure is poor these days, but I'm still niggling about the silly-low price for a unit with built-in power supply, but then, far eastern manufacturing may well churn these things out for under a hundred dollars a piece.

acetogen

The Aiyima page states the power supply of the A300 is 42V 8.3A. That is a higher voltage and lower current than the A08 that I just got (36V and 9.5 A or so). It would explain why this amp produces as much power onto 4 ohm as 9 ohm, it is current limited.
I now wonder if the A08 is closer in performance to this A300 than the much recommended A07.
Honestly they should have call it the A100, people are just not that dumb.

acetogen

I'd honestly appreciate so much any kind of instrumental evaluation on the 08s performances...
Time ago I bought a pair of these black bricks and apart of the performances of the internal DAC that are totally subpar, I have to say that BT side works fine in aptX-HD, and the overall SQ via RCAs seems to my poor ears more than adequate considering its price tag.
I just bought an a08 and tried it with a set of Klipsch towers and later with the Elac Debut 2.0. I can say with the towers the sound was impressive, though not as satisfying as my Schiit monoblocks. With the Elac standmounts the sound was not really that good. That second setup does not have a preamp and I wonder if adding it into the mix might improve performance. I also wish that Amir would have the opportunity to test it.

Saponetto

Have to remember the finality of this genre of equipments...
These are not HiFi things, not Pro-User tools, these are just honest things that does at their best a very simple job:
sonorize rooms and offices, and serve also in good desktop systems.
Imho, this is a definite business sector, well separated from the typical audiophile needs.
All parameters are to be re-parametrized, sorry for the joke.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I'd much rather have the in built power supply.
Far, far, far more convient.
Dealing with integrating high powered external power supplies is not for any newbs either and could pose a danger to them.
Totally decent product.
Nobody who bought or buys this is getting state of the art of course, but it fits in it's price class reasonably well.
Typical use cases will likely gain no meaningful benefit with a slightly better amp or even a much better one.
Comes down to price and convience.
Eecks out a "fine" vote from me.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll never have nor need one of these, so all this is conjecture really... FM radio in the UK was streamed to the relay stations at 13 bit with corresponding noise floor. I swear it was never ever an issue when largely uncompressed Radio 3 live orchestral/choral concerts were broadcast. Maybe academically the 12.5 bit noise figure is poor these days, but I'm still niggling about the silly-low price for a unit with built-in power supply, but then, far eastern manufacturing may well churn these things out for under a hundred dollars a piece.

It depends on what you care about. A lot of people are sensitive to hiss when no signal or low level signal is present. The key metric here is residual noise at the speaker terminals, this amplifier has high residual noise.

13 bit source material is fine because you are likely applying some attenuation using a decent digital or analog volume control which will reduce the source noise floor. You have no such option with a high residual noise amplifier, the noise is always present.

I will say that once music is playing noise floor is often very difficult to hear unless there are quiet parts.

You asked earlier about other sub-$200 options. They are DIY but I would look at IcePower modules such as the 125ASX2 and 200AS2 (also TPA325x based). You get more power and better noise performance. You still have some frequency dependent response but I think overall they are a better option.

Michael

Last edited:

peniku8

Forum Donor
-0.6dB@20khz is "nice and flat response" by ASR standards now? I mean, I'd agree, it'll be basically inaudible, but I'm quite sure I can remember reviews where a similar curve was described as an "error in the response".
Additionally, if you have 4 devices in a chain with such a "nice and flat response" (DAC→PreAmp→Amp→Speaker) the error will add up and it'll suddenly be -2.5dB at 20KHz, which takes away some 'sparkle'. I might be nitpicking here, but I'd rather write 'Slight drop-off towards 20KHz'.

ModDIY

Too expensive for a TDA amp, for some more you get hyperx which is in a different league.

im guessing thats a simply a $20 TDA board with a power supply and case, i dont think 180$ is justified.
It's TPA not TDA , TPA is from TI company (Texas Instruments), while generally TDA is from ST Electronics

Top Bottom